Most Realisitic Verbal?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kfcman289

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey I have been studying for verbal with the Kaplan course and with the 101 passages from EK. I personally feel like EK is harder, but do any of you guys know whether Kaplan or EK is more realistic of the actual MCAT?

Members don't see this ad.

AAMC > TPHR > EK > everything else

seems to be the consensus.

Reactions: 1 user
Based on my experience, I've always found EK verbal to be a little more representative than Kaplan. Using Kaplan (and others) for practice is still probably helpful though. I would maybe save the EK for last.

Based on my experience, I've always found EK verbal to be a little more representative than Kaplan. Using Kaplan (and others) for practice is still probably helpful though. I would maybe save the EK for last.

Kaplan course materials or their regular for-sale books?

I haven't really delved into either yet but they are drastically different with little overlap. For instance, their for-sale science books stink while their science course materials are amazing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Kaplan course materials or their regular for-sale books?

I haven't really delved into either yet but they are drastically different with little overlap. For instance, their for-sale science books stink while their science course materials are amazing.

I guess I'm referring to their course materials... I'm not really sure what the for-sale books are.

I guess I'm referring to their course materials... I'm not really sure what the for-sale books are.

like the ones you'd go to a bookstore/Amazon to buy vs. the stuff they give you when you sign up for the course.

they're actually very, very different.

like the ones you'd go to a bookstore/Amazon to buy vs. the stuff they give you when you sign up for the course.

they're actually very, very different.

Interesting, I don't think I've seen those. Well, it's a shame you have to sign up for the expensive course to receive the best materials.

It's a business after all ;)

Are you referring to their Sectional Tests for verbal? I think they have 15 of them?

So its what in their books + 15 verbal FLs + some in their QBank + Their FL MCATs ..

@Jepstein which one of them do you think was the best? How did you use them?

Are you referring to their Sectional Tests for verbal? I think they have 15 of them?

So its what in their books + 15 verbal FLs + some in their QBank + Their FL MCATs ..

@Jepstein which one of them do you think was the best? How did you use them?

I haven't had time (yet) to look through Kaplan's verbal materials. Eventually, I will and I'll update the thread I have with my review of all the various resources.

I didn't use them for my MCAT, though.

In general, Kaplan has two distinct MCAT resources. Their course materials are hands down better than their non-course materials. Topical tests especially.

I haven't had time (yet) to look through Kaplan's verbal materials. Eventually, I will and I'll update the thread I have with my review of all the various resources.

I didn't use them for my MCAT, though.

In general, Kaplan has two distinct MCAT resources. Their course materials are hands down better than their non-course materials. Topical tests especially.

Great thanks

1. If you are studying with the Kaplan course, I wonder if they are intentionally starting you out on easier passages and questions, and saving the more difficult ones for later? Kaplan has some incredibly difficult passages and some easier ones. By difficult, I mean lots of sentences with multiple phrases, unconventional word usage, no thesis in the first paragraph, and weird organization (non-linear). I doubt that Kaplan would throw you a curve ball right away.

2. EK is good, but don't limit yourself to EK, or to EK and a Kaplan course that's focusing on easier stuff. I've found that most or all passages in the EK 101 book are similarly organized, use simple language, and tend toward the shorter side. Also be aware that EK 101 has a few (a couple not a lot) potential answer key errors in it, per two of my tutors. So, if you find one, ask around but don't take their word as gospel. I would also suggest alternating any EK studying with some other test prep material from Kaplan, TPR, or wherever, just because EK answer keys are worded in a negative way that wears on some people. (Example of an EK answer key: "WRONG: B is not the correct choice. B has nothing to do with the passage. This is not why the author said blank in the first paragraph. Pick A next time and be a great student!" Reading that sort of statement over and over bothers some people. (They could have just said choice A is correct without rubbing in the negativity.)

Hey I have been studying for verbal with the Kaplan course and with the 101 passages from EK. I personally feel like EK is harder, but do any of you guys know whether Kaplan or EK is more realistic of the actual MCAT?