Morehouse vs. Michigan State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

16medstu

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Out of state and no family ties for both schools.

Which one would you choose?

Members don't see this ad.

Michigan State hands down unless the price difference is extreme and/or you have an affinity for doing primary care in underserved African American neighborhoods.

Out of state and no family ties for both schools.

Which one would you choose?

If it were me, I'd choose Morehouse (and I hate Atlanta) because you get to rotate through Grady vs. at Michigan state where they have multiple satellite campuses.

What might help you with your decision is to make a list (feel free to post it) of the pros and cons of each school. Articulating your thoughts might give your persepective on which school might be a better fit for you

Members don't see this ad :)
If it were me, I'd choose Morehouse (and I hate Atlanta) because you get to rotate through Grady vs. at Michigan state where they have multiple satellite campuses.

What might help you with your decision is to make a list (feel free to post it) of the pros and cons of each school. Articulating your thoughts might give your persepective on which school might be a better fit for you

I would also choose MSU unless you are really interested in spending a lot of time with underserved populations.

Wait until you receive financial aid to make a decision. All else being equal Michigan State has more resources, better ranked, and will give you better opportunities if you want to specialize. Morehouse has a small class size and has great rotations, but the resources are not as many as Michigan State. Unless you can't stand the cold, go to Michigan

Wait until you receive financial aid to make a decision. All else being equal Michigan State has more resources, better ranked, and will give you better opportunities if you want to specialize. Morehouse has a small class size and has great rotations, but the resources are not as many as Michigan State. Unless you can't stand the cold, go to Michigan

In 2011, Moreshouse SOM had 23.1 million in NIH funding; MSU CHM had 14.1 million (MSU osteopathic had an additional 5.9 millions)
http://report.nih.gov/

I just think that the experience you would have at either of these schools trumps any relative ranking difference. I'm not conviced that MSU is even that much better ranking-wise. It's ranked #83, but US News stops ranking after #86, so they could really be just a couple spots apart which is negligible. The major difference is location (large city vs small city, Deep South versus FAR North) as well as student body. I think only the OP can decide where he/she would like to be based upon personal preferences.

In 2011, Moreshouse SOM had 23.1 million in NIH funding; MSU CHM had 14.1 million (MSU osteopathic had an additional 5.9 millions)
http://report.nih.gov/

My mistake - I didn't check the numbers.

Look at the financial aid packages and COA. I think Michigan State is expensive for out of state students while Morehouse is one flat rate private tuition.

My mistake - I didn't check the numbers.

Look at the financial aid packages and COA. I think Michigan State is expensive for out of state students while Morehouse is one flat rate private tuition.

Yes, very true. I remember seeing the MSU is something like 70K/year in tuition for OOS (when even the "expensive" private schools like GW are 49K). DEFINITELY choose Morehouse in that case if MSU didn't give you any grants/scholarships. Also, from my perspective, Atlanta would be a fun place to spend four years.

Morehouse:
Pros:
small class size (55ish)
$40,000 tuition
more diverse city of Atlanta
rotate through Grady hospital great exposure(county really crowded lots of exposure)
clinial rotations close and at Grady
super supportive faculty

Cons:
people have never heard of Morehouse
Inner city-- may have to drive 30 minutes to live in good area and put my child in good school (unsure about this.. never really explored atlanta)
A,B, C letter grading system

Michigan State:
Pros:
people have heard of Michigan State (I dont know if name means anything when applying to residency)
New facilities at Grand Rapids site
Pass/Fail

Cons:
$60, 000+ tuition
large class (200)
unsure of where I will be placed for rotations- may have to move around Michigan (several rotating sites: detroit/grand rapids/lansing)
not diverse

Can any current students can answer these questions about their school?

1. Morehouse's grading system is letter grades instead of pass/fail. Did you find it more stressful? Do they report the grade point average in your residency recommendation letter? Are the classes curved?

2. Did you feel well prepared for the boards? did Morehouse/MSU give you time to study or have a prep program?

3. Are all the mandatory rotations located near the school? How did you feel about rotating through Grady? did you have a good experience?

4. Why did you choose Morehouse/MSU? Did you have a good med school experience?

5. Did you find the faculty very supportive?

6. Did you like being in a smaller class? Because of the smaller class, did you get more individualized attention?

7. Now that you have gone through med school and completing residency, what would you do different? what aspects in a medical school should be taken into consideration?

8. Were there some negative aspects about Morehouse.MSU?

Status
Not open for further replies.