More on Personal statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Elric123

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What to say, this is a good question. I am sure that my new Pre-Med advisor will have a lot to say about this, but for the summer I am left curious. In my last post I related my situation, and the very welcome response was to relate to them how I have turned disadvantage to my advantage. As I have been working towards this goal since I was very young, how much of my life should I relate? How dramatic shoule I be? Do I tell them how I have faught for hours to save lives, doing CPR for over an hour once and almost colapseing afterwards? Do I tell them about the 72 Hour Pheresis runs I have made? Should I relate my family history im medicine? Or perhaps about the time I literally had to shove a resident out of the way to intubate a patient after she fumbled and tried for almost 20 minutes?
Theres just so much to say, I am inclined to want to plead and beg for the opportunity to study medicine (LOL).
Perhaps there is a web site with successful personal statements somewhere??

Members don't see this ad.

You "SHOVED" a resident out of the way to intubate a patient, and almost collapsed from doing too much CPR? You are WAY too dramatic....I think school might frown on your "brass balls", knocking a resident aside, and performing a procedure...You need to TONE IT DOWN...just a notch....

BAD ADVICE!!!
Do tell about the shoving of the resident!! In fact, then expound about berating her in public and reaming her on her evals. Her cries fall on deaf ears!! You, private lifesaver, are the most perfect specimen ever carved for admission to med school.

P.S. On the interview, make sure you show them the crickett you did CPR on and keep in your breast pocket for luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Great responses folks! You made my point exactly, how dramatic does one want to be in a personal statement. I know they want to know if you have an idea of what it takes, and perhaps what experiences you have had. I am sure that they dont want to know about evry experience and detail of your life either.
I used the dramatic examples to elicit this very response and I thank you. Ok, so tone it down, should I take that to mean, "don't ack like you want it too badly, don't be desperate?"
As for the cricket I did CPR on, well there have been many crickets, many less dramatic that that one, and a few more so. Unlike many pre-meds, I have spent about 12 years careing for people and I know the realities of and foibles of "Modern" medicine.
Don't be too shocked about the resident thing, at most training hospitals they are lower than janitors on the totem pole, and I do know battle hardned ER Trauma nurses that would beat them if she fealt they would learn from the experience. Many have been shoved out of the way, or just plain kicked out of the room by smaller fish than me!
I appreciate the sense of humor you guys share, and I don't take it all that seriously, but lets remember that we are all here for the same reason. When it comes to the opportunity to study medicine, I do get a bit dramatic because there is nothing in my life more serious than my future.
Thanks Again!

your PS is a delicate balancing act to be sure..do not be overly dramatic..12 years in the field via ems or not, you know nothing compared to those you will interview with..

rather, show your well-roundedness and expound upon the reasons you want to practice medicine, not how qualified you are b/c you suceeded where a resident did not..

good luck