most interesting subspecialties of neurology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BillyRubinstein

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
what do you all feel are the most fascinating subfields of neuro? I really enjoy the science of neurology, but so many doctors at my clinical center are dissuading me from Neuro. they tell me that theres no money in adult or peds neuro, two fields i'm interested in. they also manage to stick in there how I will always be diagnosing and never treating, especially hands on treatment. I never wanted to go into medicine for money, but many people make it sound as if i'll barely break even. I take it that the more in office procedures done, the more money will be available to make. i'd really appreciate some feedback. thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Most interesting, like most beautiful, is in the eye of the beholder. Do a neuro rotation with a dynamic attending and see if you love it.

As for not being able to make a living in neurology, that is untrue. As with any specialty you can do well if you provide good service to your patients and referring physicians. It is of course helpful to acquire expertise in neurodiagnostic studies, vascular, sleep, etc. With a bit of sense and skill, one can do quite well.

Last edited:
What's your real question here? You start off asking what the most interesting subspecialty is and end up wanting to know how much money you'll make.

While both are valid concerns, one (the money question) can be answered fairly easily by visiting the myriad of physician salary websites. Bottom line is that you won't starve but you won't have the biggest house on the block either.

The other (the "interest" question) can only be answered by doing, because what one person loves, another will hate. I love pulling the chains of all the wanna-be stroke docs here, because I pretty much hate stroke (or "vascular neurology" if you prefer). Give me squiggly lines on an EEG or EMG, instead, 'cause I love neurophysiology. If you're really interested in neuro, you need to spend as much time as possible with neurologists in both academic and private practice, in both outpatient and hospital settings. You won't see everything you need to in your one month med student neuro rotation, so you'll may need to put in some after hours time to really do this.

As for "never treating," that's not true as an absolute, but to be honest, there are few slam-dunk fixes out there. Keep in mind that much neurologic disease is chronic and incurable, so your role is usually to treat symptoms and maximize patient function without actually curing. This is not unlike the role of the internist who treats diabetics, hypertensives, etc. If that doesn't appeal, I strongly urge you to look elsewhere.

what do you all feel are the most fascinating subfields of neuro?

All subfields of neuro are cool! Stroke, neuroICU, neuroimmunology, neurotology, endovascular surgery, sleep, eeg/emg, etc. are all fascinating.