Most Prestigous Jobs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Captain Fantastic

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I saw this on the news -- and the survey said:

#1: Firefighter
#2: Doctor
#3: Nurse
#4: Scientist
#5: Teacher

So if you're looking for prestige you should be an RN who later goes to medical school for an MD, PhD who tutors on the side when not volunteering for the fire department?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
etf said:
i say the most prestigious job is commodities trader

I thought it was arms dealer?

idk if i would consider firefighter prestigious, Instead id probably label a firefighter nobel (could be the smae i guess); they get paid very little to run into fire. And they dont have "power" over others in the sense of owning a weapon, or wielding a scalpel.

Ugh maybe President? Or whatever P-Diddy does...

ed2brute said:
I saw this on the news -- and the survey said:

#1: Firefighter
#2: Doctor
#3: Nurse
#4: Scientist
#5: Teacher

So if you're looking for prestige you should be an RN who later goes to medical school for an MD, PhD who tutors on the side when not volunteering for the fire department?

braluk said:
idk if i would consider firefighter prestigious, Instead id probably label a firefighter nobel (could be the smae i guess); they get paid very little to run into fire. And they dont have "power" over others in the sense of owning a weapon, or wielding a scalpel.

Are you kidding me? They OWN THE POWER OF FIRE!

Funny how pay and prestige don't go hand-in-hand.

Nursing is considered a prestigious profession? I have to admit, I have never heard of such a thing... And if that is the case - what's with the constant nursing shortage?

Robizzle said:
the worst power to own, and in my most honest opinion, was "heart". Earth Wind water was much better

wouldn't fireman be as equal as a cop? both are kinda risking their lives

beariebearie said:

Maybe so, but firefighters don't pull you over for speeding.

Nursing is considered a prestigious profession? I have to admit, I have never heard of such a thing... And if that is the case - what's with the constant nursing shortage?

I have never heard nursing associated with prestige either, though no doubt many of them deserve more respect than they get.

I've heard something along the lines of "The three most respected jobs are teacher, doctor, and preacher. Of these three, only one pays well." :)

Members don't see this ad :)
you rarely hear people ever complain about firefighters or argue about firefighter brutality. cops can do stuff and get away with it. Firefighters dont have that leisure. I always hear about firefighters who fight to run into the blaze then be the one safe outside working the hoses and engine and ladder

braluk said:
you rarely hear people ever complain about firefighters or argue about firefighter brutality. cops can do stuff and get away with it. Firefighters dont have that leisure. I always hear about firefighters who fight to run into the blaze then be the one safe outside working the hoses and engine and ladder

p.s. they have the POWER OF FIRE!!!!!!! :smuggrin:

braluk said:

As far as pay goes, it depends on where you work. The firefighters I worked with made very good livings, especially the captains, and ran into very few fires. However, most of them would gladly fight a fire instead of responding to fire alarms ringing at three in the morning. Still, they only work ten days a month! Wait, what am I thinking, I need to go to the fire academy, screw med school.

braluk said:
you rarely hear people ever complain about firefighters or argue about firefighter brutality. cops can do stuff and get away with it. Firefighters dont have that leisure.

Well said.

braluk said:
how bout being a lady wrestler

No one is revered more than Chyna.

Robizzle said:
LIAR! One of these kids do!
rings.jpg

But honestly if i had to give my opinion it would be
1) Leonardo
2) Donatello
3) Raphael
4) Michelangelo
5) April
6) Baxter the Fly

But no really, if you leave this country (assuming you are in the USA)
most respected professions (in particular asia and probably europe)

is teacher, doctor, religious figure (i.e. the pope, or cardinal, priest, etc)

BrettBatchelor said:
LIAR! One of these kids do!
rings.jpg

Wasn't it the redhead? (How unimaginative.)

Looque said:
Wasn't it the redhead? (How unimaginative.)

not as bad as the original power rangers...

black ranger was black
yellow ranger was asian
pink ranger was a girl

...yes so i watched a couple of episodes... seasons...

obrn said:

You have to see the nurses in action (talking about ER, ICU, OR, OB etc). It's a very challenging profession. There's nursing shortage because they get paid crap to begin with, then there's the back-breaking labor, and all the politics they have to deal with, in the hospital system. All that can completely burn you out, hence the change of career. Completely different stature than doctors. That's why a lot of nurses leave to become doctors :) .

