Most/Worst User Friendly Secondaries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trying

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Most User Friendly = Harvard, Sanford, Penn, Cornell, Columbia
Worst = UCSD (print out an unformatted template and mail yourself)
= UCI (on a website that is horrible to read)

what do you think?

Members don't see this ad.

I'd have to disgree on Cornell....there is no save button

drexel's sucks because the site is down every three seconds

Case Western has a very well made one, as does Pritzker

I'd have to disgree on Cornell....there is no save button

drexel's sucks because the site is down every three seconds

Case Western has a very well made one, as does Pritzker

minnesota's pretty well designed. too bad they have ridiculous requirements

Members don't see this ad :)
the uva secondary forces you to click through 6 pages of filler before you can login. I thought it was funny. EVerytime it's like, are you sure you want to do this?

sort of random, but I thought the software that Tufts and St. Louis University used (same stuff) was very easy to use AND aesthetically pleasing!

sort of random, but I thought the software that Tufts and St. Louis University used (same stuff) was very easy to use AND aesthetically pleasing!

The secondary at St. Louis and MCW were almost identical.... both very easy to figure out and no essays for both... well except for the optional one at St. Louis.

UoMass gave me hell from a mac.
Couldn't log in with Safari or Firefox at all, and got kicked out pretty often with IE v5.
Also, wanted far too much erroneous information.

Other one that gave me some trouble was Maryland because of similar browser incompatibilities (though could at least log in fine).

loyola was pretty poorly formatted too. its tough trying to fill out that damn word doc.

The absolute worst I've had is Emory's. I had to go in and change default cookie settings and use only IE for it to work.

It's silly for schools to require printing out part of all of the secondary to mail in. Easier for everyone to do it all electronically. So put Emory, BU, Yale, Einstein... maybe a few others I don't remember on that list.

Actually I liked Wayne State's secondary. None of it was electronic. They snail mailed the secondary. You typed the essays in WORD or whatever and snail mailed them back to them and then phone it to check to see if your file is complete. They then snail mail the interview invites. But guess what... there were no problems submitting it!

BU, Hopkins, and Columbia were incredibly slow using Safari on my Mac, but if I switched to a PC and used IE they worked fine. Why is there no love ever for making things run smoothly on Macs?

BU, Hopkins, and Columbia were incredibly slow using Safari on my Mac, but if I switched to a PC and used IE they worked fine. Why is there no love ever for making things run smoothly on Macs?

Macs are a thing of the past... :sleep:

The secondary at St. Louis and MCW were almost identical.... both very easy to figure out and no essays for both... well except for the optional one at St. Louis.

JHU and Columbia also used the same application system

Members don't see this ad :)

What was really annoying for Mac was that for the AMCAS primary, Safari and Firefox didn't work, so I had to download Netscape

I got annoyed by schools which didn't have fillable fields on their Abode apps. RFU and SUNY Downstate come to mind...

Most User Friendly = Harvard, Sanford, Penn, Cornell, Columbia
Worst = UCSD (print out an unformatted template and mail yourself)
= UCI (on a website that is horrible to read)

what do you think?

I agree, I thought the Tufts secondary was very easy to fill out.

:thumbdown: for the ones like Downstate and Stony Brook, that had pdf forms that couldn't be typed onto.

This year's worst med app goes to....(Drumroll please)

NYU....there is no save button and no status page. Also, they only give two boxes to entre req courses, when there are kids out there on the quarter system....

Runner up....Jefferson med college (can't copy/paste)

Oh well....

I'd say from the ones I looked at Creighton's secondary is not user friendly. Well, scratch that....it seems like extra work. You gotta e-mail the microsoft word doc secondary because they won't accept printed secondaries yet they want you to print out the verfication and mail it out with the secondary fee. Now, I think this doubles the chance of your stuff getting lost...i.e. E-mail not received, stuff getting misplaced lost via snail mail etc. It seems using a singular mode of submission would be more practical.

This year's worst med app goes to....(Drumroll please)

NYU....there is no save button and no status page. Also, they only give two boxes to entre req courses

I second that.

UC Davis is the worst. Each webpage only has one essay question even if it's only 600 char plus an 'optional' section that makes it a seemingly endless click-through, hard to navigate back and forth, no preview before completion. Pain in the ARSE.

Let me throw Drexel into the mix for still having tons of technical problems over a week after they released it!

Good: UVM, Rush, BU, Case Western

Bad: Rosalind Franklin, SUNY Downstate

i cant think of anything else off the top of my head

Good: UVM, Rush, BU, Case Western

Bad: Rosalind Franklin, SUNY Downstate

i cant think of anything else off the top of my head

rush had some issues for awhile, though...

for anyone who commented about Wayne State's all paper secondary, I sent mine out on monday and recieved an interview today (1 week later), so they have thier **** together over there.

As for Case, more props to them after some intial confusion. I left a blank on the rec letters section which caused iApply be "think" that I wasn't sending any letters to them. The people at case saw the problem and corrected it themselves.