Morehouse vs Howard vs Meharry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fireball

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Where would you go and why?

Members don't see this ad.

I've interviewed at all three, so here are my opinions on each:

Morehouse
*Most organized black school. They knew my name as soon as I walked in to the office
*Very small class size ranging around 55 students
*They have the nation's only National Primary Care Center just for Morehouse students
*Campus is seriously gated in with only one entrance so the security is on point despite the surrounding area being a little seedy
*They are relatively new so the strong stereotypes haven't been formed for the school as with Howard and Meharry
*They have a mandatory prematriculation program, so school starts in June!
*They seem to set the bar a tad higher for their entering students in terms of GPA and MCAT
*Morehouse students get to rotate at the Grady Hospital which was described by the Dean of Admissions as "so busy and overtaxed that you will have more hands on experience than you probably want"

Howard
*As with most of the black schools, the surrounding area is a tad seedy, but at Howard the campus is open so anyone can just walk on from the city
* Very city/urban environment
*Facilities are dated, but thats not uncommon in the black schools
*Bigger class with around 120 students
*Long long long history of producing amazing black doctors
*Almost a dozen students scored in the 90th percentile on their Step 1 boards, so good things are happening there
*Grades system is Honors, Satisfactory, Unsatisfactory
*Amazing brand new shiny library

Meharry
*Nice cost of living
*Country environment with a short drive out
*Smaller class of around 80
*Long long long history of producing amazing black doctors
*Hospital doesn't have level 1 trauma center
*Older dated facilities

Overall, all the schools are good and it would be hard to choose between them unless you preferred a smaller class or a city environment. I would choose Morehouse simply because of the ability to rotate and work at Grady, their small class size, their organization, their newer nicer facilities, their security, and their good match lists.

Reactions: 2 users
Reviving for current opinions :)

I may be mistaken but i believe all 3 of these schools has secondary threads in the school specific forum. If you look in those threads they usually have a barrage of info about the school that other ppl have posted.