Most competitive podiatric medicine school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Austinftw

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Gathering info for next application cycle.
Also which schools have the biggest seat number?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Competitive schools are the schools that auto-screen:

Arizona and Temple have screens set at 2.7+ & there's also an MCAT screen (I think Scholl, DMU have screens too).

Big class sizes are those with the 3 digits for the amount of students they take in:

Kent, NYCPM, and Temple
---------
My $0.02:

Everyone's experience may vary. But I believe Barry for a few years now have done quite well in the match. Probably a few points better than some of the "selective" schools. Barry had an 100% match for this year, I think.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Which schools give the largest scholarships? And if it is possible, what schools give full-rides and what are the average stats needed for a full ride?

Which schools give the largest scholarships? And if it is possible, what schools give full-rides and what are the average stats needed for a full ride?

Lol. Full ride days are over. Most scholarship $ based on merit (I believe) is up to 25%. I believe my school has two tiers of scholarship offers- 5k and 10k per year.
A full ride would require outside scholarships, but most of those are 5k max, so you'd have to get a bunch of them. Stats wise, basically be at or almost DO level competetive (old mcat 27+, >3.5 gpa)

Lol. Full ride days are over. Most scholarship $ based on merit (I believe) is up to 25%. I believe my school has two tiers of scholarship offers- 5k and 10k per year.
A full ride would require outside scholarships, but most of those are 5k max, so you'd have to get a bunch of them. Stats wise, basically be at or almost DO level competetive (old mcat 27+, >3.5 gpa)

Ah ok cool, thanks

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hardest school to get into is prolly a tie btw AZPOD and DMU

after that is prolly temple or scholls, then western.

After that, all the standalone schools are pretty easy: Kent, NY, Barry.

I think I'm missing one more school.

Reactions: 1 user
Hardest school to get into is prolly a tie btw AZPOD and DMU

after that is prolly temple or scholls, then western.

After that, all the standalone schools are pretty easy: Kent, NY, Barry.

I think I'm missing one more school.

You're missing Samuel Merritt who I think are a hybrid of everything

You're missing Samuel Merritt who I think are a hybrid of everything

That's right, California.

I would be very weary of attending a school that did not have integration with MDs or DOs. Something tells me that the rigor of those schools help to prep for boards.

I also would be weary of attending a school with more than 100+ people.

I would be very weary of attending a school that did not have integration with MDs or DOs. Something tells me that the rigor of those schools help to prep for boards.

Lol but the MD & DO boards are different from pod though. And schools like NY were founded solely with the purpose of being a podiatry school. I don't think they even have an undergrad. Everyone else does. That's unique in my opinion. It reinforces that podiatry is its own separate "thing".

I'm a fan of small class sizes and institutions myself. I get intimidated in larger crowds and student bodies. I would rather attend a community college in Nebraska than Harvard. But it's all preference.

Sometimes I wonder if podiatry should have been a bachelor's degree like in Australia then you can climb up and specialize to get a doctorate if you want. Schools can mix the curriculum with med tech, nursing, bio, then have students go out during the last year for an internship or whatever.... :naughty:

Lol but the MD & DO boards are different from pod though. And schools like NY were founded solely with the purpose of being a podiatry school. I don't think they even have an undergrad. Everyone else does. That's unique in my opinion. It reinforces that podiatry is its own separate "thing".

I'm a fan of small class sizes and institutions myself. I get intimidated in larger crowds and student bodies. I would rather attend a community college in Nebraska than Harvard. But it's all preference.

Sometimes I wonder if podiatry should have been a bachelor's degree like in Australia then you can climb up and specialize to get a doctorate if you want. Schools can mix the curriculum with med tech, nursing, bio, then have students go out during the last year for an internship or whatever.... :naughty:
I agree with you. The smaller class size was way better and I had a lot more pod experiences in the 1st and 2nd years than those that went to DO integrated schools.

I thought my AZPOD interview was easier than my CSPM interview.

From what I've gleamed from the residents thread- you'd be surprised how much of a crapshoot boards and ABFAS cert are.

A student who prepares all they can will do well regardless of the focus on boards. It could also be the opposite case: while those integrated with DO curriculum are very knowledgeable in general medicine, their instruction may be less focused on podiatry specific board prep during lectures.

Members don't see this ad :)

Dont worry too much about integration with MD's or DO's. Samuel merrit apparently (according to their dean had a 100% passrate). I still wouldnt attend that school if you paid me to go there.

Dont worry too much about integration with MD's or DO's. Samuel merrit apparently (according to their dean had a 100% passrate). I still wouldnt attend that school if you paid me to go there.
Delete

Last edited:
Looking at board pass rate trends, there really is no correlation between integration with MDs/DOs and APMLE pass rates.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using SDN mobile

1. If you apply early, have decent stats, and ability to take out $250k in loans, who'll get in to any school.
2. Study hard and you'll pass boards first time regardless where you go.

No need to over think pod admissions status, especially if the rumors are true that application numbers are down compared to last year.

In my opinion, I think the integration with MD's and DO's is overrated and don't understand the fixation with it.

also western university is integrated with a DO school and has a horrible pass rate. Down at midwestern the student ambassador made me feel like he was over worked beyond he could handle.

Everyone I spoke with at Kent state seemed like they were able to do well in school and balance life with it. Which is idealistic (for me)

also western university is integrated with a DO school and has a horrible pass rate. Down at midwestern the student ambassador made me feel like he was over worked beyond he could handle.

