Mormon Missions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cougarY

MD aware
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This might be answered in another thread but for other returned mormon missionaries...how did you list your mission on EC? And how many hours a week did you put? What did you put for the activity title "church proselytizing mission?" Just want to get some feedback on how people are putting that in...

Members don't see this ad.

A search for Mormon Mission would have brought you this answer from LizzyM, among many others.

In the experience section. Experience is:
Volunteer, clinical or Volunteer, non-clinical depending on what you did there.

Put Spring 2005 - Spring 2008
leave hours per week blank.
In the free text section describe the nature of the trip (1 week, 10 days, 2 weeks whatever, each spring for 4 years. Describe what you did whether building, teaching, assisting, etc. Estimate the number of hours per week during the period you were abroad and put that in the text. If you put April 2005-March 2008 in the time frame section and write 50 hours per week it might be misinterpreted as 50 hours per week for 4 years and any adcom would know that is BS or inaccuracy.

Members don't see this ad :)
A search for Mormon Mission would have brought you this answer from LizzyM, among many others.

LizzyM's reply was in response to a couple spring break missions someone did. A mormon mission is full-time for 2 years. So I was just wondering what other returned missionaries had put for the time because you're out the door by 10 am and don't get back till 9 pm but even the time before and after those times you're studying or doing other assignments still related to the mission.

Here's a quote from ElderJack21 in a thread about Mormon Missions:
I ended up using my mission on two bullets of ECs (although they didn't make or break me, it was nice to set me apart at most schools (besides UT).

I was involved in multiple community service projects and activities while on my mission, so I chalked it up to a volunteer-community service bullet. (organizing english classes, volunteer services at hospitals, hospice visits, park clean-up, playground construction at schools, anti-drug-alcohol programs at elementry schools).

Obviously I mentioned that I proselyted, was "in charge" of organizing meetings for the congregation, overseeing other missionaries in respect to securing housing, health care, etc, training. Great leadership stuff for a leadership bullet.

Taking two years off to do something like a mission shows commitment, drive, and a level of altruism and maturity needed in medicine.
Here's a link to the entire thread so that you can read it in context. It's from 2006, but continues to hold true.

My error. I glanced through too many threads at once for you. The one I linked is from this year. Thanks, moe.

Last edited:
Here's a quote from ElderJack21 in a thread about Mormon Missions:

Here's a link to the entire thread so that you can read it in context. It's from 2006, but continues to hold true.

It continues to hold true because it was from earlier this year...

and yes, my comment in there was ******ed. I get in a mood some days.

So where did you serve?

Thanks for the links to those threads. I had read some of those already but others I hadn't so I appreciate it.

And in response to Twigg...I served in Venezuela but ended up finishing in the states because the church took all the missionaries out of Venezuela because Chavez wasn't renewing visas.