General Admissions & OTCAS MOT personal statement advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MOTpleaseaccept!

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am currently working on my personal statement for the MOT program. I'm not too good with putting my thoughts on paper. I would love some advice for personal statement that will help make it stand out. Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey

Just a few ideas

Don't get too wordy, keep it to the point.
Use language that lets them know you understand the terminolgy/lingo of the field (read the Ot Framework for ideas)
Apply what you know about OT to your own life, when describing why you chose OT.
Have a clear career goal/focus, but be open to exploring new areas while in school to find where you best fit.
Don't focus only on the end goal, show excitement for the challenge and personal growth that'll happen in school.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey

Just a few ideas

Don't get too wordy, keep it to the point.
Use language that lets them know you understand the terminolgy/lingo of the field (read the Ot Framework for ideas)
Apply what you know about OT to your own life, when describing why you chose OT.
Have a clear career goal/focus, but be open to exploring new areas while in school to find where you best fit.
Don't focus only on the end goal, show excitement for the challenge and personal growth that'll happen in school.

1st year OT student here. I second all of these!

Definitely don't get too wordy. It's easy to feel like you want to sell yourself to the admissions committee (which is essentially what you're doing, but be tasteful about it). Really personalize what you choose to share! Use plenty of personal, real-life examples and continually relate them to OT. As this poster mentioned, show excitement for the challenge and personal growth that will happen in the program, and demonstrate an understanding that becoming an effective clinician is a life-long process that will continue long after you graduate from OT school! :)

If you need anyone to review your statement, don't hesitate to reach out! :) Good luck to you!

Reactions: 1 user
Make the first few sentences count with a funny story something that will catch the readers attention and then do everything the other posters said. Try to explain how the experiences you’ve had in your life have led you to want to be an OT