Morehouse timing boo-boo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GuzzyRon

Son of the Son of Man
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the test at Morehouse yesterday and the timing was a bad mess. First of all, the proctor who warned us very strongly at the beginning of the test about beeping timers had her own stopwatch go off about 10 minutes into the PS section. Worse still, she wasn't there to turn it off so it kept beeping uncontrollably. The other assistant in the room fiddled with it for a while before she got it to stop....boo-boo #1

Boo-boo #2...the proctor announced "you have 5 minutes left" when we actually had about 15 minutes. I had been keeping good track of my time so I was sure we had 15. I raised my hand in protest and went up front to talk to her about it. Arrogantly, she refused to acknowledge her error and I went back to my seat thinking I had 2 minutes left (I've spent about 3 minutes trying to reason with her). Since I had 2 more PS passages I just bubbled crap in like crazy.

She eventually allowed the alloted 100 minutes but her early announcement totally destroyed my concentration down the stretch and cost me valuable points. Her failure to make another announcement that we actually have 15 minutes instead of 5 made it even worse for me because after the suspicious "5 minutes" was up, I kept thinking "she's going to stop us any moment from now". I didn't know she planned on giving us the full 15 minutes left.

I am definitely going to file a report with the AAMC.

Members don't see this ad.

oh wow...thats crazy! My testing center had a group of very laid back proctors who were determined to make us laugh. I'm so sorry that happened to you...I can imagine how much it must suck. Definitely file a report with AAMC & if you know any others that took the test with you, get 'em to do the same too. I wonder if they refund your money for something like that...not sure.

hungry squirrel said:
oh wow...thats crazy! My testing center had a group of very laid back proctors who were determined to make us laugh. I'm so sorry that happened to you...I can imagine how much it must suck. Definitely file a report with AAMC & if you know any others that took the test with you, get 'em to do the same too. I wonder if they refund your money for something like that...not sure.

It was very apparent other examinees were confused, distracted and felt cheated by the proctor's mistake. And I'm hoping some of them would file a report too so I don't sound like the lone disgruntled premed looking for a way to blame the proctor for his inability to manage his time efficiently.

GuzzyRon said:
It was very apparent other examinees were confused, distracted and felt cheated by the proctor's mistake. And I'm hoping some of them would file a report too so I don't sound like the lone disgruntled premed looking for a way to blame the proctor for his inability to manage his time efficiently.

& hopefully the proctor was honest enough to report it on whatever stuff they have to turn in. Also, I wonder if they actually look at those evals they have us fill out at the end...that may serve as a clue if the AAMC actually cares.

Members don't see this ad :)
GuzzyRon said:
I took the test at Morehouse yesterday and the timing was a bad mess. First of all, the proctor who warned us very strongly at the beginning of the test about beeping timers had her own stopwatch go off about 10 minutes into the PS section. Worse still, she wasn't there to turn it off so it kept beeping uncontrollably. The other assistant in the room fiddled with it for a while before she got it to stop....boo-boo #1

Boo-boo #2...the proctor announced "you have 5 minutes left" when we actually had about 15 minutes. I had been keeping good track of my time so I was sure we had 15. I raised my hand in protest and went up front to talk to her about it. Arrogantly, she refused to acknowledge her error and I went back to my seat thinking I had 2 minutes left (I've spent about 3 minutes trying to reason with her). Since I had 2 more PS passages I just bubbled crap in like crazy.

She eventually allowed the alloted 100 minutes but her early announcement totally destroyed my concentration down the stretch and cost me valuable points. Her failure to make another announcement that we actually have 15 minutes instead of 5 made it even worse for me because after the suspicious "5 minutes" was up, I kept thinking "she's going to stop us any moment from now". I didn't know she planned on giving us the full 15 minutes left.

First of all GuzzyRon I would like to thank you for your actions during the test. Everything you said was correct except we actually had fifteen min and some change. Please get everyone you know who was in there with us to file a complaint. I had my whole crew (all four of us) pledge to file a complaint. I have never been distracted like that during a test. My friends and I proctor our practice exams better than she did. She just refused to even acknowledge that had she announced "please disregard the time given you actually have x min and will let you know when 5 min remain", it would have been a lot better and I would have got back on track. This was absolutely absurd and I can't believe she mentioned that she had been doing this for five years or whatever. To be simply honest, she was rude and ineffecient. She has to be reported. Urge others not to wait until scores come back. The sooner the better. I don't care if I got a 14 because it only means that I would have been able to get a 15. She messed up and has to answer to her actions. I hope that the AAMC will do something about the matter. We will never know until we act quickly. Best of luck and remember that you have at least 4 others on your side.

Best

A.Huxtable said:
First of all GuzzyRon I would like to thank you for your actions during the test. Everything you said was correct except we actually had fifteen min and some change. Please get everyone you know who was in there with us to file a complaint. I had my whole crew (all four of us) pledge to file a complaint. I have never been distracted like that during a test. My friends and I proctor our practice exams better than she did. She just refused to even acknowledge that had she announced "please disregard the time given you actually have x min and will let you know when 5 min remain", it would have been a lot better and I would have got back on track. This was absolutely absurd and I can't believe she mentioned that she had been doing this for five years or whatever. To be simply honest, she was rude and ineffecient. She has to be reported. Urge others not to wait until scores come back. The sooner the better. I don't care if I got a 14 because it only means that I would have been able to get a 15. She messed up and has to answer to her actions. I hope that the AAMC will do something about the matter. We will never know until we act quickly. Best of luck and remember that you have at least 4 others on your side.

