Most *****ic thing said at interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SD Skunk

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yo, has anyone ever unintentionally said something extremely ludicrous at an interview?

Here is mine: at one of my earlier interviews, I was asked how I felt about abortion (one of my more challenging interviews). I told him that I personally am pro-choice, and I gave him my reasons. So he kept giving me scenarios in which my view was taken to the extreme, and redirecting the same question back to me: "So what about in that case, are you still pro-choice?" Basically he wanted to see how well I could maintain my view, even under pressure.

Anyhow, I was so ridiculously hell-bent on maintaining my view no matter what (I knew he was also trying to test the strength of my backbone), so at one point I ended up saying something really crazy. I ended up saying that I would support abortion even if it was performed on a 9-month-old fetus. Haha, crazy. Crazy-ass ****.

It wasn't until his eyes bugged open and he bellowed, "Would you personally perform that abortion? A 9-month-old fetus???" that I realized the absurdity of what I had said and was immediately humbled back into the world of rationale.

So I ask you fellas -- ever unintentionally say anything wildly stupid in an interview?

(I got a phone call from that same interviewer less than a week later, btw, telling me I got in. Most amusing. Maybe he hates babies. :laugh: )

Members don't see this ad.

Skunk, that's pretty damn funny! Congrats on the acceptance!!

I dont recall saying something totally ridiculous in any interviews, but this one time I was asked if I thought it was OK for human organs to be sold for people to buy them, and I said Yes as long as its regulated in some way, perhaps by the government. I think he was looking for a No to the question, but he didnt look too surprised when I said Yes. It was one of my first interviews, so I was kinda nervous, and I didnt want to take too long in responding, so I just blurted out an answer. I got waitlisted at the school, so I guess it wasnt that bad...

yeah that's funny :D

probably the most *****ic thing I did was walk into the coat closet after a job interview. It seemed so natural because the closet door was right in front of me during the whole interview (and the real door behind me, hidden from view) but yeah, I felt like the world's biggest idiot. He told me I wasn;t the first one to do that, but maybe he was just saying that to be nice :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
At Penn, on meeting my interviewer, I foolishly quipped: "I wish they had given me information ahead of time on who you are so I can build a dossier on you. They did that at Harvard."

To which he replied: "This ain't Havard."

I almost died. He actually used the contraction "ain't"! Sometimes, I wonder if I should actually take the advice of so many people who have suggested that I get over myself. In the meantime, I'll keep embarrassing myself in these sorts of awkward moments.

*After a long conversation about sports, my Baylor interviewer points to a picture of him with someone else on his desk
Baylor interviewer: Do you know who that is with me?
Me: Carl Lewis

It was Lenny Wilkens. I looked at the wrong picture and had no idea who it was. So, I half-jokingly guessed, since it looked like Carl Lewis. I don't think he had a sense of humor.

And I haven't heard back from Baylor in three months. :p

GuyLaroche said:
At Penn, on meeting my interviewer, I foolishly quipped: "I wish they had given me information ahead of time on who you are so I can build a dossier on you. They did that at Harvard."

I almost died. He actually used the contraction "ain't"! Sometimes, I wonder if I should actually take the advice of so many people who have suggested that I get over myself. In the meantime, I'll keep embarrassing myself in these sorts of awkward moments.

my initial thoughts:

1. why did harvard give you info on a penn interviewer?

2. did you reply to "this ain't harvard" with, "don't be so hard on yourself, its that defeatist attitude thats keeping you down"?

3. how much of yourself do you really have to get over?

4. you almost died?

i'm just playin'. drakkar, you "ain't" gotta get offended.

GuyLaroche said:

HAHAHAHA, oh damn GuyLaroche, i gotta admit, i didn't think i liked you much till now. but damn, that touch of humanity that add actually makes your slight arrogance rather charming. hahaha i laughed out loud upon reading that post

ramblinwreckie said:
*After a long conversation about sports, my Baylor interviewer points to a picture of him with someone else on his desk
Baylor interviewer: Do you know who that is with me?
Me: Carl Lewis

It was Lenny Wilkens. I looked at the wrong picture and had no idea who it was. So, I half-jokingly guessed, since it looked like Carl Lewis. I don't think he had a sense of humor.

And I haven't heard back from Baylor in three months. :p

That's funny as hell. It's really funny b/c Lenny is damn ugly and looks nothing like that pretty-boy, media darling Carl. At least you didn't slap your knee and make some quip about them "all looking alike" to you.

