Most extensive face transplant ever

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Joe the Plumber

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Interesting read. Imagine how much better this guy's life will be. This is why we do what we do (edit: or are interested in medicine).

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2012/...omprehensive-face-transplant/?intcmp=features

Edit2: here are the pics to save time

660_Face%20Transplant.JPG

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Yeah, can't wait to hit the OR bright and early tomorrow.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interesting read. Imagine how much better this guy's life will be. This is why we do what we do (edit: or are interested in medicine).

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2012/...omprehensive-face-transplant/?intcmp=features

OP, thanks for a quality/heart warming/eye opening/non-neurotic thread. Finally. This is an incredible reminder of why we are here (literally, metaphorically, and on SDN :cool:), and why we are going through hell to become a part of this honorable profession.

Thanks for the share :thumbup:

Are they saying the guy had 36 hours of continuous surgery in one sitting or multiple?

If only more people knew that 10% of people attempting suicide by shooting self in the head survive... And then they are more ****ed up than ever and still have their original problems.

read this as most EXPENSIVE face transplant ever. which....is also probably true.

also...Eduardo Rodriguez?! I bet his mcat score was low and being a URM helped him out tremendously.

ok ok i agree, troll post! hahaha. completely sarcastic here. that man is a stud

I feel like this one was even crazier...

http://www.cnn.com/2011/HEALTH/05/09/face.transplant.boston/index.html

He got his entire face electrocuted and was left with no features at all.

I know one of the surgeons on the team for this one; he said it was insane and that the surgery took around 15 hours without stopping. He is an ENT fellow at Brigham and was super lucky to be able to see such a rare and cutting edge surgery... I was so jealous.

People: WE ARE SO LUCKY TO BE PART OF SUCH AN INTERESTING PROFESSION... :thumb up:

Best,
C

Today I observed a free flap face reconstruction of a patient that shot himself and ended up with a tiny hole for a nose, a small hole for his mouth, and no jaw. A nurse had a link to this story on the computer.

Cases like these have me more excited then ever to start med school this August (hopefully).

yeah exactly.

I just want to make people better looking, not save lives or anything.

That's incredibly melodramatic. The bulk of your work, assuming you don't go into EM, will be making people's crappy lives somewhat less crappy, and making them last a bit longer. Thus, the goal will be improving quality of life. I know it's bonerific to think of peforming CPR/ brain surgery on a hot chick/dude and then after she/he heals up (with no scars or permanent damage, somehow), you end up falling in love and riding off into the sunset on horseback. However, it's more likely you'll be doing something decidedly less glamorous.

So if one goes into EM, what will the bulk of the work be?

Dammit I was was hoping I wouldn't get called out. :) I've only shadowed in the ER, so obviously I don't know the extent of what goes on, not even close, really. But I think an ER doc saves lives in the sense that there's an acute time constraint (assuming it's a legit emergency...and in my limited experience, most ER visits aren't even emergencies). Anyway, you could argue that someone in IM prescribing statins is also saving a life, just less quickly. Same for the general surgeon removing a mass that may be become cancerous in 20 years. But I think you know what I meant. ;)