Most common pain procedures?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pain Applicant

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone would be kind enough to let me know which are the most common procedures performed during fellowship and practice. I remember coming across a list on here but I can't seem to find it. I'm trying to be as prepared as possible before beginning my fellowship.

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
ESI - C,T or L, both TL and TF
FJI/MBB
RFA
SIJI
C/LSB

ESI - C,T or L, both TL and TF
FJI/MBB
RFA
SIJI
C/LSB

if he/she is a resident and doesnt know what the procedures are, he/she may not know the abreviations...

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
if he is a resident and doesnt know what the procedures are, he may not know the abreviations...

if he/she doesnt know the abbreviations maybe he/she shouldnt be "beginning" a fellowship.

careful about the abbreviations for the neophyte though: TL ESI? you go through the bone? how about IL

Greatly appreciated! Thanks a lot.

I'm guessing that:

ESI - C,T or L, both TL and TF -epidural steroid injection,
translaminar/transforaminal
FJI/MBB - Facet joint injection/medial branch block
RFA - radiofrequency ablation
SIJI - sacraliliac joint injection
C/LSB - cervical/lumbar sympathetic block

I know that spinal cord stim and pump implants, peripheral nerve blocks, and celiac plexus blocks are a few more relatively common ones. Are there others that most fellows will come across? Do you guys recommend any specific books or articles that should definitely be read before beginning?

Thanks in advance again.

Greatly appreciated! Thanks a lot.

I'm guessing that:

ESI - C,T or L, both TL and TF -epidural steroid injection,
translaminar/transforaminal
FJI/MBB - Facet joint injection/medial branch block
RFA - radiofrequency ablation
SIJI - sacraliliac joint injection
C/LSB - cervical/lumbar sympathetic block

I know that spinal cord stim and pump implants, peripheral nerve blocks, and celiac plexus blocks are a few more relatively common ones. Are there others that most fellows will come across? Do you guys recommend any specific books or articles that should definitely be read before beginning?

Thanks in advance again.

there are a lot of good books, Waldman's anything is not on that list. Good concise book is Rajs fluoroscopic guided intervnetions. there is also a nice purple review book (the second edition was purple, but it is probably a third edition now) by Raj and benzon.

A book that is good for early early beginners is that Rathmell fluoroguided book. It spells a lot of things out, without a terrible amount of bias. This is mainly for procedures. But the best way to learn procedures is to do them with people who know how.

A good review/general overall info primer book for newbies could be the "Just the facts" series (i think thats what it is) by Staats i believe. This isnt very detailed and meant as a review, but sometimes a review is a good place to start...