Most Diverse School You have been to...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Scooby Doo

IEatShavedPussyCats
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
While we are on the topic of AA, what have you guys seen about the schools you have been to?

You can talk about interviewees or just the makeup of the students who you were able to see.

Here's your chance to vent simpleton...

At Mount Sinai I saw a LOT of diversity in the students who I met.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, and at which schools are women the majority. I'd be very interested in this. I think UF has a greater number of female med students than male med students.

I guess that I would have to say that I've been disappointed at the diversity at most of the medical schools to which i've been...I would agree with Scooby in that Sinai had a lot of diversity...as did Yale.

I would suspect, however, that much of our perception of diversity has to do with the group that toured us (which has typically almost a 1:1 ratio of students to interviewees), which obviously is self-selecting and is not necessarily representative of the entire class or school.

Members don't see this ad :)
UCSF seemed pretty diverse, both students and faculty.

UCSF has more women than men, i think it was like 55/45 or even 60/40 in their most recent class.

Just from walking around and seeing the class on the interview day UCLA appeared very diverse ethnically, especially with a greater hispanic med student proportion than any other place i'd been. When I went to Duke they claimed to be the most diverse by the statistics and the class I sat in on did seem quite diverse ethnically.

I have to say the worst/least diverse class I saw was, not too surprisingly, in Nashville at Vanderbilt. VERY white, though not nearly as white as the city itself.

I thought the students and interviewees at Michigan were the most diverse I've seen of all of the schools I have interviewed at.

I second the UCSF vote. It is definitely more diverse than UCLA or Michigan, and more diverse than anywhere else I've been.

Later,

Adam

Pitt has had more women than men for several years now.

how are you defining 'diversity', scooby? it can mean many things.

I was taking it to mean a mix of students other than white or asian.

Throw in Gender if you like :)

I just figured it might be a good thread to go along with the little heated debate in the AA thread...

I agree that Michigan appeared to be the most diverse.

Most diverse: Baylor, UPenn

Least diverse: Dartmouth, Yale

mma

The only reason why UCLA seems to have a diverse student population is because students accepted to Charles Drew School of Med do thier first two years at UCLA. Their diploma though will say: Charles Drew School of Medicine, I think they may write UCLA program somewhere in there in small letters. My friend got accepted to UCLA and he tells me that the actual UCLA studentbody (not drew students)consists mostly of White, followed by Asian, and Middle Eastern/Indian students--very little URMs.