most impressive medical center?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

arkroyal

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i would say texas medical center

Members don't see this ad.

I am partial to Duke's, but I have not seen that many others. I love Duke's medical center.

*touche Desiredusername...touche

I think the longwood medical area at harvard is great. It's huge, there are great hospitals, and great research and fenway park is just a few blocks down the street.
Now if only I were smart enough to get in...

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd say UCLA's new medical center is pretty nice. I haven't been inside yet but it looks pretty awesome. They could have chosen a better name for it. :rolleyes:

Vandy, everything is brand new and hundred of millions of dollars in current construction

northwestern's facilities are brand new and purty.

LT8R said:
I'd say UCLA's new medical center is pretty nice. I haven't been inside yet but it looks pretty awesome. They could have chosen a better name for it. :rolleyes:

What, the new one or the old one?

The old one's crap and has the world's most confusing bottom level EVER, not to mention the tiniest little ER. In the basement.

The new one's not open. Since you mentioned "better name" I'm imagining this is the one you're talking about. Poor Ronnie.

My vote's for TMC.

seilienne said:
What, the new one or the old one?

The old one's crap and has the world's most confusing bottom level EVER, not to mention the tiniest little ER. In the basement.

The new one's not open. Since you mentioned "better name" I'm imagining this is the one you're talking about. Poor Ronnie.

My vote's for TMC.

Did you read my post?

I used to do research in the ED at UCLA, I agree, the old hospital sucks a$$. But it is going to be replaced very soon.

University of Missouri has a pretty nice hospital and a great staff (I should know, I used to be part of it)

arkroyal said:

The only beef i have with the TMC is that there is little if no communication between the hospitals and schools. Most are private and they are all somewhat mad at one another for something that the other did. There are at least 4 private hospitals, 1-2 public hospitals, and 2 medical schools....if they got their crap together it would be spectacular.

Don't get me wrong though, TMC is still the best :D :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll second Vandy. Everything so shiny and new, and more new facilities on the way.

The children's hospital is freaking Disneyworld.

And if I were a med student, I'd definitely try to sneak into the Ortho rehab facilities for a workout. Nicer than a lot of D-I athletic facilities.

I'm not sure it counts as *most* impressive, but UAB (UASOM) is technologically very advanced. Also, the huge new wing of the hospital just opened (this year): enormous, brand new operating rooms; super, ginormous emergency room, etc... UAB has Extensive research facilities, 100s of millions in (additional) new construction--including still more research facilities & a new womens & children wing, to begin construction in the next year--as well as current rennovation of older spaces. (And let's be honest here: even if it were the most impressive, people wouldn't believe me since it is in Alabama). We are one of the best funded research schools in the country (top 20 for NIH funding). It is very easy to find faculty willing to work with you. Despite the school's focus on research, my experience as an undergrad here was great; faculty are approachable and interested in students. My experiences with the med faculty so far have been similar. Opportunities abound, people are friendly, and the physical resources of the school are already terrific, but getting better every year.
Anecdotally, one of my friends (now a resident) planned on leaving UAB for residency from day 1 (she is from California). Interviewed at ~a dozen hospitals, and took away rotatations in Cali. At the end of it all she came back indicating that none of the other places she interviewed with measured up to UAB, and here she remained (note that Harvard, WashU, Duke, etc. were not among the schools she visited).

One caveat: don't leave the city limits or the Morelocks (rednecks) will get you.

http://grants.nih.gov/grants/award/rank/medttl04.htm

chef_NU said:
I'll second that.

the Texas Medical Center is twice as big as the second largest med.center

it boasts 12 world-class hospitals and over 100,000 employees

LT8R said:
Did you read my post?

I used to do research in the ED at UCLA, I agree, the old hospital sucks a$$. But it is going to be replaced very soon.

Not thaaaat soon. 2007. By the time you reach your 3/4 years at UCLA Geffen.

Of the places I've visited, Northwestern has had the snazziest hospital.

Elastase said:
Not thaaaat soon. 2007. By the time you reach your 3/4 years at UCLA Geffen.

I know right. Wasn't it supposed to open last spring? It doesn't surprise me that the construction and admissions office are moving at the same pace. Bureaucracies :rolleyes:

UCLA....all the way!!!!! :cool:

I think the new Los Angeles County will be pretty great. And in terms on intense urban/indigent medicine I don't think you can beat LAC, Bellevue, and Grady.