I offered sexual favors at one of my interviews.. I know this doesnt sound too out of the ordinary except that I'm 325 lbs. Basically what I said was "Bottom line.. I want to go to med school and I'm willing to give you a BJ right here right now for that privilege." It didn't go over too well and I was waitlisted at the school.

This isn't *****ic, but it's probably worse:

Oftentimes, I have the urge to laugh during extremely inappropriate moments (i.e. like when someone is describing something really awful that happened to them, in very vivid language). I don't know why, either. Or maybe I would if I did some internal searching, but quite frankly, I don't want to know for sure if I'm a really horrible person. I've noticed other people have this problem too--I can see their mouths twitch! It's like being ticklish to really awful events.

Anyway, whenever I have the urge to laugh, I bite the corners of my mouth and block out what the person is saying, but sometimes a grin will still peak thru. :D

Megalofyia said:
I offered sexual favors at one of my interviews.. I know this doesnt sound too out of the ordinary except that I'm 325 lbs. Basically what I said was "Bottom line.. I want to go to med school and I'm willing to give you a BJ right here right now for that privilege." It didn't go over too well and I was waitlisted at the school.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
OMG! This is the funniest post evah!

Megalofyia said:

LOL HOLY F UCKING BALLS OF F UCKING ****. I am laughing my ass off. Man, they should admit you just for ballsiness and humor alone

SD Skunk said:
HAHAHAHA, oh damn GuyLaroche, i gotta admit, i didn't think i liked you much till now. but damn, that touch of humanity that add actually makes your slight arrogance rather charming. hahaha i laughed out loud upon reading that post

really. i think it detracts. it makes him both arrogant and pathetic. i can stand one or the other, but not both =P

Members don't see this ad :)
Megalofyia said:

this same exact thing happened to me! i got the high priority waitlist though

funshine said:
This isn't *****ic, but it's probably worse:

Oftentimes, I have the urge to laugh during extremely inappropriate moments (i.e. like when someone is describing something really awful that happened to them, in very vivid language). I don't know why, either. Or maybe I would if I did some internal searching, but quite frankly, I don't want to know for sure if I'm a really horrible person. I've noticed other people have this problem too--I can see their mouths twitch! It's like being ticklish to really awful events.

Anyway, whenever I have the urge to laugh, I bite the corners of my mouth and block out what the person is saying, but sometimes a grin will still peak thru. :D

I actually had dinner with a psychiatrist friend of mine today who told me about this. I was complaining about a friend who seemed to be holding back a smile when I told him of my Northwestern waitlist. I had assumed the friend was a hater, and I have a lot of those because I bring it on myself. (This is no remorse, mind you! I thrive on hate). He explained that there are studies that show that the more you try to repress a particular act especially in inappropriate moments, the more you are likely to actually do it. He explained that my smiling friend may have been thinking "how awful will it be if I laugh about this," and in trying not to laugh, he actually does. I am still convinced, however, that he was laughing out of spite.

omg, im totally shocked at hearing that people actually offered sexual favors during interviews!! is this for real??? that cant be for real, how unprofessional is that? More power to you if you did it :eek:

funshine said:
really. i think it detracts. it makes him both arrogant and pathetic. i can stand one or the other, but not both =P

Pathetic is a new one. I'll wear it with pride. :)

heeter said:
That's funny as hell. It's really funny b/c Lenny is damn ugly and looks nothing like that pretty-boy, media darling Carl. At least you didn't slap your knee and make some quip about them "all looking alike" to you.

I didn't mistake Lenny Wilkens for Carl Lewis. I looked at the wrong picture.

GuyLaroche said:
I actually had dinner with a psychiatrist friend of mine today who told me about this. I was complaining about a friend who seemed to be holding back a smile when I told him of my Northwestern waitlist. I had assumed the friend was a hater, and I have a lot of those because I bring it on myself. (This is no remorse, mind you! I thrive on hate). He explained that there are studies that show that the more you try to repress a particular act especially in inappropriate moments, the more you are likely to actually do it. He explained that my smiling friend may have been thinking "how awful will it be if I laugh about this," and in trying not to laugh, he actually does. I am still convinced, however, that he was laughing out of spite.

