Most modern medical school facilities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TripleDegree

Joker Doctor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts?

I've heard that Stanford U's med school is one of the most modern - new buildings, gleaming laboratories, separate medical school section etc etc.

I've also heard of the not-so-great ones that share their classroom space with other undergraduate majors........*yech*

Members don't see this ad.

rochester.... they have 3 year old ones or sumthing.. sweet facilities

from the schools that i saw last year - i'd say that yale and cornell had the newest core teaching facilities/labs/anatomy rooms/auditoriums etc... duke/harvard/washU/penn also had very nice teaching facilities. among the oldest looking were ucsf's [i felt that most of their resources are being poured into the mission bay campus as opposed to the med school parnassus campus]/hopkins. all the other schools i visited also had beyond adequete facilities [umich,vandy,columbia,ucla,baylor,upitt].

the above only applies to pre-clinical facilities [almost all the hospitals associated with the above schools are flagship academic centers in their respective areas]

having said that - it's quite obvious that ucsf, for instance, is an excellent school with mostly happy students, who probably care less about the veneer of the school they attend. completely personal.

i chose my school out of the above [except for 1] and based my decision mainly on other factors, but the facilities certainly didn't hurt.

Members don't see this ad :)
Loyola has a pretty sweet building and very nice labs and common spaces.

i found stanford's facilities to be amazing but a work in progress since there are some older buildings (library complex) smushed with the new facilities. i also enjoyed umich a lot....they have some pretty amazing med student classroom and training facilities. i also thought ucsf was a bit on the old side, but then again the students i met there did nothing but rave about the place and their clinical traiining seemed the most impressive out of all the schools that i've seen to date.

George Washington's new hospital is pretty sweet. it's currently the newest hospital to be opened in the nation. but watch out for the brand new UCLA medical center, which should be completed real soon.

UW-Madison will be soon completing new educational facilities close to the hospital. Iowa is new too.

the cleveland clinic, hands down, you've got to see this place to believe it.

UAB has the newest med school facilities, their building just opened this year.

I don't know if anyone has applied to NY Medical College, but they did a bunch of renovations recently, and it is nice . The anatomy lab was very clean and spacious, and it had skylights. The 1st year lecture halls were totally redone, also. One thing I thought was cool is that one entire wall of the medical sciences building is glass, and the day we went for a tour the sun was just pouring in. Environment and atmosphere are very important to me. I don't know if I could go to a school where I'd be spending most of my day locked away in a basement somewhere.

The student housing was pretty nice, too. Overall I was very impressed.

Didn't Hawaii build some new facilities?

Originally posted by UCIgrad2002
but watch out for the brand new UCLA medical center, which should be completed real soon.

They said in 2005, w 200 million from david geffen and 100 million from ronald regan it is supposed to be the most modern when it opens.

my interviewer told me that the total cost will exceed 1 Billion!

uhs-com has some great facilities. They are building a brand new research lab and probably have the one of the best anatomy labs and lecture halls in the nation

sixteenstones