Most important section on MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bioteach

MSIV
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So we all know that the writing section is the least important of the 4 scores, but how do the other three sections rank? Do adcomms place differing degrees of importance on the VR, BS, and PS scores?

I'm wondering because these are my scores:

12 VR
13 BS

and a whopping...

8 PS

I would think that the verbal and biological sciences are more important than the physical sciences number. Verbal reasoning shows reading comprehension, BS shows the ability to do well in biologically (and hence, medically) related material. Is this just wishful thinking on my part?

Any genuine knowledge, educated guesses, or even opinions on this subject?

Members don't see this ad.

This really depends. It's hard to expect to be taken seriously as physics or chem major if you got a low PS. A high BS is not as impressive with a bio/chem major as with an English major. A high VR in an English major will probably carry less weight than in a Physics major. A high PS will be very important if you got a C+ in physics or gen chem as it will show your abilities.

You get the drift.

Members don't see this ad :)
I personally agree with your logic, OP. It would make sense that BS and VR would be weighed more heavily than PS--but who knows what adcoms think.

I have heard your verbal score is most important but it is the best indicator of how you will perform on the USMLE 1 at the end of your second year. As a result, admissions might weigh that the highest? I have heard that schools do something where they compare applicants by weighing the mcat out of sixty and double your verbal score

Check out an MSAR. You'll see where your sectional scores match up against matriculates for each individual school.

So we all know that the writing section is the least important of the 4 scores, but how do the other three sections rank? Do adcomms place differing degrees of importance on the VR, BS, and PS scores?

12 VR
13 BS

and a whopping...

8 PS

I would think that the verbal and biological sciences are more important than the physical sciences number. Verbal reasoning shows reading comprehension, BS shows the ability to do well in biologically (and hence, medically) related material. Is this just wishful thinking on my part?

Your score is damn good....a number is a number is a number....

Thanks everyone. I'm worried about the darn 8, but I am NOT about to retake that horrible thing. I haven't had physics or chem in 8 years, so hopefully they take that into consideration. Oh well.

Good luck all!

12 VR
13 BS

and a whopping...

8 PS

man, i wish i had your verbal and bio scores. my phys score is always at least a 10 so i'm not too worried about that.