More on health insurance and pay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

QM1

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just found this link today. :)
Can HPSP recipients pay a premium to have themselves and/or dependents covered by TriCare during school?

Also, I'm currently in the reserves with 5 years service (no active duty time other than annual training) and would like to know if this will count for pay purposes.

Members don't see this ad.

1. I don't think so. You are eligible for reimbursement of your health insurance but not for your family while you are on the scholarship. Apparently this can change during your summer ADT's but in order to have your family covered during those 6 weeks you have to call Tricare.

2. It won't count while you are in school. Not sure about afterwards.

QM1 said:
Can HPSP recipients pay a premium to have themselves and/or dependents covered by TriCare during school?

Also, I'm currently in the reserves with 5 years service (no active duty time other than annual training) and would like to know if this will count for pay purposes.

1. Not that I have found yet, but HPSP (Army) will pay you $950 towards annual, private health insurance premiums if you are not covered by a university policy.

2. Your time counts for pay. You are in the IRR while under contract and in school. For example, if you had 5 years of reserve time, then 4 years in school, you will be a CPT with "over 8 years" -- for pay only. From the day you joined the reserve 5 years ago the pay clock started ticking, so you do have a slight pay advantage, even moreso if you were enlisted and can use the O3E scales.

Also, assuming you ensure you get your points credited during your summers, you have the advantage of having nine "good years" toward a reserve retirement before you even start paying back your HPSP with active duty time. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
spc213 said:
1. Not that I have found yet, but HPSP (Army) will pay you $950 towards annual, private health insurance premiums if you are not covered by a university policy.

2. Your time counts for pay. You are in the IRR while under contract and in school. For example, if you had 5 years of reserve time, then 4 years in school, you will be a CPT with "over 8 years" -- for pay only. From the day you joined the reserve 5 years ago the pay clock started ticking, so you do have a slight pay advantage, even moreso if you were enlisted and can use the O3E scales.

Also, assuming you ensure you get your points credited during your summers, you have the advantage of having nine "good years" toward a reserve retirement before you even start paying back your HPSP with active duty time. :thumbup:

Contrary to the above, time spent in the AFHPSP is NOT creditable towards determining one's basic pay date. Please refer to para. 010201H. in the Defense Financial Management Regulation.

QM1 said:

Yes. It's called the Continued Health Care Benefit Program (CHCBP). It costs $1996 q 3 months. I and my family are on it. But I am eligible for it because I had to separate from active duty to attend school. I don't know how that would apply in your situation.

Heeed! said:
Yes. It's called the Continued Health Care Benefit Program (CHCBP). It costs $1996 q 3 months. I and my family are on it. But I am eligible for it because I had to separate from active duty to attend school. I don't know how that would apply in your situation.
:eek: That's seems a little too steep. It seems I'd be better off getting a reimbursement (if I can) for my coverage and find something cheeper for my wife and kids. Of course, that depends on the level of coverage.

QM1 said:
:eek: That's seems a little too steep. It seems I'd be better off getting a reimbursement (if I can) for my coverage and find something cheeper for my wife and kids. Of course, that depends on the level of coverage.

I guess I failed to mention my wife is disabled. CHCBP is one of only a couple options for our health care.