Mortal Kombat (the final battle!)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Original

Ogori-Magongo Warrior
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Once upon a time was a great warrior who claimed to have been accepted to Duke's MD/PhD program. His name was Original and he had a great many fighting styles ranging from ninjitsu to matrix-type cinematics.

Once upon a simultaneous time lived a truely brave fighter. A fierce swordsman and a leader of many an army. His name was 8675309 and he wasn't playing around. This legendary force wasn't going to let Original get away with his "lie" about getting an acceptance

LET THE TOURNAMENT BEGIN!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

so whats the deal? i vote for you, Original! you are, indeed, very original. well, i am just a fan of all math people :D

cool I'm winning already.

Members don't see this ad :)
put it behind! nothing to be fighting about, just wishful thinking. i am sure you get in there! glad you are so confident; i wish iwas too...

Thanks, Original, for removing the numbers guy from the other thread! I'm just sorry you have to be in here with him! But you volunteered -- must be a guy thing! Anyway, you have my support as well.

I just dont understand why that numbers guy wants to sensationalize everything and create conspiracy theories; I dont even know the OP! I guess he just had too much for one night.

Lady in Red:

It's not too difficult being confident when you have an acceptance. But I'll take the complement all the same ;)

Conspiracyt theories!!!! ha! Resident Alien, mind sharing what country are you from? your english is great, must be from Canada? i just became a resident alien last month! i finally feel like a person!

Lady in red:
Nah, the mounties wouldnt take me :) Im from Pakistan. Where are you from? Canada? (just a guess :p ).

Pakistan? Wow! i am from Russia (with love) technically, but spent my life in Germany and Poland.

I must confess too, I lived in the Middle East for most of my life.

Wow that is nice! It's like a global village in here. I'm from niGERia (and that's the only way to pronounce it) :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by SMW:
•Thanks, Original, for removing the numbers guy from the other thread! I'm just sorry you have to be in here with him! But you volunteered -- must be a guy thing! Anyway, you have my support as well.•••

SMW thanks alot for your support. I was hoping 8675309 would show up here so I can b!tch-slap him from here to Kondus.

Original, being a fellow math-dude, I gotta root for you! Congrats on the acceptance, where else have you been accepted/waiting to hear from?

I could've cut my message short here, but since I know at least one other math person is gonna read this, and we have at least one math-person-lover *winking at lady in red* I'll post this amusing proof for you all to muse over ;)

1is2.gif

Where's the trick? dont give it away if you know it! Just message me and I'll credit the first person(s) that find the answer.

Since a=b, when you divided by (a-b) in step 5 you divided by zero [(a-b) = 0] which is not allowed.

I dont mean to say anything mean now, but what does "dont give it away if you know it!" mean, 8675309?! :)

Great 8675309! However, the instructions were to send the trick via private message. Anyway I'm still proud of you.

USeF The Bull:
That was a nice one! Would you believe that I have a make up exam in Real analysis in the morning; and I have homework piled to the roof in topology and functional analysis; and yet I'm getting all excited about this duel with 8675309. I'm going down this time baby! Game over.
:mad:

I think there are quite a few of us Math people around here... We need to stick up for each other... LOL

Now all I need is a clever math-related sig to clearly identify myself as part of the ever-cool math clique... ;)

brandonite, why dont you change your name to "brainonite"? Or you can be a mister "Fibonacci"
I think math is the best college major; (please don't critisize me! this is just an opinion).

O.K I got a few private messages from people who are interested in knowing what the deal is with this Duke thing (whether I lied or not). I didn't lie. Duke is NOT on rolling addmissions. However, a few spots in the MSTP are early notification spots. I was lucky to get notified of my acceptance merely 10 days after my interview there. I hope that clears things up. Now I REALLY have to go study. I'll be back tomorrow. You guys are great. And 8675309 please keep being such a jerk. It helps spice things up around here. Aurevoir!

Well, then I would have at least something clever to put in my sig - "The SDNer formerly known as ..." ;)

Seriously though, I agree completely. Not only do you learn how to think critically and avoid any labs in senior years, but you get to engage in witty banter about sets and impress friends and coworkers with your knowledge of math trivia. At least, I assume they're impressed... ;)

3 minutes!
Damn, that teaches me to underestimate SDN! Amen to the math folk, no labs, critical thinking, and a major that provides, as one friends put it, 'formal training in logic'

last semester I was showing this to a bunch of fellow Student Govt. Senators and none could figure it out. Should've guessed, politicians that make decisions on everything would know the least. :D

and yea.. what happened to the private msg? hrmph.

After three years involvement in University governance, I've come to realize that one should never underestimate the lack of logic of most people on University Senates. ;)

So, I think that might just be a comment on those involved in University Senates than anything else. It's all about problem solving, something politicians have little experience. ;)

Having not read all the posts that lead up to this battle, I may be speaking out of turn, but has anyone really looked at 8675309's number? It is the phone # to "Jenny" in a song from the early 80s. I would guess that the poster is actually a numbers "gal" (probably named Jenny), not that numbers "guy". It's probably totally irrelevant, but having liked that song so long ago (I guess it really dates me), I'm surprised no one has noticed it. Or maybe someone has, and I just missed the post.

See the last few pages of posts in the "Acceptances, Rejections, Waitlisted" thread. The connection has been duly noted by sar520, and I think you'll agree after reading all the posts (hey, it's something to do while waiting for AMCAS and these schools to do their jobs!), that the "numbers guy" has to be a guy! :D

original,

nice battle, i vote for you!

i can't believe this guy is so preoccupied with calling you a liar. i feel bad for not getting home in time to come to your defense!