Most effective way to watch Recorded Lectures after attending class?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Alakazam123

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been noticing that my studying is super inefficient when it comes to rewatching lectures. For starters, I suppose my attention span isn't the greatest. However, I notice that when I sit down to watch a lecture over again, I never know when I'm missing an important piece of information, and when I'm not. So I rewatch segments, and that ends up adding on time.

So, a 1 hr recording takes me 3 hrs to complete, and I don't have time for other stuff...It's getting frustrating, and I know that in medical school, this sort of thing won't fly...any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

1 hour lecture taking 3 hours to watch thoroughly sounds reasonable to me.

Also class dependent. I'd almost say 4-6 hours is needed per hour of anatomy to actually get all the material down.

Some "easier" courses may take 2 hours to watch per hour.

Also be able to organize what you're watching in some way. Some people use Ankie, word, flashcards, whatever.

1 hour lecture taking 3 hours to watch thoroughly sounds reasonable to me.

Also class dependent. I'd almost say 4-6 hours is needed per hour of anatomy to actually get all the material down.

Some "easier" courses may take 2 hours to watch per hour.

Also be able to organize what you're watching in some way. Some people use Ankie, word, flashcards, whatever.

But in medical school don't you have to take 8 classes/semester or something? Will this rate of study help me get by and do research, etc.?

Members don't see this ad :)
But in medical school don't you have to take 8 classes/semester or something? Will this rate of study help me get by and do research, etc.?

From my experience you take 25-32 credit hours per semester during your pre-clinical years. Most people skip non-mandatory classes and then spend several hours on their off time going over the online lectures. It really depends on the class. 1 hour of anatomy lecture is an immense amount of information. 1 hour of something like biochemistry should be fairly straightforward.

Again, its person dependent and class dependent.

People are more worried about grades than starting research first semester. I don't think the faculty really pushes anyone into research first semester.

No, this rate of study will help you get by and absorb the material.

Med school is more like an MS every semester.

Must be a weak MS. Maybe an MA in an easier biology topic.

@Goro , seems to state my study strategy is somewhat inadequate for my goals. However, I do hear differently from you. So I was just wondering what needs to change if anything?

Do what Goro says, although I don't think what he said was necessary contradictory to what I said. When you get to medical school, you'll get a feel for how long it takes you to understand the material, and then you can adapt to your learning situation. Best of luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I've been noticing that my studying is super inefficient when it comes to rewatching lectures. For starters, I suppose my attention span isn't the greatest. However, I notice that when I sit down to watch a lecture over again, I never know when I'm missing an important piece of information, and when I'm not. So I rewatch segments, and that ends up adding on time.

So, a 1 hr recording takes me 3 hrs to complete, and I don't have time for other stuff...It's getting frustrating, and I know that in medical school, this sort of thing won't fly...any advice?
Go to lecture?

3 hours to watch 1 hr of lecture? No that won't fly. I watch an hour lecture in 30 minutes. It seems you are being extremely inefficient with your time.

3 hours to watch 1 hr of lecture? No that won't fly. I watch an hour lecture in 30 minutes. It seems you are being extremely inefficient with your time.

So you learn an hours worth of anatomy lecture in 30 minutes?

Would you mind telling me how you are that efficient? It'd help me a lot, and allow me much more free time during the day.

So you learn an hours worth of anatomy lecture in 30 minutes?

Yes.

Would you mind telling me how you are that efficient? It'd help me a lot, and allow me much more free time during the day.

Because I don't just watch the lecture once. It is far more effective to go through the material 3+ times than it is to do one slow pass.

Yes.

Because I don't just watch the lecture once. It is far more effective to go through the material 3+ times than it is to do one slow pass.

Why not do 1 slow pass recently after recording, and then 1 faster pass before the exam?

That way you learn the material in depth, write down/organize any material, and then study from that. Then right before the exam, do one quick pass through to solidify and ensure you are ready to go.

I feel like it would be difficult to adequately organize the lecture material by speeding through multiple times. I'm sure it works for you, but I'd get frustrated just speeding through all the videos. I would do that for boards of course though.

Why not do 1 slow pass recently after recording, and then 1 faster pass before the exam?

Because then I only get 2 passes. My routine is more like: one fast pass to get an idea of what is going on, do all anki cards related to topic, do all anki reviews leading up to exam, watch all lectures at 2x speed the weekend before the test to pick up little details, and do all anki cards on topic again regardless of what reviews are scheduled, wreck the exam, keep doing all reviews that are scheduled until boards.

To be fair, I just realized we are in pre-allo so that routine will not work in undergrad lol. In undergrad I watched the lecture one time fast to get a gist of the material, and then one slow pass writing everything out in my words in note form, and then reading those notes over and over until the test.

Because then I only get 2 passes. My routine is more like: one fast pass to get an idea of what is going on, do all anki cards related to topic, do all anki reviews leading up to exam, watch all lectures at 2x speed the weekend before the test to pick up little details, and do all anki cards on topic again regardless of what reviews are scheduled, wreck the exam, keep doing all reviews that are scheduled until boards.

To be fair, I just realized we are in pre-allo so that routine will not work in undergrad lol. In undergrad I watched the lecture one time fast to get a gist of the material, and then one slow pass writing everything out in my words in note form, and then reading those notes over and over until the test.

Sounds reasonable. For boards, did you save your ankie cards and go over those before the board exams? I expect to mostly just do videos on the topic at 2x speed regarding those topics and write down anything I didn't previous understand on previous exams. Probably will just watch free videos for First Aid Step 1 material wherever I find them lol.

Sounds reasonable. For boards, did you save your ankie cards and go over those before the board exams? I expect to mostly just do videos on the topic at 2x speed regarding those topics and write down anything I didn't previous understand on previous exams. Probably will just watch free videos for First Aid Step 1 material wherever I find them lol.

I don't take them until the spring, and I don't make my own cards. I do the Zanki deck. No matter what you do, you have to at least plan to use UFAP as board prep. It's a must.

Reactions: 1 users