Most Common Metastatic Cancer to the Liver ? Lung or Colon?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sanket Chaudhari

Reaction score
So im little confused about this, although it may be very low yield to know this. Goljan says its Lung cancer thats the most common metastasis to the liver, where as First aid says its colon.

Please tell me what you think, and also give some sources from which you got the information. I want to believe Goljan, im not a fan of first aid.

Members don't see this ad.

do you happen to know the stat for lung too?

Not really since lung cancers (depending on the type) can metastasize to a number of organs. I believe for non-small cancers , brain and adrenal glands are very common.

I’m sure a quick search on pubmed/UpToDate can give you the stats.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
Use uptodate; roughly 50% of CRC patients will develop liver metastasis

Yes, the most common liver metastasis is from a primary CRC: (example study) Incidence and origin of histologically confirmed liver metastases: an explorative case-study of 23,154 patients.

As a side note, I also wanted to point out that this isn't the best way to think about OP's question. Your response best answers the question: "What is the most common site of metastasis for CRC?" Relevant clinical situation would be if monitoring for metastatic disease is considered for CRC, which organ should be monitored for metastases? OP wanted to know the inverse. As in, if I saw multiple lesions in the liver on CT suspicious for malignancy, where should I look for a primary tumor?

As an example, 50% of patients with melanoma will develop brain metastases, but the most common source of metastatic brain cancer is lung and breast cancer for men and women respectively.