More than 1 Away Rotation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

1viking

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be doing an away Acting Intern rotation at one of our top residency program choices. Do ya'll think a second away is necessary as a 4th year student? I will be doing another psych rotation at my hospital with a different attending, unless a second away is needed, then I will go to one of our top 5 programs.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I did more than one, but that was mostly because I couldn't stand being in the town where my home school was.

I think it was good to experience going different places and trying to fit in. Was it necessary? No. Was it worth the effort (and there was some effort)? Maybe, maybe not.

I still waffle about what to do. I have a wife and three young kids, so that makes the issue MUCH more difficult. thanks for the reply.

Members don't see this ad :)
I still waffle about what to do. I have a wife and three young kids, so that makes the issue MUCH more difficult. thanks for the reply.

If that were the case for me, I wouldn't have done more than one. It wasn't worth that much trouble. I would just have done one away rotation at my most likely number one choice.....or if I didn't know what that was, I would have done it at the "reach" program where it was most necessary for me to leave a positive impression....ESPECIALLY if it means you'd be away from your wife and kids. You'll be doing that a lot next year....not as much as surgical residents, but you know what I mean.

Plus the paperwork for these rotations is like taking out a mortgage, except that it involves serology of measles titers (mine did anyway,) two trips to the doctor for PPD documentation, a hundred bucks a pop application fee at some schools.....so on and so on.

I did two as well - both at the two schools I was thinking of ranking #1 and #2 and was glad I did as it helped me make the decision of which I was going to rank first. If I had not done aways at both I might have gone the other way, so for me personally I was happy that I had done them both, but I don't think they were necessary to anything but my own piece of mind when it came to making the list.