1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Most appropriate practice test for a first time diagnostic?

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by DougFlutie, Dec 16, 2005.

1. DougFlutie

DougFlutie Early Retirement
    10+ Year Member

So, I'm finally ready to start prepping for April. Which test should I take to gauge my strengths/weaknesses and see which direction to head? I've heard many people use AAMC 3r, while others use Kaplan or EK.

Suggestions are very appreciated.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. HunterGatherer

HunterGatherer HunterGatherer
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    AAMC 3R or any EK exam.

also there is a free online TPR exam and a free online kaplan exam. Both are full length and may be used for diagnostic or part of your practice exams. I'd do those before the AAMC exams though.

4. DougFlutie

DougFlutie Early Retirement
    10+ Year Member

Thank you. But more specifically, which one will give me the most accurate idea of where my abilities are? I'm a little concerned that one from TPR or Kaplan might be extraneously difficult in order to terrify premeds into taking their courses.

5. DrBowtie

DrBowtie Final Countdown
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    6-8 AAMC are thought to be most accurate. However, use 3R for a diagnostic. The diag won't matter much except point you to weak areas in your content knowledge. Save the best exams for right before the test such that you can get a good idea of how you will score on the real deal a week or two before it.