Robizzle said:

black ranger was black
yellow ranger was asian
pink ranger was a girl

I hope you made note of that on your AMCAS, because surely it would help set you apart from the herd.

As i said earlier, heart is the worst power. Earth is the best

Earth:
Pros:
Enough earth will absorb any amount of water anyday +1, cant really burn it away with fire +1, only changes shape after thousands of year of wind erosion +1, bury animals +1

Cons:
Animal poo -1

Heart
Pros:
Can make the monkey hump something inanimate +1

Cons:
Just about everything -5

Earth wins

If you guys need some advice on teh scientific method, just PM me

braluk said:
As i said earlier, heart is the worst power. Earth is the best

Earth:
Pros:
Enough earth will absorb any amount of water anyday +1, cant really burn it away with fire +1, only changes shape after thousands of year of wind erosion +1, bury animals +1

Cons:
Animal poo -1

Earth wins

But likewise, enough water can flood any amount of earth, and perhaps the rigidity of earth is a drawback? Where's its adaptability? (Of course, I wouldn't contest the argument that earth is better than heart.)

plrae12 said:
You have to see the nurses in action (talking about ER, ICU, OR, OB etc). It's a very challenging profession. There's nursing shortage because they get paid crap to begin with, then there's the back-breaking labor, and all the politics they have to deal with, in the hospital system. All that can completely burn you out, hence the change of career. Completely different stature than doctors. That's why a lot of nurses leave to become doctors :) .

I am not knocking nursing at all -- and I'm not leaving because I don't like it; my job is wonderful. It's just not what I want to do. But given that I doubt most of the people that were surveyed are nurses, I'm just shocked that it would be listed high on a list that is based on 'prestige'. It's many, many things - a fantastic choice for a lot of people - but prestigious it isn't.

obrn said:

The shortage is because hospitals would rather pay a nurse or PA $30/hr to do most of the work than pay a doctor $130k/yr

i guess it comes down whoever has more energy then, to put up earth or to deal firepower with water.

I would think the rigidity of earth relative to water would work in its favor so that the person in possession of said earth ring can just shape the land so that they can reroute the path of the water that the water ring bearer is shooting back into the water ring guy, thus nullifying him or her. I think in a duel, earth would win, all earth would have to do is just enclose the water ring bearer into an enclosed earth ball. Then theres no where that water can go. You certianly cant erode away the earth. And if he or she shoots a blast of water, he or she will probably just drown. :sleep:

braluk said:
i guess it comes down whoever has more energy then, to put up earth or to deal firepower with water.

I would think the rigidity of earth relative to water would work in its favor so that the person in possession of said earth ring can just shape the land so that they can reroute the path of the water that the water ring bearer is shooting back into the water ring guy, thus nullifying him or her. I think in a duel, earth would win, all earth would have to do is just enclose the water ring bearer into an enclosed earth ball. Then theres no where that water can go. You certianly cant erode away the earth. And if he or she shoots a blast of water, he or she will probably just drown. :sleep:

Hmmm, here's my opinion.

First off, heart is the worst. Heart is not an element or a force, it's a guy with a bad accent holding a monkey praying to the gods that Captain Planet will emerge out of the recycling bin.

Second off, water automatically beats fire for obvious reasons.

Third off, I agree that earth is the best. Wind can't do much to earth on a short-term basis...same with water. Fire could arguably do some damage, but if enough earth is created (and perhaps encapsules fire), then it would have no trouble. I don't even have to explain why heart would lose.

With all that said, what was the OP's question again?
-Dr. P.

Dr. Pepper said:
Hmmm, here's my opinion.

First off, heart is the worst. Heart is not an element or a force, it's a guy with a bad accent holding a monkey praying to the gods that Captain Planet will emerge out of the recycling bin.

Third off, I agree that earth is the best. Wind can't do much to earth on a short-term basis...same with water. Fire could arguably do some damage, but if enough earth is created (and perhaps encapsules fire), then it would have no trouble. I don't even have to explain why heart would lose.

