most forgiving NY state med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cells4life

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey!
So I think in an effort of getting my amcas verified early...I think i'm going to follow what everyone here on sdn says and apply to one school initially and wait until I get my Mcat scores in late july to apply to others. However, I'm in the midst of trying to figure out which this "one" school should be. A lot of people suggested to apply to your state school that accepts lower mcat scores. However, being in NY, there a lot of schools that require mcats in the 30+ range. Does any one have any suggestions what school to choose and any "other forgiving" medical schools?

Members don't see this ad.

Maybe one of the SUNYs. Why are you only applying to one school initially?

Sent from my iPad using SDN Mobile app.

Hey!
So I think in an effort of getting my amcas verified early...I think i'm going to follow what everyone here on sdn says and apply to one school initially and wait until I get my Mcat scores in late july to apply to others. However, I'm in the midst of trying to figure out which this "one" school should be. A lot of people suggested to apply to your state school that accepts lower mcat scores. However, being in NY, there a lot of schools that require mcats in the 30+ range. Does any one have any suggestions what school to choose and any "other forgiving" medical schools?
Going by Lizzy M score (not just MCAT), Perhaps NYMC or Buffalo. I'm not sure where Hofstra falls, though. Anyone have some numbers for them?

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe one of the SUNYs. Why are you only applying to one school initially?

Sent from my iPad using SDN Mobile app.

I don't quite understand what the OP is asking, but I know from personal experience that you can pretty much get into any NY school with a sub 30 school-assuming everything else is good. Basically, I don't think that NY schools will automatically reject your app because you scored a 28.

Now if you have a 28, a 3.4, non-urm, little shadowing, etc. then you probably might want to work on the MCAT, but in and of itself a sub-30 score isn't going to get you an automatic rejection.

SUNY's are awesome and they love NY residents. There are also other schools that look at your application holistically; such as: Rochester, Albany, etc.

Edit: I reread your post, but I don't think that you should apply to the school with the lowest MCAT average. It really depends on the rest of your application and what is the best fit for you. I have had friends with 33 get rejected from SB and I actually got accepted. Therefore, you should a pick a school that you have a great feeling that you can "fit" their mission because the MCAT is only one part of your app. and not a really good indicator as to what your chances are. I hope this helps.

hi everybody,
thanks for the responses! I am aiming to get at least a 30 ( and if that actually happens I have no guarantee unfortunately). So would be advisable to apply to SUNY state school or those schools that just accept a lower ratio of GPA and MCAT initally?

So is it better to have NY residency than NJ residency?

Just realize that if you do this and do poorly, you will be considered a reapplicant next cycle. If anything, id pick the school you are least interested in if you are absolutely committed to applying this cycle. Its always best to know your score before applying.

Hi there,
Please correct me if I'm wrong...aren't you considered a re-applicant only if you reapply to the school you withdrew from or previously applied and went through the whole cycle or are you considered a re-applicant just because you filled out amcas but did not list any other school? thanks!

Hey!

don't apply to just one school. Even if you got a secondary you wouldn't know if you got in until later in the Fall. And your chances just keep going down the later you apply so you may as well apply as early as possible if your application is set. You get more out of that application fee by applying as early as possible. Especially since it sounds like your stats are average, that means you want to do anything possible to increase your chances, applying early is one of those things to do.

Hi there,
Please correct me if I'm wrong...aren't you considered a re-applicant only if you reapply to the school you withdrew from or previously applied and went through the whole cycle or are you considered a re-applicant just because you filled out amcas but did not list any other school? thanks!

You are a re-applicant if you have applied in TWO different application cycles. Whatever you do within an application cycle closing/reopening apps or whatever does not make you a re-applicant.

don't apply to just one school. Even if you got a secondary you wouldn't know if you got in until later in the Fall. And your chances just keep going down the later you apply so you may as well apply as early as possible if your application is set. You get more out of that application fee by applying as early as possible. Especially since it sounds like your stats are average, that means you want to do anything possible to increase your chances, applying early is one of those things to do.
hi there! thanks for the reply
the only obstacle is that I won't have my score until late July and I'm hoping its a competitive score so I dont have to re-take hopefully!

hi there! thanks for the reply
the only obstacle is that I won't have my score until late July and I'm hoping its a competitive score so I dont have to re-take hopefully!

Honestly I would recommend waiting and seeing what your score is. Applying Late July isn't terribly late. You'll still be getting secondaries in August and September.

Am I a reapplicant to all schools or only the ones I applied to before?
You are only a reapplicant to schools that previously received an AMCAS application from you. For example, if you applied to School A and School B last year, then you would be considered a reapplicant at both of those schools if you are applying to them this year. You would not be considered a reapplicant at School C since you did not previously apply to that school.

You will indicate your reapplicant status per school in the Medical Schools section of your application.

https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/amcas/faqs/301606/amiareapplicanttoallschools.html

So is it better to have NY residency than NJ residency?

NJ matriculants ave gpa 3.63 ave mcat 32.3 acceptance rate 45%
NY matriculants ave gpa 3.62 ave mcat 32.2 acceptance rate 46%

probably not significant