Mortar Board Honor Society?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pumpkin64112

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is this something I should even bother with accepting the invitation and paying the fee if I'm a second semester senior and already accepted to medical school? I'm leaning towards no....but if its actually something really selective I would consider it?

Members don't see this ad.

IMO, the only society worth joining is PBK. I'm not familiar with the mortar board honor society, so I can't really comment on it specifically.

I was invited to the mortar board and when I looked into it, I decided not to pay much attention to it. It sounds nice, but it basically reminded me of like the "National Honor Society for High School Scholars" which is more of a "I have money to pay for a nice honor society title" rather than a "I'm a collegiate scholar who was exclusively selected."

But then again, that may just be me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Motor boat honor society? Sign me up!

Personally I think all honor societies are bogus, but that's just me. Other than honors by GPA, what are they selecting you on? Whether the professor you talk to once a week can remember your name? Your willingness to pay a $50 scam entry fee?

Will your patients care? The program directors selecting you for residencies?

I can't imagine they would...

Is this something I should even bother with accepting the invitation and paying the fee if I'm a second semester senior and already accepted to medical school? I'm leaning towards no....but if its actually something really selective I would consider it?
You're already accepted, don't bother.
Motor boat honor society? Sign me up!

Personally I think all honor societies are bogus, but that's just me. Other than honors by GPA, what are they selecting you on? Whether the professor you talk to once a week can remember your name? Your willingness to pay a $50 scam entry fee?
Mortar Board actually uses service activity as a major criterion for selection, so it's not enough to be strong academically. Still, unless you're actually going to accomplish something in MB, it's not worth joining, especially for med school apps where your service activities will be seen anyway.

Mortar Board actually uses service activity as a major criterion for selection, so it's not enough to be strong academically. Still, unless you're actually going to accomplish something in MB, it's not worth joining, especially for med school apps where your service activities will be seen anyway.

My point is that exactly. The medical school application makes honor societies worthless - GPA and MCAT are completely transparent about your academic capability. Your service work demonstrates your passion to work in the wake of others. You activities expands upon your ambitions and goals. Your interview elucidates your personality.

What are honors societies if not rampant money-sucking and ego-stroking?

Keep in mind I belonged to several, and they were all bogus résumé-inflaters.

I did Mortar Board and got a lot out of it in terms of meeting people, volunteering and development. It'll look nice but keep in mind the experience is what you make of it - it will not by no means make or break your application.

Decide if you have the time and inclination to devote to it and expand on your decision from there.