most quantitative specialty?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Beckie

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the most quantitative medical specialty? I received my undergrad degree in math. I've heard that nephrology and nuclear medicine are quantitative specialties. Is this true? Are there any others?

Members don't see this ad.

do you mean quantitative in terms of diagnostics/therapy?

...or in terms medical decisions being evidence-based

radiation oncology is pretty quantitative in both respects.

I'm looking for a medical specialty that I can use math on the job every day.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Due to the fact most premeds don't like too much math, and having rotated through a few departments myself, I don't know if there are many specialties out there that Directly use math on a day to day basis. Most medicine is deduction and implicit conclusions rather than explicit sort of logic that is used in math.

Thank you.

What if I went into research. I knew this doctor who worked for a cancer research center. How does a doctor get to do research?

I took a personality test and it said that I'm most happy working in an investigative field.

Thank you.

What if I went into research. I knew this doctor who worked for a cancer research center. How does a doctor get to do research?

I took a personality test and it said that I'm most happy working in an investigative field.

Many of doctors in "academic medicine" (meaning employeed by universities or large hospital centers) do research.

Research would allow you to do more math than clinical work would. But if you just want to do research and not see patients a PhD is a better route.

Many of doctors in "academic medicine" (meaning employeed by universities or large hospital centers) do research.

Research would allow you to do more math than clinical work would. But if you just want to do research and not see patients a PhD is a better route.

+1 on this. Look into the MD/PhD forum; there is VERY little protected time even for MD/PhD's in academic settings. An MD/PhD that I worked for is now working full-time as a researcher in industry because she felt that she just wasn't focused enough on research while working at one of the top research hospitals in the nation.

Preventive Medicine / Epidemiology is the only medical field I am aware of that involves math regularly. Primarily statistics. And to echo the above sentiments, if all you care about is research and using math, though, why medical school at all? (yes, i'm challenging you. don't waste ur time with an MD/PhD if what you really want is math/research)

I already asked in the nucs forum. I too am doing very quant-heavy theory major (unsure exactly what though). The most "quantitative" it gets is short division. You can forget about PDEs and Fourier series unless you do research outside of practise.

There is no specialty in medicine that will be quantitative.

Look into Rad Onc very heavy into physics tho and extremely competitive....

Rendar5: I don't mind you challenging me at all. It's a very good question. I've thought about the same thing you mentioned.

I'm thinking that getting my PhD in Economics might be a good idea if I want to do research but I'm not sure. Thanks everyone for the ideas/comments. :)

my dad is a radiation oncologist, he's always loved physics and he loves his job because he gets to use physics all the time.

Thank you.

You are basing your future off a personality test? :eek: Are you sure you did undergrad in math?

Definitely something statistics-heavy like Epi/Preventative medicine. Anesthesia might come close, just because they use math on a minute-to-minute basis to keep patients alive during surgery.

How much money do Epi/Preventive Doctors make and what is the path to become this type of doctor?

Thanks!