most needed surgical specialty in future???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gooze

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys, so i was wondering what your thoughts are on what you think will be the most needed surgical specialty/subspecialty of the future? i understand that all will be needed of course but what subspecialties do you think will be in most demand and be most highly recruited?? thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Is this the "Urology vs. Ortho" question again? ( http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=864285 )

Which field are YOU more interested in? Everyone's going to have their own opinion on the predicted future of any given field. Not a lot of practicing urologists and/or orthopedists here, if that's what you're looking for.

Members don't see this ad :)
I like to think vascular surgeons with good endovascular training. My own biased opinion.

hey guys, so i was wondering what your thoughts are on what you think will be the most needed surgical specialty/subspecialty of the future? i understand that all will be needed of course but what subspecialties do you think will be in most demand and be most highly recruited?? thanks.

There is "evidence" (based on mathematical models, e.g. COMPACCS) that critical care will be in high demand in the coming 20-30 years. Surgical intensivists currently comprise only about ~5-10% of the intensivists in the US, so whether these models generalize to the SICU is up for debate. But I think it's reasonable to say that CC will be an in-demand subspecialty in the near future.