Most Expensive Med Schools-All things Considered

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TallLuka

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I've recently been accepted to University of Illinois and am an out of state resident, which means I'll be paying a fairly high tuition. I tried searching the forum, and google, to find the most expensive schools to attend for out of staters, but found nothing. Of the information I found, US News, it shows University of Illinois costing more than say Georgetown or George Washington, which have histories of being fairly expensive.

I know the US News does not take into consideration location of the school and other living expenses, i.e. D.C. apartments cost more than Illinois apartments, so the amount an individual actually ends up paying (total debt) is very different than the US News makes it appear.

So maybe we can make a list of the most expensive schools to attend (considering your an out of stater and including all extras like housing, food, and entertainment).

Members don't see this ad.

I've heard Tufts is the most expensive private school, and I believe University of Colorado charges something like $70k for people from out of state. I haven't done any fact checking on this, though.

Hey,

I've recently been accepted to University of Illinois and am an out of state resident, which means I'll be paying a fairly high tuition. I tried searching the forum, and google, to find the most expensive schools to attend for out of staters, but found nothing. Of the information I found, US News, it shows University of Illinois costing more than say Georgetown or George Washington, which have histories of being fairly expensive.

I know the US News does not take into consideration location of the school and other living expenses, i.e. D.C. apartments cost more than Illinois apartments, so the amount an individual actually ends up paying (total debt) is very different than the US News makes it appear.

So maybe we can make a list of the most expensive schools to attend (considering your an out of stater and including all extras like housing, food, and entertainment).

According to the latest MSAR, the most expensive school to attend (counting living expenses and everything else) is the University of South Carolina. The tuition is ~60k and adding living expenses on top of that brings you up to ~88k a year. Funny enough, the second most expensive school is also in SC, with the average student at MUSC paying only a couple hundred dollars a year less.

The least expensive school (other than USUHS which is free), is San Juan Bautista university in PR with tuition and living expenses only being 35k.

The least expensive school in the continental US seems to be U of Maryland, with the average student spending 44k on living expenses+tuition.

Members don't see this ad :)
The least expensive school in the continental US seems to be U of Maryland, with the average student spending 44k on living expenses+tuition.

nope.

Colorado is $50k a year for OOS. I don't know exactly how much you need to take out for cost of living, but Colorado isn't cheap. Its not as bad as California or New York, but a heck of alot more expensive than the midwest.

Colorado is $50k a year for OOS. I don't know exactly how much you need to take out for cost of living, but Colorado isn't cheap. Its not as bad as California or New York, but a heck of alot more expensive than the midwest.

Colorado used to list their OOS tuition at 70k, and that is why they have the rep for being the most expensive. But: after one year you were considered IS, and you paid the 17k or whatever that residents pay. But this doesn't exist anymore, so they dropped it to ~50k for all four years, which ends up being even more expensive.

Thats what my MSAR spreadsheet says (looking at costs for OOS students).

For in-staters, the lowest cost of attendance STILL seems to be U of Maryland, with the average person spending 25k between tuition and living expenses. Followed closely by U of Connecticut with 27k, and East Carolina with 28k.

Edit: For Colorado, the IS tuition is ~25k, the OOS tuition is ~48k, the IS tuition+living expenses is ~44k and the OOS tuition and living expenses is ~67k.

For in-staters, the lowest cost of attendance STILL seems to be U of Maryland, with the average person spending 25k between tuition and living expenses. Followed closely by U of Connecticut with 27k, and East Carolina with 28k.

Edit: For Colorado, the IS tuition is ~25k, the OOS tuition is ~48k, the IS tuition+living expenses is ~44k and the OOS tuition and living expenses is ~67k.

I always thought that Baylor for TX residents was the cheapest.

