MOST important Qualities of a doctor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctorbettyrock

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There's many qualities of a GOOD doctor. What do you consider the 2 MOST important ones?
And I'm not interested in PRE-MED Qualities.... Just qualities that you look for in a good physician!

Members don't see this ad.

There's many qualities of a GOOD doctor. What do you consider the 2 MOST important ones?

Has to have gone to a Top 10 school b/c anything 11 and up might as well be a snake oil salesman.

Must be a Dermatologist b/c only the best students matched in Derm.

Has to have gone to a Top 10 school b/c anything 11 and up might as well be a snake oil salesman.

Must be a Dermatologist b/c only the best students matched in Derm.
scored a 45t on the mcat with a 4.0gpa w/tons of extracurriculars and published articles

Members don't see this ad :)
1.) Extensive undergrad EC's involving the poor and underserved. Bonus points if it was in a 3rd world country.
2.) Good Pre-med shadowing experiences, at least 1,500 hours worth
3.) The ability to perform cranial OMM???
:smuggrin:

Go-Go-Gadget Flamesuit!!!!!!

I'm not interested in PRE-MED qualities! I'm interested in DOCTOR qualities! Honestly, do you think that a 4.0 GPA automatically makes a GOOD DOCTOR? (If that was the case, we'd have lots of pre-meds in the operating room already, lol).

I'm not interested in PRE-MED qualities! I'm interested in DOCTOR qualities! Honestly, do you think that a 4.0 GPA automatically makes a GOOD DOCTOR? (If that was the case, we'd have lots of pre-meds in the operating room already, lol).

4.) Ability to appreciate sarcasm ;)

Must drive atleast a S-class Mercedes. Anything less shows that the doctor is not wealthy as a result of poor doctormanship.

I can appreciate sarcasm; I just really am curious as to what people really think about the qualities of a physician. So I want REAL answers, that's all

I can appreciate sarcasm; I just really am curious as to what people really think about the qualities of a physician. So I want REAL answers, that's all

We are all just playing. I think the reason that you havn't received real answers is that there is no absolute list of personal qualities. All of the obvious one are, well, obvious. Moral character, work ethic, professionalism, compassion, dedication, empathy, intelligence, curiosity, technical aptitude, enthusiasm, fortitude and stamina, communication skills, attention to detail, etc, etc, ect ...

We are all just playing. I think the reason that you havn't received real answers is that there is no absolute list of personal qualities. All of the obvious one are, well, obvious. Moral character, work ethic, professionalism, compassion, dedication, empathy, intelligence, curiosity, technical aptitude, enthusiasm, fortitude and stamina, communication skills, attention to detail, etc, etc, ect ...

NO! You fed her some secondary answers! Now she knows what to include in her personal statement!

OP, if you really dont know this generic bull$hit question..... save some money and don't become a doctor. I know its harsh, but :eek:

NO! You fed her some secondary answers! Now she knows what to include in her personal statement!

OP, if you really dont know this generic bull$hit question..... save some money and don't become a doctor. I know its harsh, but :eek:

LMAO :laugh: Oooops. I didn't even think about it that way :eek:

She tricked me. ... I am ashamed. :(

I'm not interested in PRE-MED qualities! I'm interested in DOCTOR qualities!

everyone and their mom knows ur trying to beef up ur personal statement; if u cant think of them on ur own, thats just pathetic:D :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Should this question come up during the OPs interview, hopefully she won't have one of the most important qualities of a doctor (or atleast a med student), and that's memorization skills :smuggrin:

Should this question come up during the OPs interview, hopefully she won't have one of the most important qualities of a doctor (or atleast a med student), and that's memorization skills :smuggrin:

Wait, is the OP a woman? Cause if she's really hot it's OK. That's a far more important attribute. It would be awesome to have a hottie as my physician. :thumbup:

Wait, is the OP a woman? Cause if she's hot it's OK. Cause that's a far more important attribute. It would be awesome to have a hottie as my physician. :thumbup:

I'm going to tell your wife!

wait, at least I think you have a wife...

That reminds me of a funny story while I was shadowing a physician. He had sent me to take a history of a nice young Irish gentleman...

I'm to the social part. "How much alcohol do you consume a day?"

