Morning after pill in the ED

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

makesomerheum

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know the protocol for a patient who comes to the ED with the desire for the "morning-after pill?" Do ED docs prescribe the med, refer to ObGyn, consult ObGyn, refer to PCP? With my limited experiences, I have not run in to this yet but assume it would come up.

Members don't see this ad.

If you think that prescribing/giving 2 tablets of an oral contraceptives is the same as an " elective abortion" - that is a whole different issue and argument. Morning After pills are done quit in most EDs. In fact there is some move to make it non prescription. No Big deal.

As far as an " abortion pill" RU 486 - No - It doesnt happen

The earlier the medication is given, the better it is at preventing pregnancy. Thus it is completely appropriate to prescribe it out of the ED.

Members don't see this ad :)
My current hospital is Catholic and therefore we cannot give out contraception in the ED. We can refer someone to a planned parenthood clinic if necessary.

In fact there is some move to make it non prescription.

If we're talking about Plan B (levonorgestrel), it's already available over-the-counter, as long as you're over 18. (The medical/scientific advisory panel asked for it to be available without restriction; the over 18 part is an entirely political decision).