More "old" Questions - GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pinki

Sassy Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi - I'm a 30 yo post bacc student, former Fox News reporter. I did gen chem this summer, now taking ochem, bio and phys (Can you say LAB TIME?) Anyway, I'm concerned about my undergraduate GPA - cum. was 3.35, major was 3.7. Anyone know how much emphasis will be put on grades 10 years old (and older) versus my current GPA, which I might add (not smugly, however) is 4.0?
I'm just worried they'll look at the cum. and toss the pack in nearest "To Burn" pile. Do you think they'll actually look at my relevant "life" experience? New GPA?

Members don't see this ad.

Fredonia,

I am a 29 year old post-bacc. I completed the Harvard University Health Careers Program last year. I am currently applying to schools and have received a few interviews already at very good schools. I can tell you this, I did not have a stellar undergraduate record (in fact yours is better than mine). In my post-bacc program, however, I did extremely well and then got some relevant experience as a researcher and did well on my MCATs.

Initially, I had the same worries as you do know. However, I learned that you shouldn't really be too concerned about your undergraduate record. The "now" is the most important. Just continue to do well as a post-bacc, get some clinical/research experience and then kick butt on the MCATs and you WILL get in. Don't become frustrated looking at the stats that people post on this site. Just be concerned with what you can do.

Good luck...

ajz,

Thanks so much for your post-- that is very encouraging. I am currently taking post-bacc courses also to improve on my shoddy undergrad record.

Some questions I have:
- Can you describe a bit more about the program you did at Harvard?
- How do you think you'll respond to questions about your undergrad record?

thanks again!

Members don't see this ad :)
Fredonia,

The program at Harvard was great. I earned a Diploma in Premedical Studies from the school. By taking orgo, gen chem, biology and physics I earned the Diploma. I have also taken a course in immunology and another in cancer biology. The courses are taught at Harvard by mostly Harvard Professors. The classes are also very cheap (must be their large endowment) with lab courses only costing about $650.00 a semester.

The students are excellent and come from across the country. Many went to Ivy league schools and some went to second and third tier undergraduate schools. However, they are all extremely friendly and very focused on a medical career. By finishing the core requirements at Harvard you also get sponsorhsip from them. This means they will give you advice on medical school and also will write a committee letter. They do a wonderful job. I cannot stress how good their program is and how well it does at getting its students into medical school.

I think my response to any interviewers questioning my undergraduate record will be straightforward and to the point. I was not ready for college when I enrolled. It wasn't that I could not do the work, it is that I did not have the mindset that would push me to do it. I simply was not ready for vigorous undergraduate study. However, I will go on to explain that this is evidenced through my post-bac grades and research work show that I am capable. I can make no excuse but I can show them what type of person they are getting.

Plus, once you get an interview, they are telling you that they believe that you can successfully complete their medical school curriculum what is left is to ensure that what is on paper is the image that you have presented to them through essays, experience, grades and tests.

If you need any more info, I will be glad to help.

THX! You were right - I was looking at other stats posted on this site, and was beginning to wonder if I was out of mind. I know I've had unbeatable experiences as a reporter that can't be paralleled by a 22 year old applicant. Plus, I'm doing two volunteer clinical positions (8 hours/week) and trying to keep the 4.0 science GPA, and am fishing for a research job next year during my "lag year." I guess all that's left is the MCAT. Thanks for the reassurance - most of the students here are baby pre-meds. I'm enrolled in the ASU Post Bacc program - (had to stay in Phoenix because of my husband's Masters program here, no Harvard for me - yet!)

Hey, give the "baby premeds" some credit! I have a lot of respect for someone who can buckle down and get great grades, volunteer, do research, and ace the MCAT all at the age of 20! I sure as hell couldn't!

I'm in your boat. I'm older, with crappy grades from years ago (and no degree). I'm just finishing my bio degree now, and in the last three years I'm ALMOST 4.0 (damn that 1st semester calc), did well on the MCAT, and am applying this cycle. Believe me I know where you're coming from, but I kinda resent the "us vs. them" attitude so many "non-trads" develop.

Yeah, we have "life experience", but what of it? Hang around the planet 30 years and you'd BETTER have some life experience! I'm not saying a little age and perspective isn't valuable, I'm just saying that it's not an excuse to belittle others. I've hung around this board for a while, and most of these "baby premeds" are a lot more mature, helpful, and supportive than a lot of the so-called "mature" non-trads I've met.

Sorry if I sound like I'm on a soap box. I'll get off now. Just remember to give credit where credit is due, and don't stereotype others.

Whoa Racer girl - step off the gas! I totally agree with you and I didn't mean an us vs. them mentality at all - of course to be that motivated, ambitious and driven at such a young age is admirable. That almost goes without saying.

I was just making a very simple point that most of my peers in my classes are tradtional pre-meds. Fair enough. They're young. Also fair enough. Thus the baby pre-med nomenclature. Sorry if that term offended you. I'll back off and not be so tongue-in-cheek in the future.

However mature you think they might be, my experience over the last year has been that while many are mature and wise, many also have little or no recognition or empathy for life's situations outside of the classroom. So the idea about generalizations goes both ways. Some get it, some still think that the world revolves around them. I pray they too someday will have adoring spouses, beautiful children and that damn mortgage to pay!

That having been said, I've really enjoyed being in classes with folks 10+ years my junior. They make classes/study groups invigorating (none have been tainted by the "memo" mentality of the corporate world) and refreshing.

Thanks for the discussion, Racer!

OK, groovy. Sorry I jumped a little there. You sound like you have a good perspective, so my foot is now officially off the pedal.