more questions for non-traditional applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

reichhorn

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
After doing some research on getting into medical schools, I have realized that I am not a very good candidate for acceptance. I haven't completed Organic Chemistry I&II, nor have I had any biology classes. I have taken general physics and gen. chem, and I got all A's. I have an undergraduate degree in computer science, with a 3.087 cumulative GPA. I haven't taken the MCAT, and I plan to volunteer at a hospital as soon as I finish chemotherapy this winter. This has not deterred my motivation to be a doctor, and I know that I can eventually build a portfolio that can get me into a school.That said, here are the newest set of questions that are plaguing my head:

What can be done to correct my gpa? I know that as far as my first degree is concerned, there is nothing that can be done. I am wondering if merely making A's on all the remaining pre-requisites will be enough, or should I shoot for something more advanced (ie Graduate Degree in something related).

Is it a good idea to try to get into an international medical school and then transferring to an american school. Can you even do this? Are the requirements to such a school the same as a domestic school?

Can anyone suggest some good linkage programs that aren't incredibly expensive or competitive?

I know that I have what it takes to get into medical school, but I just don't know how to prove it on paper. Any suggests to help me along the way will be greatly appreciated, and thanks to all who have posted replies to my other questions.

Members don't see this ad.

Just one more quick question: How do I calculate my science GPA. I mean, does this entail the classes needed to get into med school. or will it include all the computer science classes and math classes that I took as an undergraduate?
Thanks

Ok, I take a shot at this. Just beware, I have only applied this year to TX schools and they have their own application service, so all my experience is with them and not AMCAS.

The science GPA will include all science and math courses you have taken, not just the med school pre-reqs. There will be specific instructions as to which classes to include.

It may take more than just making straight A's in the pre-reqs you still need to bring the GPA up. We have a forum for Post-baccs, and I know there are quite a few threads on boosting GPA as a post-bacc. Whether you do this in a formal post-bacc program or on your own thru a local university is also the subject of many threads.

As far as I know, there is no transferring from a non-US med school, to a US med school. It's pretty difficult to transfer between 2 US schools.

Good Luck.

reichhorn said:
After doing some research on getting into medical schools, I have realized that I am not a very good candidate for acceptance. I haven't completed Organic Chemistry I&II, nor have I had any biology classes. I have taken general physics and gen. chem, and I got all A's. I have an undergraduate degree in computer science, with a 3.087 cumulative GPA. I haven't taken the MCAT, and I plan to volunteer at a hospital as soon as I finish chemotherapy this winter. This has not deterred my motivation to be a doctor, and I know that I can eventually build a portfolio that can get me into a school.That said, here are the newest set of questions that are plaguing my head:

What can be done to correct my gpa? I know that as far as my first degree is concerned, there is nothing that can be done. I am wondering if merely making A's on all the remaining pre-requisites will be enough, or should I shoot for something more advanced (ie Graduate Degree in something related).

Is it a good idea to try to get into an international medical school and then transferring to an american school. Can you even do this? Are the requirements to such a school the same as a domestic school?

Can anyone suggest some good linkage programs that aren't incredibly expensive or competitive?

I know that I have what it takes to get into medical school, but I just don't know how to prove it on paper. Any suggests to help me along the way will be greatly appreciated, and thanks to all who have posted replies to my other questions.

I would consider DO schools - they tend to look beyond the grades more often than allo schools. However, grades and MCAT are very important. I know that GPA is calculated differently via AMCAS and AACOMAS. So you could get different numbers there. You can not transfer from foreign med school to domestic. You can graduate from foreign school and then take all three steps of boards and then look for residency.
As far as grade improvement - first, as you said, you can improve it by acing all prereqs. ALso, you can enroll in one of these postbac programms - I've heard that they are quite useful grade-wise and general bringng you up to speed with biology, chem, etc.