Most common Infectious Disease consults

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bugsterizer83

huggle buggie
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are the most common reasons I.D. is consulted? I start intern year (categorical medicine) in June on the I.D. consult service, and want some topics to read-up on.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
infection

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Daaaamn. I'm just saying. If that's how it was on a daily occurrence I'd shoot for it in a heartbeat. As it currently stands... I'll pass. God bless ID docs, though.

Well the treatment was "well, here's some pills"... not exactly something to change your life.

fever of unknown origin, management of invasive fungal and mycobacterial infections; management of things like pneumonia for surgical services.

I want to discharge a patient on abx but I have to pretend I don't know what to do so that the ID service will get all the labs, handle picc issues, etc.

We tried ancef and it didn't work.

Complicated patient with 100 day admission at Outside Hospital. Someone needs to go through the chart and summarize it for the rest of us.

"We're sure it's not osteo, we are keeping the hardware"

Reactions: 4 users
"I need your approval to order this antibiotic so that the hospital can appear conscientious about avoiding creation of resistant bugs. Unfortunately, you have not seen this patient and will be reluctant to tell me not to broaden the coverage for liability reasons. This means I will be able to order whatever I call you about, I just have to go through the extra step of calling you, thereby wasting everyone's time and doing nothing to stop the spread of resistance."

Reactions: 1 user