Its tough to say what is the "cheapest". Mayo clinic should be up there since it is rare that a student pays full tuition. Nearly everybody gets some kind of help. If you want to get technical, UCF will be the cheapest next year. (Tuition free for all 4 years for the first class)

FSU is pretty reasonable considering it isn't horribly expensive to live in tallahassee. Baylor is cheap. There are a bunch of places. If you are paying 35 or less after living expenses then you are doing pretty well for yourself. 35-50 is probably about average, and anything over 50 is getting in the big bucks range. MSU osteopathic for OOS is like 60k or something...

i heard your mom's pretty expensive.
oh, burn!

Its one of the cheapest if we're just looking at tuition. But living expenses change it up. The cheapest in-state tuition period would be East Carolina in NC, with 9066 as tuition. Baylor is maybe 15th with 12782 as tuition. In fact, texas A&M, UT houston, texas tech el paso, texas tech lubbock, UTMB, UT San Antonio, and UT southwestern are all cheaper than Baylor. Damn texas residents, all of your schools seem to have tuition under 15k.

Aye, Baylor is the cheapest by a few hundred dollars compared to other Texas schools.

Aye, Baylor is the cheapest by a few hundred dollars compared to other Texas schools.

Straight from the MSAR:

School name IS total cost IS Tuition
Baylor 33704 12782
UT Southwestern 33981 12594
UT San Antonio - 12443
UTMB 35950 12230
Texas Tech Lubbock 32898 11816
Texas Tech El Paso 32700 11700
UT Houston 34634 10769
Texas A&M - 10682

Edit: the ones with only one number just list a tuition and not the total cost.

Members don't see this ad :)
Straight from the MSAR:

School name IS total cost IS Tuition
Baylor 33704 12782
UT Southwestern 33981 12594
UT San Antonio - 12443
UTMB 35950 12230
Texas Tech Lubbock 32898 11816
Texas Tech El Paso 32700 11700
UT Houston 34634 10769
Texas A&M - 10682

Edit: the ones with only one number just list a tuition and not the total cost.

The difference is small enough that we shouldn't be arguing anyway.

I'm sure I'll get shot at for this. In my opinion, one of THE most expensive schools is the University of Southern California. It's perhaps not the highest in tuition, but it's pretty darn high - and your chances of getting some sort of grant/scholarship might be higher at some of the "name" Eastern schools.

When I looked at the student budget for USC, I just about dropped my teeth - it was something like $65K/year in 2005. And that was with a ridiculous living allowance. Things were horrible even then, but the collapsing real estate market in Southern California is creating a lot of new renters (foreclosures), and rents are skyrocketing. To stay within the USC living budget, you'd have to have double bunk-beds in every bedroom and 4-6 roommates, which is not my idea of a good time.

I think one of the best "values" is my own University of Oklahoma COM. The tuition isn't as cheap as Texas - it's up to about $19K/year - but Oklahoma City and Tulsa have some of the lowest costs of living anywhere in the country - and they're not bad cities at all. For my pre-clinical years, I've been living in a nice 3 bedroom, 2 bath house in a modest but safe neighborhood - I needed a house and a yard for my German Shepherd - and I've stayed comfortably within my living budget, which OU bases on national averages. OOS tuition is a bit of a burden, though - it's right at twice in-state (and you have to demonstrate some kind of tie to the state to be accepted).

The difference is small enough that we shouldn't be arguing anyway.

Yeah, but 2 posts above this one you were "arguing" that Baylor was cheaper by a few hundred dollars than all other Texas schools, when it appears that it is more expensive than all of them...how about some props to Raryn for getting the facts straight?

Yeah, but 2 posts above this one you were "arguing" that Baylor was cheaper by a few hundred dollars than all other Texas schools, when it appears that it is more expensive than all of them...how about some props to Raryn for getting the facts straight?

*gives props*

I sold my 08-09 MSAR a while back so it's been a while since I looked at those figures. However, since you can't often pick your state of residency when you're an undergrad, I do know for a fact that Baylor is the cheapest private school in the US (and unless your a TX resident, that's why you care so much)

At Maryland, cost of living itself is estimated at ~$21,000. Add to that the tuition (IS $20,000, OOS $41,000) and you're getting more expensive. Then you have nearly $10,000 in "hidden fees."

