morehouse vs howard

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Akscal

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which would you chose and why?

Members don't see this ad.

morehouse, because a very small class size = better attention from professors and less competition among students

Members don't see this ad :)
Why should it not be a serious inquiry?

I'd say Morehouse, hands down. When students are telling you to go somewhere else and RUN, you've got to wonder (as in people's experiences at Howard). But at the same time, Howard has graduated some incredible people who do some incredible things within their communities, just as Morehouse does. For either school, you've also got great opportunities to serve disadvantaged communities. Unfortunately, something has happened to Howard as of late that has not given its students very pleasant experiences there and I'm not too sure about their retention rates.

Cooper_Wriston, why wouldn't this be a real question?

There was a thread in the Caribbean forum about a radio program on Carib. Med. Schools.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=103848

The show (and the thread) also talked about Howard and Meharry, and unfortunately, the findings weren't all that positive.

Just thought I'd share this with you as it might be relevant to your decision.

My vote is for Morehouse School of Medicine. Which by the way is not affiliated with the undergrad Morehouse College unlike Howard med is with Howard Undergrad.

Originally posted by Heal&Teach
I'd say Morehouse, hands down. When students are telling you to go somewhere else and RUN, you've got to wonder (as in people's experiences at Howard). But at the same time, Howard has graduated some incredible people who do some incredible things within their communities, just as Morehouse does. For either school, you've also got great opportunities to serve disadvantaged communities. Unfortunately, something has happened to Howard as of late that has not given its students very pleasant experiences there and I'm not too sure about their retention rates.
I am a first year at howard, and I am happy about my choice to come here. There are others who are not as happy but I think those are the ones who had misconceptions about what med school was going to be like. These are the people who are trying to carry on the same lives and do the same things they did in undergrad or wherever they came from. If you are not prepared to make a lot of sacrifices and work your butt off, you will struggle here and you will not be happy. Med school is hard, not just at howard, but anywhere you go. No one is going to hold your hand here, so what you get out of your time here is largely due to what you are willing to put into it. If you are a bright student and manage your time efficiently you can enjoy yourself outside of school while performing well in your classes. There are a lot of good things about howard; the best thing is the students, we have a lot of fun together and are a pretty close knit group. The education you receive here is on par with any other school in the country, and if you can get through it and make the best of your time here, you will become a competent physician.