I think both you and your psych friend are right. It makes sense that spiteful ppl are tickled by bad news. The urge to smile arises from spite, and once you've recognized that urge, you can't hold it back =)

Edit: In defense of spiteful people everywhere, I have to say that we don't mean it personally--it's not like we're glad that bad things are happening to you b/c we secretly hate you...Spite is more of an acquired trait. Bad things happen to you. You learn to cope by laughing it off and poking fun at them. You apply this attitude to bad things in general and it becomes "spite."

My worst interview moment was probably at UTSW. This lady asked me why I got into medicine and what specialty I wanted to pursue. She was a neonatologist. I told her that I used to want to go into pediatrics, but that it would be too depressing. She replied that she sees babies die every day. Oops. Although I maintain that my opinion is correct, because she was probably the most morbid, depressed woman I've ever met. I went on to say that although I'm from a rural area, I would not want to return to a small town to practice, because I don't like the lack of diversity and closed-mindedness that characterizes small towns. Turns out she's from a small town in Oklahoma and absolutely loves small towns. Double oops. Long story short, I ended up waitlisted. Surprise, surprise. :rolleyes:

getunconcsious said:
Although I maintain that my opinion is correct, because she was probably the most morbid, depressed woman I've ever met. QUOTE]

Sorry, but how can you tell just from 1 interview that she was "morbid and depressed"?

funshine said:
:thumbup: :thumbup: i still haven't figured out if he is a total troll, and i'm not sure whether to believe a word he says

funshine said:
getunconcsious said:
Although I maintain that my opinion is correct, because she was probably the most morbid, depressed woman I've ever met. QUOTE]

Sorry, but how can you tell just from 1 interview that she was "morbid and depressed"?

Flattest affect EVER. Maybe she was just having a bad day (or trying to trip me out?) But she sure came off that way.

Blue Scrub said:
omg, im totally shocked at hearing that people actually offered sexual favors during interviews!! is this for real??? that cant be for real, how unprofessional is that? More power to you if you did it :eek:
if you believe that you're even more naive than i am :oops:

Psycho Doctor said:
:thumbup: :thumbup: i still haven't figured out if he is a total troll, and i'm not sure whether to believe a word he says

The Christian act is entirely false. The rest of it is all me and all true. Hope this helps.

getunconcsious said:
funshine said:
Flattest affect EVER. Maybe she was just having a bad day (or trying to trip me out?) But she sure came off that way.

I have told you countless times to drop the word "depressed" from your vocabulary. You know I absolutely love you, but honey, that word is off-putting.

GuyLaroche said:
The Christian act is entirely false. The rest of it is all me and all true. Hope this helps.
Christian act??? I never saw that and I didn't believe the "God bless" for a second.

GuyLaroche said:
getunconcsious said:
I have told you countless times to drop the word "depressed" from your vocabulary. You know I absolutely love you, but honey, that word is off-putting.

Why does everyone think that I have no identity outside of being depressed/depressing?

Psycho Doctor said:
Christian act??? I never saw that and I didn't believe the "God bless" for a second.

I cannot say I do not like all Christians, but quite frankly I have yet to meet one that I like. You certainly aren't helping the opinion poll in my mind.

God bless!

getunconcsious said:
GuyLaroche said:
Why does everyone think that I have no identity outside of being depressed/depressing?

I don't think that. I think you're a lovely person, and I enjoy chatting with you.

getunconcsious said:
funshine said:

alright ;)
I asked because "morbidly depressed" sounds...interesting and almost romantic (in a twisted way)...NOT flat

GuyLaroche said:
getunconcsious said:
I don't think that. I think you're a lovely person, and I enjoy chatting with you.

do you adopt this way-too-formal, mocking, almost patronizing tone with your peers in real life? (the above quote is not a good ex, but you know what i mean)

not exactly something i said on an interview but something that i did just before it.

at a particular school after nervously waiting awhile to have my personal interview, i had to go to the bathroom. I didn't want to make a big issue of it so i sort of walked around until i found one. I didn't see anyone in it but obviously someone was in one of the stalls. As I was leaving two girls walked in and looked at me strangely. I then notice it said "Women" so i just sort of muttered "oops I guess don't belong here" and then i just ran out of there. :oops:

funshine said:
GuyLaroche said:
do you adopt this way-too-formal, mocking, almost patronizing tone with your peers in real life? (the above quote is not a good ex, but you know what i mean)
if you've read some of their other posts, it's actually rather fitting

funshine said:
GuyLaroche said:

Getunconscious knows the genuine nature of that post. I have only ever been myself. I don't know how else to be. So if you think I sound way-too-formal and mocking, then perhaps I do. I don't know. I certainly haven't heard any objections from the 1001 or so persons who attended my birthday party last year. And what a to-do it was!

