more program feedback...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gyri

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
PLEASE comment on the following, so I can check my experiences against yours.

UW--big community-spirited program with lots of resources, trying to provide that elusive balance in training b/n bio and psychotherapeutic, sites are spread out through city so more driving than one might wish for but flip side is great diversity of patient populations (and attendings,) very international city (with significant Asian, Hispanic, and refugee populations,) didn't meet many residents on interview day, but emails from residents who choose to respond to my questions are universally positive, great training director; now, WHAT is with that call schedule (for all 4 years)? Are people doing tons of weekends? I just can't be sure. Has night float and home call from two of three sites (different two for each.) Is this a malignant program or isn't it?? I feel like I have gotten some very mixed messages through the grapevine. Intense medicine experience during PGY 1, but with good teaching. People seem to LOVE living in Seattle, despite the weather. Residents seem to come from all over the country.

UCSD--more longitudinal flexibility in 4th year as opposed to block electives, a fair amount of time spent at the VA, offers Primary Care Clinic for Psych patients, program seems very well thought out, there are 5 training directors keeping track of things, some residents seemed strangely cool on the place while others seem to think it's fabulous, harder to go part-time during outpatient year than at other programs, program seems to have a strong rep, but some discussion of service needs prevailing over education needs? Expensive place to live...

UNM--really up and coming and already arrived in many respects. Attracting many highly regarded, senior psychiatrists from all over the US who are closing in on retirement but still active and wanting to teach! Faculty very involved in teaching. Unclear on depth of faculty/resident classes. Very flexible program with great cross-cultural issues/populations. Very protected didactics. Good psychotherapy training. Also has Primary care clinic for honing psychiatry residents' medicine skills. Humane call schedule--some from home--with moonlighters serving as night float. 2nd year said to be most intense.
Residents seem quite happy. Medicine requirement quite flexible as well. Low cost of living and fantastic weather.

UNC--strong program with new neurosciences hospital. Potentially great med-psych experience at state psych hospital...strenuous call in PGY 1 but may be alleviated with new night float system; PGY 2 is outpatient year; no in-house call by PGY 3. Faculty seem enthusiastic and welcoming. Lots of cool research happening...are residents happy? Some seem to be, but I just don't have a real sense of the overall morale.
What is it like to live in Chapel Hill area?

MUSC--department has undergone lots of changes/?turmoil in last few years...new chair is from Columbia and supposedly awesome; great call system; not many (like almost no) formal didactics in PGY 1 but tons by PGY 3...dept very well regarded within hospital; not clear on who faculty are or what they are doing b/c I didn't meet any; Charleston seems very nice, tropical, beachy, etc, but rather conservative. Not sure about depth of residents...seems to draw primarily from south...pt population not that diverse. I think residents seem happy there...

I also interviewed at Penn, Yale and Dartmouth, though am no longer strongly considering these as I am couples- matching and my partner was not thrilled by them. But would be happy to add my two cents on them if people want. I cancelled all interviews in Boston, LA, and NYC--seems too hard and expensive to live in such places as a resident with a family.

Please add your own feedback about the above programs--I'd love to hear some other points of view.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

gyri,

i interviewed at UW as well. i wasnt too happy about the call schedule, but i also think UW was overall more honest about the plusses and minuses of their program more than other programs
and so they were pretty clear about the whole call schedule thing.

all the residents i talked to said they have ample free time to have a life outside of residency so i think call is not as overwhelming as it sounds. also, i think they are working on some kind of night float system thing, but its all tentative as of now.

on the other hand, this is the only program i know of that has protected didactic time EVEN during medicine and neuro rotations.

i definitely dont think this program is malignant like some other ones are. i think they have a huge population to serve and that means that there will be times when residnts are there for service rather than learning, but these times arent too often and it ends up not being a big issue

the best things about this program are the didactics, diversity of patient population, Seattle.....
drawbacks are call and it can get busy sometimes....
what's the most encouraging is that UW is the best psychology grad program in the country, and i think a lot of that rubs off onto psychiatry

gyri, i would love to hear what you thought about Yale