More Questions for you budding Dentists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

turtleboard

SDN Advisor
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone give me a differential for a chipped tooth? I figure there are non-pathological bases for a chipped tooth (e.g., trauma), but wonder what pathological things you dentists might run into when you're faced with a chipped tooth.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not a dentist, but I understand that a tooth that has been subjected to a root canal procedure may become more brittle and thus more prone to crack when stressed.

I am a soon-to-be dentist, so I am not all too sure yet. But....

If the chipped tooth is caused by a big enough stress, the moment of impact might also disrupt the root canal, thereby causing trauma to the nerves (This was actually what happened to me...the nerve eventually died and caused CRAZY ASS MUTHAF**KING pain :eek: like you have never experienced before...obviously a root canal procedure was called for in that situation :mad: ).

As for pathological incidences, the chipped tooth may expose the nerves to the open environment. This may cause infection of the nerves....not to mention crazy ass pain!

Doggie,
Boy oh howdy, I went through that dying nerve pain experience too. I'm sure there are worse cases of pain that can happen , but that dying nerve has been my bench mark so far. Mine was an upper molar. At first, touching the roof of my mouth with my tongue would set off the horror. Then it became non-stop. I was downing codiene laced aspirin lke candy. It didn't stop the pain, but did put me into nightmare semi la la land. It lasted for three days. Finally I barfed (due to all the codiene) and the pain ceased.