Most competitive IM programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gnin

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not entirely sure what others would say, but from what I gather the list would most definitely include Mass General, the Brigham, Hopkins, Wash U, Duke, UCSF, Stanford, and a few others I'm forgetting about at the moment.

MGH, Brigham, Duke, UCSF, Hopkins (?);

Why are they so hard? Reputation, and the fact that they're not in the middle of nowhere, unlike WashU and Mayo for example.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would argue that living in Baltimore (esp near JHU) might be worse than "the middle of nowhere."

i agree, i think california programs tend to be more competitive because of location. most people would like to do residency in a place where they can at least get some sun on their few days off.

my top ten most competitive

1) brigham (despite the freezing cold, b&w is probably the most desired im residency in the country, known to be a kinder/gentler im program)
2) mass general (reputation for being more malignant than b&w, but still an awesome program - they get a case in the nejm every month)
3) ucsf (top categorical program on the west coast)
4) stanford (reputation for being a kinder program, makes this a top choice among applicants)
5) johns hopkins (old school rep outweighs the slums of baltimore)
6) u penn (great program in the slums of philly)
7) duke (rep for malignancy)
8) ucla (best program in so cal, did have problems filling a few years ago, likely because of its own arrogance)
9) columbia (best program in the nyc)
10) u wash (seattle is nice, but slightly less competitive to get in because of the enormous primary care program)
11) wash u (would be better if not for st.louis)

Duke's reputation for malignancy is greatly exaggerated. Maybe ten or fifteen years ago, but not now.

Just for fun - my top 10 too (for most competitive, not for where I'd want to be).....

1. MGH
2. B&W
3. UCSF
4. Hopkins
5. Duke
6. Mayo Rochester - if there's any argument against location being key, this is it.....but research-niks will still kill for it
7. Stanford
8. UPenn
9. UCLA
10. Mt. Sinai

Obviously this is totally subjective! Programs like UW, UMich, etc. are probably just as good, but maybe not quite as competitive as the Boston and Cali programs. And as has been said many times before, go where you'll be happy! Unless you want a super-competitive fellowship and/or want to be in academics, you just need to find a program where your clinical training will be good (and there are lots of diamonds in the rough out there, even - gasp - community programs!) and more importantly, where you fit in.

Tar Heel Born said:
Duke's reputation for malignancy is greatly exaggerated. Maybe ten or fifteen years ago, but not now.

Ditto! I get really annoyed when I hear people propagating what ultimately amounts to unsubstantiated and speculative gossip about Duke. It is NOT a malignant program! A lot has changed in Durham over the past 5-10 years, and the same goes for the medicine program at Duke. To put it simply: new amazing program director + new amazing chair + 80 hour rule + some of the smartest people you'll ever meet = awesome yet non-malignant residency program!!! I recently did my sub-I at Duke, and I can definitely vouch for what an outstanding program it really is. The atmosphere is very academic, yet non-competitive and non-adverserial. In fact, the people are (gasp) actually quite congenial.

Sorry...that ends my rant for the day