Best

Thanks for your comments. No no no no...we can't wait for too long to file a report. AAMC will only consider reports file within 2 weeks after the test. So, I am mailing out my complaint this week...Monday or Tuesday to be exact.

GuzzyRon said:

Amazenly, I was there to witness this mishap. I was very distracted by the actions of the proctor which was nonetheless unprofessional. This was my second time taking the test. I live in South Carolina and wanted to change location for the test site (thinking different location will motivate, especially to take it at a HBCU). However, I was wrong and I wish I stayed my arse in SC, LOL. Guzzyron I think I recalled you going up to the proctor. I was the guy with the Army tank top on.

GuzzyRon said:

I was at the Morehouse testing site. I felt affected by the timing errors and arguments that followed. However, I also felt like I did pretty good on PS. My understanding is that AMCAS can disqualify our scores based on any errors. I dont want to retake the MCAT. I want to send in a report, but I'm concerned about what AMCAS will likely do? Will they put a special designation next to your scores, send a notice to medical schools that I apply to, make me retake the test, or give me a refund?

Anyone with experience in this area?

Notzfall said:
I was at the Morehouse testing site. I felt affected by the timing errors and arguments that followed. However, I also felt like I did pretty good on PS. My understanding is that AMCAS can disqualify our scores based on any errors. I dont want to retake the MCAT. I want to send in a report, but I'm concerned about what AMCAS will likely do? Will they put a special designation next to your scores, send a notice to medical schools that I apply to, make me retake the test, or give me a refund?

I guess this must be an Atlanta thing because I tested at GSU and I KNOW I was cheated out of 9 minutes during the BS section. She started at 3:39 and ended at 5:10

Notzfall said:

Although I have no experience in this area, but from what I understand, AMCAS can only void our scores if cheating, test paper tampering, unauthorized assistance or some other serious irregularities was reported on the part of we test-takers. But we didn't cheat; if anything, we were cheated out of time. So, I don't fear any retribution from AMCAS. And if they decide to correct their proctor's error, they won't make us retake the test or make any notation on our scores when they report them to medical schools but they will either give a refund or offer a free retest but only to those who complained.

FLMD2B said:
I guess this must be an Atlanta thing because I tested at GSU and I KNOW I was cheated out of 9 minutes during the BS section. She started at 3:39 and ended at 5:10

That sucks. That's the time it normally takes me to complete a whole passage.

Well guys, here's an update on what happened on test day and it's aftermath:

So I filed a complaint like I said I was gonna and heard back from the MCAT this past Thursday. They claimed they conducted an investigation by interviewing just one person - the exact same proctor. She, of course, denied everything. They also reviewed test date documentation (which was written by the same proctor) and they concluded the proctor conducted the test fairly and properly.

The results of their shabby "investigation" and conclusion was communicated to me in a 4-paragraph BS. In the first paragraph, they simply restated my complaint; they thanked me for contacting them in the second; and they basically refuted my allegations in the third.

Then for a close, they left me with this useless piece of advice: "If you feel your scores are not representative of your ability, you may provide a copy of this letter to the institutions that received your August MCAT results. Again, thank you for sharing your concerns with MCAT Test Administration."

To say I was very disappointed with the organizers of the MCAT is putting it mildly.

Well guys, here's an update on what happened on test day and it's aftermath:

So I filed a complaint like I said I was gonna and heard back from the MCAT this past Thursday. They claimed they conducted an investigation by interviewing just one person - the exact same proctor. She, of course, denied everything. They also reviewed test date documentation (which was written by the same proctor) and they concluded the proctor conducted the test fairly and properly.

The results of their shabby "investigation" and conclusion was communicated to me in a 4-paragraph BS. In the first paragraph, they simply restated my complaint; they thanked me for contacting them in the second; and they basically refuted my allegations in the third.

Then for a close, they left me with this useless piece of advice: "If you feel your scores are not representative of your ability, you may provide a copy of this letter to the institutions that received your August MCAT results. Again, thank you for sharing your concerns with MCAT Test Administration."

To say I was very disappointed with the organizers of the MCAT is putting it mildly.

Like that would help if you sent it to med schools. If AAMC says nothing happened you would look bad to send that in. I'm sorry to hear what happened. Hopefullly the computerized MCAT will help the situation when I take it.

Like that would help if you sent it to med schools. If AAMC says nothing happened you would look bad to send that in. I'm sorry to hear what happened. Hopefullly the computerized MCAT will help the situation when I take it.

You're so right! They threw in that bait, which if I swallowed, would have sealed my hopes of an acceptance this year (if not beyond). No medical school will read that crap and cut me some slack. Sending their letter in along with their application will make me look like an uber-desperate premed that will not stop at anything in the attempt to get an acceptance.

Count your blessings, you lucky souls taking the computerized MCAT! At least you'd have a computer to ACCURATELY time your test as opposed to some stupid proctor that cannot tell time correctly!