Most strategically-ideal time to take the AAMC FL?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sylvee

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Based on your experiences, would 10 days before test-day be a good time to sit down and do the AAMC full-length? That is my plan right now, and I figure that it would give me a good buffer to go back and do any last-minute reinforcement of any nagging issues. Thoughts?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I would do it 10 days before or so, BUT I will leave time to do after that 1 more FL - more harder one (Kaplan one or other known to be harder than real thing) just to keep your skills and alertness/vigilance at high levels. Simply because AAMC FL is golden in terms of way material is presented - it will mimic real thing closest than anything else, but it is IMHO too easy per se - and will make your expectations lower and on real thing you may be left off guard so to speak.

A statistically significant study (p=0.05) showed taking the AAMC FL 326.825hrs before the exam resulted in optimal performance of test takers, success in med school, multi-million dollar salaries, increased longevity, more attractive spouses, smarter/more athletic children, and a greater sense of fictional finalism in participants (StudyLater, 2015).

Reactions: 4 users
I tend to disagree with the vast majority of this site and think you need to take the AAMC FL with a decent enough amount of time left to actually be able to learn from it and change your techniques and approaches based off what you learned from that test. To me otherwise the only purpose the AAMC FL serves is to tell you whether or not you are ready to take the real test if you take it days before the real thing. And lets face it very few people even if they do rather poorly are going to re-schedule just because of that low AAMC FL. So to me the ideal time is late enough in your prep where youve done all content review and a solid number of problems but early enough where you still have time to learn from your mistakes, notice trends and attack certain weaknesses. Maybe 60-70% through your studying to put a random number on it might be a good time to take the AAMC FL.

We are considering the fact there are people that have done well on this test without even taking the AAMC FL, correct?

Just wondering if we're being reasonable or spitting out random, unsupported opinions here. I thought the latter at first, hence my first post.