Most similar field to ophthalmology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hemichordate

Peds
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to do some ophtho research at my school but there are some holdups right now, so I'm trying to get some research experience in another field. Which specialty would you guys say is the most similar to ophtho in terms of research? Neurology?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm trying to do some ophtho research at my school but there are some holdups right now, so I'm trying to get some research experience in another field. Which specialty would you guys say is the most similar to ophtho in terms of research? Neurology?

There is some crossover, but overall they are very different fields. There are some neurology-trained neuro-ophthalmologists that are non-surgical. You may be able to find research topics in neurology that would lend themselves to ophthalmology, if that's what you seek.

immunology, vascular biology, neurology, neurosurgery

Members don't see this ad :)
I think facial reconstruction and trauma in ENT overlaps well with oculoplastics. Seems like on my neuro rotation the eye was an enigma to most of the residents (they called an ophtho consult once to evaluate an unknown mass in the sclera - turns out it was a trab flap). Depends on whether you want to go the basic science rout or clinical. The clinical route is more feasible for a short term project. There is some novel research using OCT to evaluate atherosclerotic coronary plaques in cardiology and tumors in the GI tract. Given ~50% of all OCT research is ophtho related knowledge of the device would be helpful. Pathology is another option. Think melanoma, lymphoma, metastatic lesions, or any systemic disease process that can affect the orbit. Also, I wouldn't ignore research by vision scientists in optometry. If there is a school of optometry near you they may have projects you could participate in. Good luck.

immunology, vascular biology, neurology, neurosurgery

Immunology- Ah, no. Ophthalmology is a surgical speciality with mostly even split between OR and clinic. High patient volume. Diverse pathology. People of all ages.

Vascular biology- wtf is that?

Neurology- although some parts of ophthalmology do overlap with neurology, neurology by it's nature is not a surgical speciality.

Neurosurgery- H*ll no. We have a much better lifestyle. Most neurosurgeons have more OR then clinic. They do make tons more money though.

Closest speciality to ophthalmology? I'd say ENT, which is more surgical for most docs. Remember, back in a day these were combined into a single speciality ("eye and ear infirmary").

Immunology- Ah, no. Ophthalmology is a surgical speciality with mostly even split between OR and clinic. High patient volume. Diverse pathology. People of all ages.

Vascular biology- wtf is that?

Neurology- although some parts of ophthalmology do overlap with neurology, neurology by it's nature is not a surgical speciality.

Neurosurgery- H*ll no. We have a much better lifestyle. Most neurosurgeons have more OR then clinic. They do make tons more money though.

Closest speciality to ophthalmology? I'd say ENT, which is more surgical for most docs. Remember, back in a day these were combined into a single speciality ("eye and ear infirmary").

The thread is about ophthalmology and research, not life style.
You may want to do some reading on uveitis and angiogenesis. It is certainly relevant to ophtho.

I guess it depends on the type of research you are doing: basic science or clinical?

If you want to do basic science research that is relevant to ophtho, then some of the above recommendations (ie. immunology, angiogenesis etc.) would be very applicable.

Clinically, though none of the above fields are truly similar to ophtho, the fields that are most relevant in terms of research would be ones involving the orbit or central nervous system such as neurology or facial plastics.

If you truly want to do something that will impress program directors and that does not involve ophthalmology directly, try to get involved with a quality project that has a good chance of getting published in a reputable journal in a the limited amount of time you have during med school...yeah, that's a lot to require but those projects do exist!

Any bench research would be fine, as long as you are able to explain its possible relevance in an interview. Experience in any aspect of a research enterprise has some value, including grant writing, IRB presentation and defense, familiarity with animal research, special techniques (PCR, tissue regeneration, electron microscopy, etc.) and of course, analysis and publication.

Last edited:
Endocrinology and vitreo-retinal med DM is the cause of a lot of ocular pathology

Any research will count. There is a spot on the application and you want to fill it. Make sure you are interested in it (willing to put in the time needed to bring the project to completion) and the rest will fall into place.

I don't care if it is dementia, diabetes, immunology, oncology - bringing a project to completion is all that counts. This will likely only happen if you are interested in the project.