*straight faced*
"Oh, about 16 pints"

I don't give it a second thought and start writing it down... a few second pass before I realize... WTF?

I look back up. o_O

He laughs and admits he was pulling my leg.

Guess that sarcasm thing can sneak up on us sometimes...

That reminds me of a funny story while I was shadowing a physician. He had sent me to take a history of a nice young Irish gentleman...

I'm to the social part. "How much alcohol do you consume a day?"

*straight faced*
"Oh, about 16 pints"

I don't give it a second thought and start writing it down... a few second pass before I realize... WTF?

I look back up. o_O

He laughs and admits he was pulling my leg.

Guess that sarcasm thing can sneak up on us sometimes...

Wow, 16 pints. :thumbup: My liver would konk out in about a week of that on a daily basis.

everyone and their mom knows ur trying to beef up ur personal statement; if u cant think of them on ur own, thats just pathetic:D :D

Actually, I'm just curious to know if my answer to this question during an interview (which has already passed) is similar to others. Just curious. No, I'm not trying to beef up my PS. But a sincere thanks for the feedback :D

What was your answer then??

First, I believe that listening skills (and patience) are very important. A doctor has to take the time to listen to each patient for obvious reasons (but many doctors care more about seeing more patients and therefore rush their interactions with each person....).

Second, a doctor must have a lot of confidence. This confidence is not cockiness, but comes from knowledge and experience so that he/she can make proper diagnoses (and make the patient feel at ease).

What do you think? Just curious... b/c it's really hard to narrow it down to 2.

I think being humble (yet confident) is important. Patients can pick up on arrogance and most really resent it. I don't think someone will open up and tell "the whole story" to someone that they think will judge them. This is important for a good patient-physician relationship.

I also think it's important to be a good teacher. You and most of you collegues know that you know what your talking about, but it's important that your patient also understands what is going on so they can make an informed decision and can take an active role in their health.

Just two I thought of. There are definately more than two.

1. Able to say "I don't know."
2. Good interviewer.

And I'm not interested in PRE-MED Qualities.... Just qualities that you look for in a good physician!

First, I believe that listening skills (and patience) are very important. A doctor has to take the time to listen to each patient for obvious reasons (but many doctors care more about seeing more patients and therefore rush their interactions with each person....).

Second, a doctor must have a lot of confidence. This confidence is not cockiness, but comes from knowledge and experience so that he/she can make proper diagnoses (and make the patient feel at ease).

I don't see anything wrong with your answer. So relax :)

1) A hatred of dealing with "other people's problems"
2) At least one violent felony to show that your "hard" enough to handle the initiation at the end of one's residency

1) A hatred of dealing with "other people's problems"
2) At least one violent felony to show that your "hard" enough to handle the initiation at the end of one's residency

3. Convicted pedofile and/or rapist.

1) Ability to accurately diagnose diseases.
2) Ability to effectively treat diseases.

1. Passionate enough about his/her profession that they take it seriously enough to try and give their A game (i.e, work their ass off during all formal training years, and continue to work their ass off during post-training) for each and every patient.

2. Empathy

as the previous poster mentioned, empathy is very important, as is a good sense of humor.

You also have to know how to get them to stop talking...and to avoid open-ended questions except if absolutely necessary. The true hallmark of a good doctor is the ability to redirect a patient who is rambling about everything but what they come in fer'.

You also have to know how to get them to stop talking...and to avoid open-ended questions except if absolutely necessary. The true hallmark of a good doctor is the ability to redirect a patient who is rambling about everything but what they come in fer'.

You obviously don't want patients taking hours on end describing every little detail about their health. However, I think some open-ended questions show that you are interested in their health. Showing that you care is very important to patients, and I believe this has a significant influence on the healing process.

You obviously don't want patients taking hours on end describing every little detail about their health. However, I think some open-ended questions show that you are interested in their health. Showing that you care is very important to patients, and I believe this has a significant influence on the healing process.
:thumbdown: See if you are so willing to listen to an old lady praddle on about the past dozen bowel movements she's had and how her cat Mr. Jingles coughed up a huge hairball last month when she came in for a sore throat once you've actually worked in healthcare for a while. Concern is good, staying on task is better.

There is no question about it: the two qualities you want most of all in a doctor are the two C's - a doctor who is competent and who is compassionate.