So it is looking like USC, Tufts and Colorado are the top three for the most expensive schools to attend if you are out of state. How about Drexel and Boston University? Philadelphia can be cheap, depending on where you live (I'm from outside Philly), but from what I've heard Boston is fairly pricey, along the line of D.C..

Its tough to say what is the "cheapest". Mayo clinic should be up there since it is rare that a student pays full tuition. Nearly everybody gets some kind of help.

Yup, Mayo tuition costs $29,000, but ALL students get a $15,000 scholarship plus some other smaller ones (I believe they call them "happy patient scholarships" - donated by Mayo Clinic patients), so generally the most anyone pays for tuition is around $10,000 a year. There are also quite a few students (out of a class of 42) that get a $25,000 scholarship. And the cost of living in Rochester MN is pretty cheap. Ah, Mayo. :love:

UNC: 39K for IS total COA which is lower than Maryland I believe.
UConn however...is 27K for tuition and fees only. 49K with cost of living.

Boston Univ, GW, Tufts, and GT are probably ridiculous. I think MUSC has the highest OOS tuition something over 60K

GW tuition is about $45,000. Isn't Tufts more like $52,000?
probably...but Cost of living might be higher in DC then in boston im not sure. I was just throwing out the most expensive that I know of.

Hey,

which campus? cost of living in Chicago is pretty high (and OOS tuition for U of I is ridiculous - i feel for you), but in peoria, rockford, and champaign you will be paying pennies for comfortable living arrangements.

wayne state is also ridiculously expensive OOS like 56K i think

probably...but Cost of living might be higher in DC then in boston im not sure. I was just throwing out the most expensive that I know of.

GW indicates their cost of attendance for first year is about $67,000, which oddly, is only about $10,000 more than Loyola (which is $7,000 cheaper in tuition, and much cheaper for cost of living). I think that's only becase GW way underestimates the cost of living in DC ($1,100/month for rent + utilities). Since it's now very hard to get loans for amounts over the cost of attendance, it's really irking me (and a lot of other GW students as well, I'm sure).

GW indicates their cost of attendance for first year is about $67,000, which oddly, is only about $10,000 more than Loyola (which is $7,000 cheaper in tuition, and much cheaper for cost of living). I think that's only becase GW way underestimates the cost of living in DC ($1,100/month for rent + utilities). Since it's now very hard to get loans for amounts over the cost of attendance, it's really irking me (and a lot of other GW students as well, I'm sure).

Yeah...the loans at GW are only really enough if you share an apartment, and even then it's tight. GW's financial aid is pretty basic. And it seems like a lot things are more expensive in DC too, like restaurants, etc. Airfare costs a lot too, I guess because of all of the business and government travelers.

Anyways, good luck with your decision Phoenix!

these tuition costs are absolutely ridiculous. Either you ahve to be rich or drown in debt for a very very long time.

how expensive are the UC's for CA residents?

COA at Northwestern - Feinberg is about 68-69K, with 41K being the yearly tuition. That's what you get for being in the streeterville area in Chicago.

so are you guys just getting huge loans to pay for everything including rent for housing and food? cause i doubt anyone has time for a job in med school

According to the latest MSAR, the most expensive school to attend (counting living expenses and everything else) is the University of South Carolina. The tuition is ~60k and adding living expenses on top of that brings you up to ~88k a year. Funny enough, the second most expensive school is also in SC, with the average student at MUSC paying only a couple hundred dollars a year less...

MUSC is $25,600 a year for instate. I don't think living expenses in SC would be roughly $60,000 a year.

which campus? cost of living in Chicago is pretty high (and OOS tuition for U of I is ridiculous - i feel for you), but in peoria, rockford, and champaign you will be paying pennies for comfortable living arrangements.

