missdoctor

10+ Year Member
Dec 21, 2008
New York
Status
Pre-Medical
this section is killing me. i've been getting consistent 7's, 8's if i'm lucky. i've done countless EK passages, tried out kaplan's methods, taken practice test after practice test and still no improvement. i've tried reading more on the side (books, newspapers, articles, etc.) but it's not helping. i understand most passages when i read them (and usually finish on time), but when it comes down to answering the questions, i can't figure out what it is they're looking for. too many times the first answer i eliminate because i KNOW can't be correct, is. i can't find a pattern in what the maker of the questions is looking for. it seems they arbitrarily choose a solution and take any random bits of information to justify it. but i know there must be some logic to these answers that i'm just not picking up on. what am i missing? what can i do to correct my way of thinking? i have one month till test day and am starting to worry.

thanks for any advice:)

C

CaliforniaKid

this section is killing me. i've been getting consistent 7's, 8's if i'm lucky. i've done countless EK passages, tried out kaplan's methods, taken practice test after practice test and still no improvement. i've tried reading more on the side (books, newspapers, articles, etc.) but it's not helping. i understand most passages when i read them (and usually finish on time), but when it comes down to answering the questions, i can't figure out what it is they're looking for. too many times the first answer i eliminate because i KNOW can't be correct, is. i can't find a pattern in what the maker of the questions is looking for. it seems they arbitrarily choose a solution and take any random bits of information to justify it. but i know there must be some logic to these answers that i'm just not picking up on. what am i missing? what can i do to correct my way of thinking? i have one month till test day and am starting to worry.

thanks for any advice:)
stop eliminating the first answer.

OPPforlife

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2009
Clemson SC
Status
Medical Student
well I'm sure others have told you this already but I think you should try to get a "feel" for the passage instead of trying to identify as many details as you can. Once you have read the entire passage, go through each answer choice and ask your self what each one of them is saying (including the question stem of course). Then ask yourself if that answer choice agrees with the "feel" that you got from the passage. If more than one answer is in agreement with the "feel" that you had developed choose the answer choice which is in MOST agreement with the "feel".

OP
M

missdoctor

10+ Year Member
Dec 21, 2008
New York
Status
Pre-Medical
well I'm sure others have told you this already but I think you should try to get a "feel" for the passage instead of trying to identify as many details as you can. Once you have read the entire passage, go through each answer choice and ask your self what each one of them is saying (including the question stem of course). Then ask yourself if that answer choice agrees with the "feel" that you got from the passage. If more than one answer is in agreement with the "feel" that you had developed choose the answer choice which is in MOST agreement with the "feel".

ok that sounds like a good plan- i'll give it a try. thanks!