1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

More on academic renewal? Stressin a bit here!

Discussion in 'Nontraditional Students' started by sgp, Apr 24, 2007.

1. sgp

sgp
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I just went though this early this semester. I had terrible grades from when I was 16 and 17 (went to college young), pretty much F's and W's and a couple Bs (weird I know). Anyway, my school told me that it's as if those grades didn't happen. They are not counted towards my transfer units (the two D I had taken off) even though they were transferable courses or my gpa. Is everyone certain that these will factor into my gpa for med school? I will be utterly crushed and destroyed if this is the case. Since then I have a 4.0 in over 50 units. Oh man....:(

sgp

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. DrMidlife

DrMidlife has an opinion
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    You have to submit EVERY college transcript you've EVER received to AMCAS. If you don't, you can get kicked out of med school. So yeah, you have to submit the one with the F's on it, and your AMCAS GPA will include them. More permanent than a tattoo.

That said, you clearly demonstrate the very good thing called an "upward trend." See LizzyM's comments in the pre-allo forum about how it's easy for admission committee members to see your work broken down by year. Your early work will stand out, as will your recent work.

In your shoes (which I am: my first college transcript is from 1984) I would assume that my GPA won't differentiate me as a candidate; at best (after I take tons more classes and get A's) it will be around average. Thus I would need to differentiate myself with an MCAT score, EC's, LORs, a killer PS, and a solid interview. And like even the best candidates, I need to NOT have my heart set on one school.

Best of luck to you.

4. relentless11

relentless11 Going broke and loving it
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Man, where did this phrase: "academic renewal" come from? It like appeared out of nowhere 2-3 weeks ago. Totally untrue at AMCAS schools. I for one wish it was true too, but hey...thats the way it goes.

Your school was referring to undergraduate work. NOT med school. Always ask the med school, and in this case ask AMCAS. So yes, every college level course you took in your life MUST be included. There are tons of other SDN threads that talk about the ethics, and the legal ramifications associated with omitting grades. In short, med schools have the capacity to find out, and really I wouldn't risk it either way. As the above poster pointed out, they can give you a very bad day. We are 110% certain about this concept. You can find it out yourself at www.aamc.org.

Now if you're going the DO route, and you retake those classes than thats a whole different story. But I'm assuming you're going on the MD route here.
    What I don't understand is why that school said those D grades "never happened". Did you retake them? D grades are technically passing, but the course can be retaken. You should retake those classes that you got a D or F in anyways, especially if they're relevant to your major and/or pre-med requirements. Which brings up the other issue about earning A's in retaken courses. Looks good for DO schools since they count the retake only. For MD schools (e.g., AMCAS schools), both the new and old grades are counted. You are EXPECTED to do well the second time. You have an advantage that others do not (e.g., been through the material once through!), therefore its not all that surprising that you got an A. Being a habitual course re-taker isn't a good thing either. Might imply that you will do well on the second try, which isn't much of an option in med school. So you want to refrain from getting grades that force you to retake the class...but don't get too many C's either;).

5. sgp

sgp
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    After feeling like my dreams have been crushed today (ok I'm a bit dramatic) I calculated my GPA with all the crap grades I got. It is miserable. 3.12 with science 3.43. I'm so bummed. I was so proud of my 4.0, especially in sciences. Ugh. Well I guess I'll pout a while then focus on improving it. :oops:

I'm just switching to pre med form pre nursing (that's the plan anyway) so I have about 40ish units to help change that GPA before I apply. I'm more worried about automated cut off systems than being able to explain anything. I think I can explain it no problem, I was a damn kid! With 40 more units of As I'd have a 3.40/3.76. For someone as anal and obsessed as me, this is really hard to take.

sgp

Edit: Well I just computed for 70 more units, in the case that I wait a year to apply, and came up with 3.52/3.84. I guess it's time to start reading those GPA posts that I always skim over. =)

6. burntcrispy

burntcrispy Member
    5+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Your GPA is OK right now being that you have to take more classes. I stared back with a 3.1 overall and around a 3.1 science GPA. When I went back for my prerecs I studied like my life depended on it and made all As. That with an above average MCAT got me many allo interviews and an acceptance. You are not in as bad shape as it seems. Just work hard and you have a good shot. Also, the DO schools tend to replace bad grades with better ones if you retake the classes. Something to think about.

7. sgp

sgp
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I've only repeated one class, got an A. I don't plan to repeat anymore. The D was in some computer programming class back when I wanted to be a computer programmer :laugh: (17), and then an F in a basic chem class that is no longer offered. That is the worst though because of its effect on my science gpa.

Thanks for your help and clarification. I know I should have thought about this before. Wishful (lack of) thinking I suppose!

sgp

burntcrispy,

Thanks for your post. It made me feel a little better. I'm a totally different type of person than I was then so I'm just feeling bad for my new and improved self. I think I'll do that for the rest of the day then move on. I know I can make it happen.

sgp