Most In-Depth MCAT Review

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

laurwinggrayson

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, don't laugh. (And don't be annoyed that I'm posting this question - again, haha)

I'm currently an education major in a CUNY college. I've fairly recently decided I wanted to apply to medical school. With only a few semesters left, I'm not switching majors. I am planning on taking the MCAT in January 2014. From your experience, which out of the major (or if you have alternates) would be a good choice for someone like me, with a very minimal background in science and math?

I scoured the threads, but nothing was very specific to my needs. Thank you all so much for your input.

Members don't see this ad.

Okay, don't laugh. (And don't be annoyed that I'm posting this question - again, haha)

I'm currently an education major in a CUNY college. I've fairly recently decided I wanted to apply to medical school. With only a few semesters left, I'm not switching majors. I am planning on taking the MCAT in January 2014. From your experience, which out of the major (or if you have alternates) would be a good choice for someone like me, with a very minimal background in science and math?

I scoured the threads, but nothing was very specific to my needs. Thank you all so much for your input.

I'm guessing you are referring to mcat study books? I would recommend EK 1001 books for your general understandings with EK lecture set to introduce you into the topics. TBR has a very intensive content review approach; however, they do a poor job at introducing all material in a "learning" format. I would recommend using EK lecture to really learn the material, EK 1001 to test your understanding of the material, and TBR to test your "MCAT" understanding of the material. I'm not sure about the TPR and Kaplan material but I'm sure they would be good supplemental material too. From what I have read, TPR has an excellent hyperlearning series that could help you.

As for being an education major, don't fret. Education majors have the ability to write lecture-style notes, which is great for learning the material. Just prepare yourself like you were going to be presenting the material to a class and it should help you moreso than science majors who are not as inclined generally to this.

Hope this helps!

I would suggest the The Princeton Review Hyperlearning series. They cover stuff in depth and they include the basics. Berkeley Review is great but they assume that you know a lot of background information. Examkrackers... i wouldn't recommend just because they have a lot of errors and they do a bad job, in my opinion, explaining a lot of the material.

:thumbup: good luck!

Have you taken the prerequisite courses? If you haven't taken physics, gen chem, organic, and biology it will be exceedingly difficult to teach yourself all the material from prep books. This would not be recommended.