Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Most unusual admissions stories

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Atlas, Jul 16, 2001.

1. Atlas

Atlas Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Anybody have an interesting story to share about not-so-great applicants getting into top-notch medical schools? Or, if you have an unusual story about how you or someone you know got in, I'd like to hear it.

Thanks

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. fishtolive

fishtolive Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

i have an interesting story about why not to lie on your app (my tpr bio instructor told me this one)...
    he knew someone that had stuff about being an accomplished pianist on his app whether in his essay, post-sec stuff, or both...anyway, when he went to interview at jefferson, if i remember correctly, the interviewer just happened to have a crappy keyboard in his office (turns out he liked to play piano and he kept the thing there)...the interview was closed file, i think?, and when he opened it and saw the stuff about the piano, he asked him to play...well, turns out he never played an instrument in his life and so he tensed up and tried to play it off like he was too nervous...he was rejected soon after...pretty sucky,huh?

4. Atlas

Atlas Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Ha Ha! That's hilarious! It goes to show..never lie because your lie will come around and bite you in the butt when you'd least like it to. Good story.

5. dtreese

dtreese Caramel Gollum
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hmmmmmmmmmmm. Maybe I should remove "starred in Academy Award-winning film" from my app :D

6. Smoke This

Smoke This Sweet cuppin' cakes!
    10+ Year Member

LOL!! :D Talk about a tough break. Still, you've gotta admire that punk's brazen attempt to play it off.

7. bluegill

bluegill Member
    7+ Year Member

I had an interviewer start off an interview with, "I wanna know why there's so many damned DRUNKS that come outta your college." I hesitated, and nervously laughed, but he re-asked the question 3 or 4 times, dead serious. I came up with something about "work hard, party hard..." and the guy cut me off. "I'm not talkin about PARTYING here, I'm talkin about DRINKIN. Yer school is full a DRUNKS."

Then he started laughing hysterically, thank God, and I joined him in bent over laughing, and we carried on from there.

It was scary, but fun!

8. Legend

Legend Super Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Haha. May I ask which college you attended?

9. bluegill

bluegill Member
    7+ Year Member

Since you're a New Englander, I'll let you guess...

It's in Boston, it's on a hill, and the hockey team won the NCAA championship in 2001.

And apparently it has a reputation for churning out big-time drinkers!

10. Legend

Legend Super Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    haha. Got it!

11. Popoy

Popoy SDN Super Moderator
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]

I heard this one before... hmmmm.... I think it might be just one of those myths.... Then again it might be real.... urban legend perhaps?

12. Popoy

Popoy SDN Super Moderator
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Here's one I've heard during the time that AMCAS was only available on paper application (which we all wish it still was ;)):

This particular student had stellar grades and stellar MCATs and was very confident he was pretty much a shoe in for medical school.... He had the experience, background, and even published an independent research,him being the primary author.... Anyway, in his secondaries he'd respond to the questions by drawing a foot and placing a caption that read "If you want to know what I got to offer, get my foot in the door and I'll show you what I can offer."

True or not, I thought that was interesting.... maybe stupid, but interesting....

13. po' boy

po' boy Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I have a funny interview story...

At my Hopkins interview, I stayed in Reed Hall the night before (sucks!). I grabbed my shampoo, soap, toothbrush, razor and shaving cream and headed for the hallway bathroom at around 7am (interview at 8am). After lathering up my face, and almost exactly after I had finished shaving one half of it (picture a line of shaving cream going down the median), I reached down to rinse off my razor, bumped it on the edge of the sick, and PLOP! My only cartridge went straight down the drain.

I was the only person in the bathroom, and as the minutes ticked by, I was FREAKING OUT. Luckily a student came in around 7:30, and miracle of miracles, he had an extra disposable I could have. (Don't borrow razors, ever!)

Moral of the story: carry an extra razor blade to your interview, lest you be accused of being "two-faced."

:D

14. doepug

doepug Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Picture this... 2 hours before my very first med school interview (at Duke), I started getting dressed only to realize that I had forgotten my shirt! I had the rest of my suit, tie, shoes and all, but no shirt. No stores were open (early morning), and the guy at the front desk of the hotel didn't have an extra white shirt, and he wouldn't rent me the shirt he was wearing. Luckily I managed to bribe the hotel shuttle driver to get to a store (just as it was opening) and rush me to the school. It made for a funny story that day during my interviews. :)

doepug

15. colorado_1

colorado_1 Member
    7+ Year Member

you mean they actually double check the things you put on your application? good thing no one ever asked me about "graduated 1st in my class from starfleet academy."

come on, the piano story is an urban legend.