GuyLaroche said:
funshine said:
Getunconscious knows the genuine nature of that post. I have only ever been myself. I don't know how else to be. So if you think I sound way-too-formal and mocking, then perhaps I do. I don't know. I certainly haven't heard any objections from the 1001 or so persons who attended my birthday party last year. And what a to-do it was!

this whole forum is starting to feel so surreal and tripped out

Yeah, this Ph.D. was interviewing me, and we got into a discussion about Middle East Politics.

He asked me an incredibly stupid and offensive question:

"Do you think that the problems in the Middle East can be attributed to the medieval culture of Arabs?"

WTF? What a facist.

Psycho Doctor said:
not exactly something i said on an interview but something that i did just before it.

at a particular school after nervously waiting awhile to have my personal interview, i had to go to the bathroom. I didn't want to make a big issue of it so i sort of walked around until i found one. I didn't see anyone in it but obviously someone was in one of the stalls. As I was leaving two girls walked in and looked at me strangely. I then notice it said "Women" so i just sort of muttered "oops I guess don't belong here" and then i just ran out of there. :oops:

i always thought you were a girl psycho. maybe it was your sig line.

Dr Turninkoff said:
i always thought you were a girl psycho. maybe it was your sig line.
yea i guess there aren't many guy Christians who enjoy a hug

Psycho Doctor said:
yea i guess there aren't many guy Christians who enjoy a hug

you know, psycho, at first you really annoyed me. But the more you post, the more I like you.

I think you were called a "good egg" on another thread. I agree. :thumbup:

GuyLaroche said:
funshine said:

ok. doctor says it's bad for my health to talk to people like you.

Actually, SDN in general has been bad for me. Signing off. Good nite, people!

funshine said:
you know, psycho, at first you really annoyed me. But the more you post, the more I like you.

I think you were called a "good egg" on another thread. I agree. :thumbup:
it's ok, i annoy me sometimes too :oops:

and good nite, i suppose i ought to sign off too and finish some course lwork

Tra La La said:
Yeah, this Ph.D. was interviewing me, and we got into a discussion about Middle East Politics.

He asked me an incredibly stupid and offensive question:

"Do you think that the problems in the Middle East can be attributed to the medieval culture of Arabs?"

WTF? What a facist.
Hey, that kinda reminds me of that Dave Chappelle HBO comedy special where he goes, "Have you ever heard something so racist that you're not even offended, but you just stand back and think to yourself, 'wow. that was...that was racist!' It's like watching Atlanta burn down...like, damn."

I still think being told, "you remind me of my wife" is hilarious. Especially when said unintentionally and with a subsequent look of horror upon realizing what he just said. OK, maybe it wasnt funny but you'll have to trust me when I say that the look on the interviewers face was priceless. absolutely priceless.

Beyond that I dont have anything really good just the usual kind-of-silly but not really funny questions and my kind-of-dumb but not really funny answers.

Shaz said:
Hey, that kinda reminds me of that Dave Chappelle HBO comedy special where he goes, "Have you ever heard something so racist that you're not even offended, but you just stand back and think to yourself, 'wow. that was...that was racist!' It's like watching Atlanta burn down...like, damn."

Seriously. I didn't know what to say...I quietly put my tail between my legs and didn't call him on this fact because it didn't even occur to me.

In the end, I withdrew from the school. But, damn, "medieval culture"? I don't know what that guy was smoking.

Oh, I almost forgot!! One interviewer said told me my research was "overfunded" (which it is NOT grrrrr!) and followed that up with "so you are in a singing group? I hope that you're not going to med school to sing!". That was good times.

Still, it wasnt so much *****ic or offensive (like the comments above) so much as just really annoying.

I don't know if this counts, but at my very first interview at UT San Antonio the interviewer asked me to tell him about my research and I totally blanked. I couldn't even begin to describe what I had done, and I had worked on the project for nearly two years. That didn't happen to me at any other interview, I guess I just had a huge brain fart. Needless to say , I probably looked like a giant faker to my interviewer.