You are right, of course. You need to start with the most open-ended question of all, "Why have you come to see me today?" and narrow it down from there. Apparently, Emergency Medicine physicians can only go about 12 seconds, on average, before interupting the patient. I fight to let the patient talk for at least 30. It's only 18 extra seconds and most people need to pause or ask a question after that anyways.

They think I'm Ben Goddamn Casey.

Speaking as a doctor (I'm a DDS), I'd say that the two following characteristics are imperative:

1. Genuine interest in the well-being of your patients. One thing you'll quickly find is that patients generally don't inspire you to care about them. You, as a doctor, must have this intrinsic interest in their well-being, whether they're incredibly charming people or absolutely obnoxious, disrespectful individuals. Without this, you'll very quickly find your job to be a pain in the ass. And when it becomes that, the quality of your work suffers.

2. Genuine interest in your profession. Without that, you won't be compelled to learn. Medicine, dentistry, podiatry, optometry, and even chiropractic require ongoing learning. Although the formal education acquired from these doctoral programs put us far ahead of anyone else in health care (i.e. PA's, nurses, NP's, CRNA's, etc.), you'll learn far more on the job and through continuing education than you did in school and residency. The less your interest and appreciation you have for your profession, the less compelled you'll be to learn as much as you can and improve your skills as a clinician.

Interest in your patients, and interest in your profession as a science. The rest is just detail or icing on the cake.

I think that's an unfortunate compromise that many doctors have had to make, and not necessarily because they wanted to make it. Due to financial restrictions and managed care, some doctors really can only allot a certain amount of time per patient. But saying that they "care more about seeing more patients" is a little unfair, I think.

Here's 2 more:

1) Ability to suck it up when things don't go your way.

2) Ability to navigate between a rock and a hard place when necessary.

Speaking as a doctor (I'm a DDS), I'd say that the two following characteristics are imperative:

1. Genuine interest in the well-being of your patients. One thing you'll quickly find is that patients generally don't inspire you to care about them. You, as a doctor, must have this intrinsic interest in their well-being, whether they're incredibly charming people or absolutely obnoxious, disrespectful individuals. Without this, you'll very quickly find your job to be a pain in the ass. And when it becomes that, the quality of your work suffers.

2. Genuine interest in your profession. Without that, you won't be compelled to learn. Medicine, dentistry, podiatry, optometry, and even chiropractic require ongoing learning. Although the formal education acquired from these doctoral programs put us far ahead of anyone else in health care (i.e. PA's, nurses, NP's, CRNA's, etc.), you'll learn far more on the job and through continuing education than you did in school and residency. The less your interest and appreciation you have for your profession, the less compelled you'll be to learn as much as you can and improve your skills as a clinician.

Interest in your patients, and interest in your profession as a science. The rest is just detail or icing on the cake.

stealing this for my PS

Wow, 16 pints. :thumbup: My liver would konk out in about a week of that on a daily basis.
I've never been as drunk as I was in Cork, Ireland. Oh for the love of Christ....it's not a national passtime, it's a competitive sport.

1) The grades to get in.

2) The ability to secure the money to pay for it.

3) The brains to pass the Step exams.

Seriously, it isn't that complicated, special, or mystical. It's a graduate program. You don't see a million freakin' posts on the internet asking questions like, "What are the MOST important qualities of a PhD level chemist?!" It's just a degree, and just a job. You need to calm down already.

It is important, and if you don't think so then you didn't have to post here at all.
Mind your own business!:mad:

:thumbdown: See if you are so willing to listen to an old lady praddle on about the past dozen bowel movements she's had and how her cat Mr. Jingles coughed up a huge hairball last month when she came in for a sore throat once you've actually worked in healthcare for a while. Concern is good, staying on task is better.

I think it's all about balance. It's quite possible to show someone that you are in fact listening and also direct the conversation to a conclusion. It's quite possible to learn something new about a patient even if you think that he/she is crazy. It's about putting your foot in your mouth, being a little humble for just an extra 30 seconds and then wrapping things up.

1. Intelligence - the sine qua non of medicine, you gotta be smart. You can care and listen until the cows come home, if you don't have the chops you're not going to be good.

2. The ability to smile and bear it as piles of garbage are dropped onto your head.