More Movement from the Waitlist this Year in May or June?!?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NUgirl

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Doesn't most movement usually occur in May? This year seems slow and I hope that it's cause the applicaton process was so messed up!

So does everyone think most movement will be in May (which is pretty much over now) or June? I sincerely hope June!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

i would say june, definitely, because the schools need some time sorting out withdrawls and such in may. don't worry, things have just begun!! (i hope there's a lot of movement in all schools this year) haha. =)

Waitlists can move up until the last day of class. I had a friend last year that got two acceptances in the first week of July and many that got them later. One friend at UCLA Med was called with an acceptance the friday before classes started in August. Don't sweat it, there is time. I am in the waitlist purgatory as well. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I really hope you're both right! I hope that the lists start REALLY picking up in June!!!! Good luck to you guys too. :)

There's lots of room for hope. From a Stanford website cited frequently in these threads, these are the #'s of offers made AFTER May (in 2000, but it was not an atypical year) for certain schools in their consortium:

Case Western--22
Chicago--28
Columbia--13
Cornell--27
Duke--10
Harvard--14
Hopkins--58
Penn--38
Pittsburgh--25
Rochester--40
Stanford--8
Washington--20
So, presumably, everyone else has considerable movement after May, too

I heard from the Director of Admissions at Yale that this year is all messed up in terms of waitlists. A lot of students are still holding onto multiple acceptances, stuff like that. He said it's really hard to predict any type of yield this year, and most movement will not occur until at least mid-June.

Because of a carry over effect from AMCAS delays, expect a slight delay in waitlist movement.