With all that said, what was the OP's question again?
-Dr. P.
something about prestigious jobs.. doesnt everyone realize that all questions will eventually be deferred to captain planet, or chuck norris in one tacet way or another

beariebearie said:

If you think they're that similar, try saying that to the next cop who pulls you over or fireman who's trying to help you. See how nice they are to you then. :laugh:

And with fire...if you've got enough of it, the water won't necessarily stop it easily at all, but if the water is contained correctly, you can boil off the water. So what's stronger- fire or water?

Dr. Pepper said:

Holding the #1 most prestigous job while working for the #2 most prestigous job, I can tell you that water does not always beat fire. When you have a car fire and shoot a straight stream under the hood it really sucks when the magnesium transmission is on fire and the water makes a giant white fireball blow up in your face.

Also, who else thought the russian chick with wind was a hottie? :D

Dr. Pepper said:

Water can not put out an oil fire. It will just keep spreading. :) Btw Heart is pretty lame. Stupid monkey! :mad: However, i r baboon is good.

neom3x11 said:
wow I didn't even remember there was a Heart.
captain planet rules! with all the pipet tips I'm wasting in lab, I think we need a PhD Planet.

I think what you meant to say was "Captain PhD." PhD Planet is a television station where they attempt to elucidate the behavior of PhDs in their natural habitats. Captain PhD, however, is an otherworldly being composed of the elements blood, sweat, tears, pain, and heart (which we all agree is useless). On a side note, Captain MD is composed of blood, sweat, tears, urine, and feces.

hmm Captain MD...what are his/her 5 elements anyways. I don't like the urine/feces powers. Those have very rigid limits. We can do better...

I consider physician and scientist prestigious, but the others... they're respectable jobs that most people have the intelligence to attain and do not require quite the sacrifice. I think being an engineer, director of a hospital, a professor, dean, or other similar professions to be more prestigious.

BIODOME!!!

Just 'cause we're in the bubble...doesn't mean we can't cause trouble. :laugh:

Robizzle said:

black ranger was black
yellow ranger was asian
pink ranger was a girl

So what? I was the green ranger for halloween, and, I made my own costume, biatch.

Captain MD has 5 elemental powers:

1. The delegation of cleaning up baby vomit
2. Writing as hideously as possible and causing a rift between him/herself and all pharmacists within 20 miles.
3. A 1000 yard stare caused by such deep fatigue that few have the balls to ask them a question.
4. Tapping nurse ass [ladies too - you snag that cabana boy nurse].
5. Feigning sympathy to overdemanding patients who feel entitlement.

When these powers combine...!!!

SitraAchra said:
Captain MD has 5 elemental powers:

1. The delegation of cleaning up baby vomit
2. Writing as hideously as possible and causing a rift between him/herself and all pharmacists within 20 miles.
3. A 1000 yard stare caused by such deep fatigue that few have the balls to ask them a question.
4. Tapping nurse ass [ladies too - you snag that cabana boy nurse].
5. Feigning sympathy to overdemanding patients who feel entitlement.

When these powers combine...!!!

Heck, yes. I'm thinking that if male doctors get to "tap that ass", women docs should also "tap" hot residents, fellows, nurses, etc. Equal opportunity tapping. :laugh:

jackieMD2007 said:
Heck, yes. I'm thinking that if male doctors get to "tap that ass", women docs should also "tap" hot residents, fellows, nurses, etc. Equal opportunity tapping. :laugh:

You and I. We're about the same things Jackie. If you weren't all up with Danjo I think there's potential. Everyone knows Captain MD is genderless, but exudes sexual prowess akin to Tony Danza.

SitraAchra said:
You and I. We're about the same things Jackie. If you weren't all up with Danjo I think there's potential. Everyone knows Captain MD is genderless, but exudes sexual prowess akin to Tony Danza.

:thumbup: Yeah, I am definitely all up w/Danjo but I appreciate the ups. Big up yourself. I'm just up for sexual liberation, you know? Its about time us girls decided what we like and stand up for it.