More Naplex Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AmericanDesi

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Just want to give my two cents contribution since everyone on this forum has helped me SO much! I took the Prenaplex(4 days prior) and got a 99 and ended up with a 109. I thought it gauged the exam score pretty well **Disclaimer:this will be long**

If I can pass this exam, then anyone else can. I was avg student in phcy school but worked hard for my grades. So definitely worked hard for this test. Maybe studied 3 weeks but 2 weeks hardcore.

I used:

RxPrep-If you read this book cover to cover, and focus on the underlined stuff, you should be fine

RxPrep Quiz Bank-This is helpful and for me, I liked it because I learn most through testing mysefl through questions and reading the rationale (BTW I am selling a brand new rx prep book/quiz bank in the selling forums)

Random old questions-this includes Flynn which I glimpsed at(If youve been ard long enough you know what this is)--this helped me gauged how detailed I should study

Math-Rx prep was sufficient....plus no time for 120 calc's

The thing with this exam is that its SO random that your friends may get a bunch of HIV, Oncology, Asthma questions, but you only get one or two, or none. So really you have to study EVERYTHING in order to be prepared. I had the most random question about Prevident..I was like wTH?

Here are the types of questions:

When you get questions based on therapy..you have to make a change in their profile..i.e. (this is not a real question) Patient is on Glyburide for 3 mos and comes back with A1c 9.1...What do you do? So while you're studying its important to know WHEN the patient should come back for reevaluation...That way you can decide: Should you a. increase dose b. change medication c. continue current med
If patient comes back for reevaluation in two weeks after being on Rosiglitazone...well thats not long enough to evaluate therapy-----some q's are SO obvious like this but easily overlooked
So same goes for SSRI's and reevaluating in 4 to 6 wks. etc.Levothyroxine, aricept, etc.
I had A LOT OF questions like this...

Then there's questions based on labs...you have to look at 10 med's and 10 lab values(which ranges are given for), and decide either WHAT CAUSED the side effect, or WHAT SHOULD be CHANGED in the prof based on values..KNOW how drugs will affect lab values and what you would do (increase or decrease the dose)

Then I had around 5 to 10 questions on formulations(some were select all-those were so annoying)...Definitely know for Bipolar/Schizo/Alzheimers/ADHD

Then you get questions asking MECHANISM OF ACTION...its funny b/c they will ask the most basic thing, and have all these selections for LOOK ALIKE SOUND ALIKE drugs...if you dont know your drugs, then you're kinda just screwed..b/c these can be easy questions

Then there's the Math, maybe I had around 30...half fill in blank and half MC...There was also Biostat q's..., just calc RR, ARR, NNT, RRR <---easy points

I also got a handful of questions on types of questionnaires used to diagnose things like ADD and Alzheimers...thats deinitely something overlooked but once again, easy points

If I could go back then I would definitely have taken time to look at top 200 but I just didnt get around to it..If you have pharm experience, most likely you wont need to...but its so easy to knock out answers when you know that they are pulling a drug from out of nowhere. And plus, I would get a profile question with some random brand name I didnt recognize, then I would get a whole sleu of questions on that drug...this happened twice! So I prolly missed 10 q's based on having no clue what the drug was

Anyways I walked out of the exam feeling pretty good but then you never know until u get ur score! I was super nervous and so tired during the exam I almost felll asleep towards the end...I am generally the SLOWEST test taker, but I actually finished early. I know it s a different experience for everyone, but if anyone EVER needs anything please dont hesitate to PM me..this was a nightmare for me so I would reallly like to help easy anyones' nerves.

Good luck all!:) and Yeehaw!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
that worries me when ppl say prenaplex score is a good gauge of wat ur actual score is gonna be..

Members don't see this ad :)
that worries me when ppl say prenaplex score is a good gauge of wat ur actual score is gonna be..

Dont fret! Keep studying hard...if you feel like, take pre nap again..I know it costs a bundle but once you're more confident with the material and closer to the exam, you're gonna know your stuff..I didnt feel confident till literally the day before, and I'm sureif I took the pre nap the day before exam, then I wouldve scored higher.

Good luck youre almost there!

what is flynn by the way? i notice alot of ppl mentioning "flynn" but i never got it

Dr Flynn was some prof in Georgia,apparently an awesome dude that long story short, basically gave students the questions to the naplex..this was halted in 2007 & thus the naplex was changed..but anyhow I think some of those questions still reappeared b/c it's not like pharmacy changes much anyway.

thanks for sharing your experience it really helps a lot ... I have been studying the rxprep book like crazy and then i tried to take a few of the quizzes on rxprep quiz bank and got low scores and got so disappointed that I totally stopped studying what was your experience regarding that? is that normal this was my first time taking the quizzes please let me know

thanks for sharing your experience it really helps a lot ... I have been studying the rxprep book like crazy and then i tried to take a few of the quizzes on rxprep quiz bank and got low scores and got so disappointed that I totally stopped studying what was your experience regarding that? is that normal this was my first time taking the quizzes please let me know

I think that after reading a chapter, memorize it first, and then do the quizzes..Maybe you need more repetition?

Dr Flynn was some prof in Georgia,apparently an awesome dude that long story short, basically gave students the questions to the naplex..this was halted in 2007 & thus the naplex was changed..but anyhow I think some of those questions still reappeared b/c it's not like pharmacy changes much anyway.

I took mine yesterday. score comes out tomorrow. feeling SO uneasy. i feel like my questions got easier towards the end. and i heard many times that ur doing bad when questions get easier! i started with hard questions and got easier towards the end with standalone questions!

ALSO what worries me the most is that i had a mixed numbers of math questions that were both multiple choices and fill in the blanks! nobody i talked to so far had ANY multiple choice math questions. their's were all fill in the blank calculations.

i must've been doing bad! my questions towards the end got ridiculously easier; i had a couple on statistics and the most RANDOM BIOLOGY stuff that there was no way u could have prepared by studying. it's something u already knew or didn't, and stuff you just happened to learn during rotation

tomorrow is the moment of truth. i'm so scared. I had numerous numbers off MULTIPLE CHOICE math questions that none of other takers had. and my questions towards the end got SO much easier. that worries me

I took mine yesterday. score comes out tomorrow. feeling SO uneasy. i feel like my questions got easier towards the end. and i heard many times that ur doing bad when questions get easier! i started with hard questions and got easier towards the end with standalone questions!

ALSO what worries me the most is that i had a mixed numbers of math questions that were both multiple choices and fill in the blanks! nobody i talked to so far had ANY multiple choice math questions. their's were all fill in the blank calculations.

i must've been doing bad! my questions towards the end got ridiculously easier; i had a couple on statistics and the most RANDOM BIOLOGY stuff that there was no way u could have prepared by studying. it's something u already knew or didn't, and stuff you just happened to learn during rotation

tomorrow is the moment of truth. i'm so scared. I had numerous numbers off MULTIPLE CHOICE math questions that none of other takers had. and my questions towards the end got SO much easier. that worries me

I feel ya. I am on the same boat. In terms of math questions, mine were like that too... :/