most impressive facilities?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

curiouslygeorge

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Now that many of you have had a chance to tour schools across the country, which do you feel have the best facilities/environment and why?

Members don't see this ad.

curiouslygeorge said:
Now that many of you have had a chance to tour schools across the country, which do you feel have the best facilities/environment and why?

northwestern, the classroom had a plasma screen! the hospital was amazing and all the buildings seemed really nice.

opinionkitten said:
northwestern, the classroom had a plasma screen! the hospital was amazing and all the buildings seemed really nice.
Yale's anatomy lab and library were da bomb.

Members don't see this ad :)
LSU-NO ,Louisiana State University in New Orleans has state-of-the-art, cutting edge technology. The Cohn patient simulator is unparalleled. Students develop great clinical skills in Charity Hospital.....and they have the French Quarter! :cool:

I thought U of Rochester was incredibly impressive in terms of their classroom facilities, libraries, associated labs, and clinical space at Strong Medical Center. The community that one stepped into was really embracing as well.

Maryland has a beautiful library.

Ohio State was impressive

I thought Pitt was pretty nice, and Wisconsin's new building is beautiful.

ajt2003 said:

I second this. Also, I thought Cornell (even though they were super rude and I super disliked the attitudes there) had pretty impressive facilities. Their anatomy lab was the least smelly. There were small laptop computers at every table. Impressive.

Collection of random thoughts: UPenn had a crappy library. I was shocked. Northwestern's library is equally crappy. I thought it was super lame the way that they made us all stand in the circle and yell things out in the acoustic hall at Yale's library. My lunch was horrible. This was the first time I had unripe tomatoes. It was super hard and sour. The guy at the Loop is a transvestite?

Cleveland Clinic (hands down) >> NYMC (still very nice and new) >>>>>> Columbia/Georgetown (equally crummy)

those were my impressions, at least.

Yep, Yale had some really cool stuff. I liked yelling stuff in the library. Of course, when I went to the US Capitol I had to play with the rotunda there too.

What's a Loop?

Members don't see this ad :)
ajt2003 said:

I have to agree with that. Awesome lab. But the student giving our tour said if you were queezy, that you could skip cutting. Such fancy equipment for a curriculum that seems way too flexible. :thumbdown:

DianaLynne said:
Yep, Yale had some really cool stuff. I liked yelling stuff in the library. Of course, when I went to the US Capitol I had to play with the rotunda there too.

What's a Loop?

It's a horrible but well-frequented burger place on Duke's campus. Unripe tomatoes they gave me, DianaLynne, unripe tomatoes! :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Washu's facilities were great, plus they are building a multi-million dollar student center.

Pitt's WISER Institute was really, really impressive.

Hands down top gun in my book

Last edited:
Kazema said:
Pitt's WISER Institute was really, really impressive.

Yes, definitely University of Pittsburgh. And they're getting even more simulators-- ones that secrete bodily fluids and everything! :eek:

Out of the places i've seen, I'm gonna have to go with FSU. Their facility was built with the idea of facilitating medical education for students, so everything there aids in the learning. The LC's have kitchens (microwave, fridge, sink, some have ovens), showers, lockers, separate study rooms each with white boards, LCD projectors and screens, DVD players, speakers built into the room in the ceiling, touch screen menus, etc. And You can't beat NEW :thumbup:

MCW has nice facilities.

well, of the places i've been, case, ohio state, and yale have been the best (pitt and wake forest were also good). dartmouth and northwestern were the most disappointing (except for the sweet-ass hosptials at each school). i'm going to washu monday, and i hear that's nice, too.

UMass is looking really impressive because their construction is about to be complete. They think janurary 2006. Whole new ER's, new Med School lobby and lounges, the classroom is state of the art, and their research building is only 3 years old and received some award in 2003 for biomedical research design. IT may look like a construction heap now, but once it's done (which will be soon), it will look incredible and it will be extremely ahead of its time.

GuyLaroche said:
UPenn had a crappy library. I was shocked.

Just ignore Biomed library. I never go there anyways. There's several really nice libraries you have access to within 2 blocks, as Penn campus is right there. You can get free coffee at the GSC, which is super-sweet for addicts like me. What really makes me upset is how crammed in we are to our lecture halls. That's something to consider when choosing a med school. As for "the lectures are recorded!", that's great except so much is required attendence anymore that you're going to spend a significant amount of time there anyways. Don't come late or it's the floor for you again!

liverotcod said:
I thought Pitt was pretty nice, and Wisconsin's new building is beautiful.

Pitt has the best patient simulation facilities for sure.

Neuronix said:
Just ignore Biomed library. I never go there anyways. There's several really nice libraries you have access to within 2 blocks, as Penn campus is right there. You can get free coffee at the GSC, which is super-sweet for addicts like me. What really makes me upset is how crammed in we are to our lecture halls. That's something to consider when choosing a med school. As for "the lectures are recorded!", that's great except so much is required attendence anymore that you're going to spend a significant amount of time there anyways. Don't come late or it's the floor for you again!

I absolutely noticed this! When we visited one of the lectures, it was super packed. 150 students is a pretty damn huge class size. It makes me lean closer to Duke's trim size of 100. Still, UPenn is a pretty darn impressive school, and everyone I have talked to told me to absolutely try my hardest to get admitted to it.

I love Pitt too, notably the WISER facility and the transplant research building they have. They are also going to have a new building which would be nice too. Penn was nice too, but I actually liked Pitt just as a comparison.