most/least favorite parts of neurosurgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nicholjs

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
what do you enjoy the most about neurosurgery? what are the horrible aspects?

Members don't see this ad.

Best: The variety (i.e. spine, peripheral nerve, brain)

The worst: The 15th hour of the meningioma

The best: Being everyone's personal McDreamy
The worst: a lot of people die

Members don't see this ad :)
The best: the future.
The worst: the present.

The best: clinical challenge in diagnosing brain tumor cases.
The worst: trauma cases !!

The best: clinical challenge in diagnosing brain tumor cases.
The worst: trauma cases !!

The best: trauma cranis
The worst: spine call

Question for Dr. Idiopathic: what is the clincal challenge in diagnosing a brain tumor? We usually get an MRI in the ER, do the biopsy, then await the pathologist's evaluation of the tissue sample. Not exactly rocket science.

The best: trauma cranis
The worst: spine call

Question for Dr. Idiopathic: what is the clincal challenge in diagnosing a brain tumor? We usually get an MRI in the ER, do the biopsy, then await the pathologist's evaluation of the tissue sample. Not exactly rocket science.

Rocket science isn't really that hard...I don't know why people still use that phrase.

Rocket science isn't really that hard...I don't know why people still use that phrase.

Well, the other proper idiomatic phrase in this case would be "It's not exactly brain surgery." That wouldn't really work, now would it?

;)

My once "very busy" but now "busy" neuro practice is now over shadowed by an "extremely busy" chiropractic office (approx. 500 pv/week and growing).

My office manager says he is both an expert in primary and spine care, otherwise he handles everything soup to nuts. His axial decompression system is busy all day six days/week.

Numerous amounts of my spine injury patients are now his and have reported that they have had impressive success under his care.

I'm very concerned and scared of this DC. I feel the loss of respect and vitality.

Any suggestions?

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Best: Aneurysms...
Worst: Spine...

Best: Aneurysms...
Worst: Spine...

I read an article describing repairing an aneurysm before it ruptures as akin to 'bomb disposal'. That once you cut down to it, there's a very real risk of rupturing the aneurysm when you try to clip it. And so handling the aneurysm with instruments is akin to handling a live bomb, as one slip could kill the patient on the spot.

On the other hand, spine supposedly is the highest average paid specialty there is.

The difference is if you slip with a bomb, it's not just the bomb that goes bye-bye.

Btw, sorry for posting here. I'm only pre-med, but I've worked in an OR and for a surgeon before. I've helped with a few neuro cases, and they were awesome.