Most EC's completed in the school year before application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1040417

Is it a major red flag that most of my EC's will be coming in the next school year? The only thing I've done is some very minimal community service, TA a class, and shadow twice. I started off bumpy and became too worried about my grades to dedicate time to experiences which was kind of dumb on my part to not commit to at least one gig over time.

I was planning to start over the summer, but that crashed.

Also, any advice to survive such a school year? I'd be spending ~30 hours/weekly for EC's with classes.

Members don't see this ad.

Is it a major red flag that most of my EC's will be coming in the next school year? The only thing I've done is some very minimal community service, TA a class, and shadow twice. I started off bumpy and became too worried about my grades to dedicate time to experiences which was kind of dumb on my part to not commit to at least one gig over time.

I was planning to start over the summer, but that crashed.

Also, any advice to survive such a school year? I'd be spending ~30 hours/weekly for EC's with classes.
It is what it is. Not a major red flag, but you should realize you'll be competing with a ton of people who have been deeply involved in ECs since HS and first semester freshman year. There's a reason around 2/3 of matriculants take at least one gap year nowadays. Sounds like you might be a good candidate, either voluntarily or involuntarily.

Reactions: 1 user
It is what it is. Not a major red flag, but you should realize you'll be competing with a ton of people who have been deeply involved in ECs since HS and first semester freshman year. There's a reason around 2/3 of matriculants take at least one gap year nowadays. Sounds like you might be a good candidate, either voluntarily or involuntarily.

Thank you for the reminder. I may apply mainly DO and take advantage of the next summer, considering September applicants are not considered late. Otherwise yes, not just one gap year but a second gap year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the reminder. I may apply mainly DO and take advantage of the next summer, considering September applicants are not considered late. Otherwise yes, not just one gap year but a second gap year.
A lot of us are in the exact same boat. I didn't get as late a start as you, but I've been shut down since March, and have no idea when things will go back to anything close to normal. The good news is a lot of time to study for the MCAT. The bad news is maybe having to push a cycle back.

You have to realize that every single school, committee, reader may have a differing opinion on just about every aspect of an application. You must not worry about these kind of things. Whether the answer is yes or no what does that change? Like seriously? You can’t change, the past just focus on the doing the best you can moving forward.