I'll be at Urbana, and then go to Rockford. I started this thread because I was amazed at how expensive University of Illinois is for out of staters (it's going to cost me around 76,000 dollars!).

Great school though, so I'm going with it.

Hey man, to help you out I live in D.C. right now. So GW is located in Foggy Bottom which is extremely expensive, so I don't imagine that most people live near there unless they are sharing a small place with three others. Your options are living in Virginia and then taking the Orange Line (metro) in every day, which is very convenient, or living north of GW in say Adams Morgan, Mt. Pleasant, Columbia Heights, or Cleveland Park area and taking the Red Line south every morning (with this option you would have to change trains at Metro center which adds a little more time to your commute). Any further north and it would be a long commute for you, and any further east your getting into some "bad" parts of town (NW is the best part of town to live in).

Virginia is great because it is relatively close and has cheap housing, also tons of young adults live there. The down side is that you are not in the city. The other places I listed in NW D.C. are in a great part of the city near tons of nightlife, but are more expensive. For example, I lived in Mt. Pleasant (located just east of Adams Morgan, a big night life area) and it was costing me 1,000 a month for a one room efficiency.

I'll put a link below to the map of the metro so you can see the relative locations of all these places. Also, keep in mind that D.C.'s metro is rated as one of the best in the United States, so take advantage of it.

http://www.wmata.com/metrorail/systemmap.cfm

Hey man, to help you out I live in D.C. right now. So GW is located in Foggy Bottom which is extremely expensive, so I don't imagine that most people live near there unless they are sharing a small place with three others. Your options are living in Virginia and then taking the Orange Line (metro) in every day, which is very convenient, or living north of GW in say Adams Morgan, Mt. Pleasant, Columbia Heights, or Cleveland Park area and taking the Red Line south every morning (with this option you would have to change trains at Metro center which adds a little more time to your commute). Any further north and it would be a long commute for you, and any further east your getting into some "bad" parts of town (NW is the best part of town to live in).

Virginia is great because it is relatively close and has cheap housing, also tons of young adults live there. The down side is that you are not in the city. The other places I listed in NW D.C. are in a great part of the city near tons of nightlife, but are more expensive. For example, I lived in Mt. Pleasant (located just east of Adams Morgan, a big night life area) and it was costing me 1,000 a month for a one room efficiency.

I'll put a link below to the map of the metro so you can see the relative locations of all these places. Also, keep in mind that D.C.'s metro is rated as one of the best in the United States, so take advantage of it.

http://www.wmata.com/metrorail/systemmap.cfm

what exactly does that mean? including utilities?
How much would rent be around in virginia for a 1 bedroom?

COA at Northwestern - Feinberg is about 68-69K, with 41K being the yearly tuition. That's what you get for being in the streeterville area in Chicago.
holy crap, I didn't know it was up to that much. Makes me feel better for not going there...

I'll be at Urbana, and then go to Rockford. I started this thread because I was amazed at how expensive University of Illinois is for out of staters (it's going to cost me around 76,000 dollars!).

Great school though, so I'm going with it.

congrats, dude. you'll have a great time in urbana and in rockford... well, you'll get a lot of studying done!

what exactly does that mean? including utilities?
How much would rent be around in virginia for a 1 bedroom?

I know a few people who live over the border in Virginia, and they are paying around $700 a month, not including utilities with 2 other roomates. I'm not sure how much an efficiency goes for over in Virginia, but I can assure you it would be cheaper then in the city.

I was paying $925 not including electricity, but all other utilities included, and I lived right next to a "young" part of the city. I know the further south you go the more you get into $1200 a month on average, not including utitlities.

D.C. is weird in that apartment costs change from block to block since some blocks are conisdered low-income and the next block over would be wealthy upper class apartments (BMW's and Aston Martin's everywhere).

Check craigslist ofen and I'll try my best to answer any general questions. I hope this helps.