Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

Most Meaningful Experiences

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical Allopathic [ MD ]' started by soccerusa, 05.16.14.

1. SDN is made possible through sponsorships and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. soccerusa

soccerusa 5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    I am looking for some advice regarding which experiences to list as most meaningful. I have 4 experiences that I am deciding between for the 3 slots: lab research, long term volunteer (non clinical), residential advisor and a clinical research position with a lot of patient contact.

I would like to pick the first 3 and leave off the clinical research position but then I would have no clinical experience in my most meaningful experiences. Is this a red flag?

I have to have the research in there as it has led to three papers, so it is really the volunteer, RA and clinical research for the last two spots. What would you all do?

Thanks for your help!

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Pacna

Pacna Dyslexics, untie! 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    There are no red flags when it comes to meaningful experiences (unless you put "Nazi Training Camp" or some shi*). It's all about what's most important to you.

4. hoihaie

hoihaie Banned Banned

Medical Student
    its what you think is most meaningful for you, not what is most meaningful for the adcoms

5. Shazam243

Shazam243 2+ Year Member

RA and clinical research.

6. Ismet

Ismet PGY-fun SDN Administrator 5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Verified
    Physician
    While I agree with the prior responses in that it depends on what is honestly most meaningful to you, I have to say that if zero of your most meaningful experiences pertain to medicine/research, that might raise questions. Not saying that your app would go in the trash, but one might wonder why none of your most meaningful activities pertain to your future career, on an application that is essential for getting to your future career.

Personally I would list the clinical research and the RA position, but RA vs volunteer position depends on what the volunteer thing was and how important it is to you. The RA position, especially if it was over several years, shows a lot of leadership.

About the ads