Texas Medical Center, all the way. UT Houston, please accept me on February 1!

I am from chicago and i still think TMC is badas$

2 words: MD Anderson

you don't get more "world-class" than that

arkroyal said:

Texas Medical Center All the way!!!!
It is the largest in the world and continues to expand:
tmc-campus.jpg

RICETMC.jpg

houstonmedicalcenter.jpg

tmc_aerial.jpg

TMC_w_labels.jpg

These pictures do not even include Shriner's Hospital and Texas Orthopaedic Hospital

MED_04 said:
the Texas Medical Center is twice as big as the second largest med.center

it boasts 12 world-class hospitals and over 100,000 employees

whats second biggest? my guess is boston's medical district

TMC definitely- everything you ever wanted and more in terms of diversity of patients served, specialities, all that good stuff. Plus, a crap-tacular little weekly newspaper that it puts out (all PR press releases from the hospitals and ads for condos).

TMC, no question.

I live right next to Vandy (i can see it from my window and lifelight helicoptors wake me up constantly) and work there, so its probably second (in my book), but a very distance second.

karirunner said:
TMC definitely- everything you ever wanted and more in terms of diversity of patients served, specialities, all that good stuff. Plus, a crap-tacular little weekly newspaper that it puts out (all PR press releases from the hospitals and ads for condos).

There hasn't been one day in TMC history without some massive contruction project going on. They are expanding Herman hospital as well as adding another research wing at my school. And just for the record there are currently 3 medical schools in the TMC, Tulane med students moved here after Katrina.

And don't forget the dental schools, nursing schools etc.

I enjoy the train during rush hour and seing that over 50% of passengers are wearing white coats, while I am in my lowly scrubs with a disabling load of books.

Is TMC nationally known for anything else besides cancer (MD Anderson)? My vote is for Cleveland Clinic.

TheMightyAngus said:
Is TMC nationally known for anything else besides cancer (MD Anderson)? My vote is for Cleveland Clinic.

texas childrens is awesome, too. #4 by usnews

Goose-d said:
texas childrens is awesome, too. #4 by usnews

Methodist is top 10 in most catagories

St. Luke Heart center is top 10 in cardiology and cardiovascular surgery

riceman04 said:
Texas Medical Center All the way!!!!
It is the largest in the world and continues to expand:
tmc-campus.jpg

RICETMC.jpg

houstonmedicalcenter.jpg

tmc_aerial.jpg

TMC_w_labels.jpg

These pictures do not even include Shriner's Hospital and Texas Orthopaedic Hospital

damn...way bigger than ucla. :thumbup:

You can't knock the TMC. The best there is, hands down.

TX515 said:
You can't knock the TMC. The best there is, hands down.

agreed

you truly have to experience it to realize how f*ckin badas$ it is

Its_MurDAH said:
agreed

you truly have to experience it to realize how f*ckin badas$ it is

Yes indeed!

TMC - from the places that I've seen.

Does everyone think it is better, though, than Mass Gen, Brigham and Womens, Beth Israel, Dana Farber, not to mention the research that goes on at HMS and the collaborations at MIT, etc. if they were all in one center? I'm not so sure.

LT8R said:

Same here. I haven't seen the inside, but exterior looks really nice.

mercaptovizadeh said:
TMC - from the places that I've seen.

Does everyone think it is better, though, than Mass Gen, Brigham and Womens, Beth Israel, Dana Farber, not to mention the research that goes on at HMS and the collaborations at MIT, etc. if they were all in one center? I'm not so sure.

Yes b/c those same collabo's occur with Rice/Baylor/UH/TSU/Texas Women's/ etc...

LT8R said:
damn...way bigger than ucla. :thumbup:

dude that pic of the tmc is like 10 yrs old

it doesn't include:
- the major MD-Anderson basic science research center
- Baylor Clinic
- V.A. Hospital (2nd largest government building)

and on the whole the TMC recieves more research grants than any other medical center (baylor alone is number 1 for NSF funding, and 10th for NIH)
Texas Childrens Hospital and MD-Anderson recieve the most amount of government funding in their respective fields