Everyone I spoke with at Kent state seemed like they were able to do well in school and balance life with it. Which is idealistic (for me)

Kent also had a 86% board pass rate while Midwestern has a 98%. I'll take the latter, even if it means being miserable.

Delete

Last edited:
If we are going make an accurate comparison in regards to board pass rates we need to compare apples to apples and not apples to oranges.

Ex: MW had 30 students * 98% pass rate = (29.4) so 29 students * 3=87 students if we triple!!!

Lets say Kent had 100 students go to boards * 86% pass rate= 86 students/ so 86 to 29 students. Kent's pass rate is more impressive to me! If we take Kent's top 30 students, Kent has a 100% pass rate to MW 98% in an apple to apple comparison!!!
a-beautiful-mind-001.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
If we are going make an accurate comparison in regards to board pass rates we need to compare apples to apples and not apples to oranges.

Ex: MW had 30 students * 98% pass rate = (29.4) so 29 students * 3=87 students if we triple!!!

Lets say Kent had 100 students go to boards * 86% pass rate= 86 students/ so 86 to 29 students. Kent's pass rate is more impressive to me! If we take Kent's top 30 students, Kent has a 100% pass rate to MW 98% in an apple to apple comparison!!!

Go to the school which is the best fit for you and study your tail off, learn, pass boards, and match! Best of luck to all of my future colleagues at ALL of the schools!!!

P.S. It's your residency training that is going to make or break your career according to the Podiatrist that I shadowed!!!! Arguing or Debating about which school is the best is juvenile in my opinion!!!
I'd like to know your thoughts about your p and f values and if they are of significance?!?!?

Reactions: 5 users
I'd like to know your thoughts about your p and f values and if they are of significance?!?!?
Please disregard that post under my username!!!! A buddy of mine was logging into my account & made a couple of posts on this thread!!! I changed my pw so everything should be good now!!!

Last edited:
Kent also had a 86% board pass rate while Midwestern has a 98%. I'll take the latter, even if it means being miserable.

not to rag on kent state or anything, i really liked their school, but they have in very recent years much lower 1st time board pass rates than most of the other schools. On their website they post an average over several years and its at 83% and I know in some years it was in the 70's. When i interviewed with them, I asked them about those low numbers, and they could not give me anything as to how they were mediating the problem. DMU and Midwestern have had consistently high first time board pass rates. In a world where passing the first time is important to getting the best residency possible or even the residency you desire, I think that is very important. Now I know there is a difference between correlation and causation, but I believe that integration with other programs may help.

As for Western University, they are a very new program but if you look on their website they will give you the pass rates of their previous classes. Class of 2016 - 82.5% Class of 2017 - 83.3 Class of 2018 - 97%. Previously they were pretty bad, but every year they seem to be getting better (and 97% is pretty dang good), which I think is a very important thing to note.
http://www.westernu.edu/bin/podiatry/dashboard2016.pdf

I am not saying you wont succeed at any of the other schools or that you wont pass boards the first time or anything like that. I don't think it really matters where you go and as long as you have the work ethic and determination, you can pass boards the first time, get into an amazing residency, and get a great job. That's on you to work hard and study. You can succeed wherever you go, and will probably find it easier to succeed in an environment or location where you feel most comfortable be it in the desert in Arizona, or New York or wherever you choose. I'm just saying there looks like to me that there is a correlation between first time board pass rates and the schools that are integrated with another program. It could just simply be that these schools tend to have smaller class sizes and can afford to be more selective with the students that they accept. Who knows.

No matter where you'll go you will be at a top 10 podiatry school my DPM would say.

Reactions: 10 users
To politely correct you, WesternU's pass rate for the C/O2018 was 97% (https://www.westernu.edu/bin/podiatry/dashboard2016.pdf)

I'd also like to echo the sentiments "feetsreets" expressed about being self driven and self motivated irrespective of location.

Didnt see this years pass rate thanks for pointing it out.
Like you and everyone said if youre self driven you will do fine. Almost all schools seem to provide a decent enough passrate indicating youre atleast provided with the materials to do well if you put in some personal effort.

Their avg pod GPA is almost a 3.6? Dang. I didnt know it was that high

Si senor!

Thats higher than quite a few of the DO school GPA's I've seen while being nosey and looking up random data. lol

Si senor!

Thats higher than quite a few of the DO school GPA's I've seen while being nosey and looking up random data. lol

There MCAT is also on par with the lower tiered DO programs at 25. I was very surprised I was given an interview there.

Benefits of having a small class size is that the school can be picky. Good for them though. It just means that I have to kill the MCAT so I can go there.

I just looked up there on campus housing....it's cheap as hell!!!
Western wants $1300 for a studio and AZPOD studio is $700.
Im down.

Makes sense.
Have to remember Cali housing market is insane. Same with North East like NY, MA. Much better down south.

Yeah thats crazy haha i need to kill this MCAT then.. midwestern is my top school.. its 15 minutes from where I grew up haha

I was looking at 800$ 2 BR townhouse in Ohio... That is cheap lol.

I am in on-campus housing (studio apt) for 710. Can't go wrong with that kind of price.

i'm having difficulties choosing where to live at kent. need to figure out soon..

i'm having difficulties choosing where to live at kent. need to figure out soon..

they give you a whole packet with places to live. put all the names in a hat and pick at random. you're welcome.

A lot of people from the upcomming class are staying at the Regency. Though where I am from (a 15 minute drive) is considered a long time to get to school. And a few people are getting private houses in groups near the campus. Up to you. like the other person mentioned tons of other choices too.